Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Ceran(glass) top stove, kasherable for Pesach?Cover from UK?

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 12:51 am
I have a new stove this year, that has a flat black glass top.
I knew before I bought it that there are "issues" with kashering it for Pesach. In the end, I decided that I'd rather have the stove I like for the rest of the year and deal with Pesach when it comes, than buy a stove that I didn't like as much just for the sake of one week out of the year!

My plan for Pesach is to buy one of those portable electric burners (the kind that has two burners (coils), and use it only for Pesach. Then I would simply treat the stove TOP as extra counter space, and cover the whole thing with corrugated plastic. (Obviously then not use my stove top for cooking!). Tho oven is self-clean, so it won't be a problem kashering that, so I would still use it.

My QUESTION:

My friend from the UK (used to live there about 14 years ago), told me that in England a lot of people have glass top stoves (cookers), and that they have blechs made from a special heat-resistant plastic, specially for use on glass-top stoves!
I have searched the internet, and not seen ANY mention of anything like this! Does it exist? If it does, any idea where I can get it in Canada?

Before I purchase the portable one, I thought I'd try asking here Very Happy

TIA,

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 11:30 am
From what I've heard about those glass stovetops and pesach is that they are fine for pesach because they are glass they just need to be washed.
But everyone must ask their own LOR.
Did you ask a shaila?

cindy324

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 1:37 pm
I have one of those stove tops with the Ceran glass top. I just cover the entire thing with foil and cut holes for the burners, even though it does say in the owners manual that you shouldn't, why I don't know, maybe because there's a slight chance of heat damage, so I guess they want to make sure to cover their behinds. I've done this for the past 2 years and it was fine , no damage at all. Oh and a word of advice: If you decide to kasher the grates, instead of covering them, be smarter than my DH was and remove the tiny rubber "feet" from the bottoms or they will melt right off.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 1:48 pm
if it's what I'm thinking of, it's not kasherable at all and the rov warned us in a shiur not to make a mistake becuase of that.

faigie

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 1:56 pm
I have glass top but rb. b. ah made me cover it.

BrachaC

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 10:00 pm
We have one, and were told that it is not kasherable, because of the areas in between the burners that do get hot, but when heated will crack. I think Rabbi Heinemann said that he had thought of a way, but it required a specific piece which he doesn't know if exists.... I covered, bought a thick piece of wood, covered that in foil and then bought two sets of portable burners. I found that they cook more slowly then what I am used to so things like soup, meatballs and shnitzel took extra long, also I found it hugely frustrating to try and sautee many onions together because it could take all day, I was better off doing it in smaller batches. Just be prepares so you can leave yourself some extra cooking time.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 16 2007, 10:27 am
I've also bought extra burners and hated them.

nylon

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 10:32 pm
I don't have a glass top but there was a notice in the LBD Pesach supplement saying that silica-bonded-mica sheets are available to cover hobs (stove tops). It listed 2 suppliers here in London (the United Synagogue and a shop in Temple Fortune) but I have no idea how to get them in America, sorry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics