Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler "ok to wake up" clock- anyone successful?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 3:39 pm
My toddler wakes up very early and I am wondering if there is any way to keep her in bed, playing or reading, until a more decent hour... I read about toddler alarm clocks that turn a certain color or change in some way when it is okay for her to get up. Has anyone ever used such a thing? Was it at all effective? Any other advice?
Thanks so much!

myself

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 5:42 pm
I used this clock - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bunny-.....5166. It helped for a while though I don't remember for how long. Good luck!

Raw

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:35 pm
I've got the same issue. Bought the clock, toddler understands exactly how it works but still gets out if bed well before the clock turns green. Oh well. Next.

starch

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 9:06 pm
I recently bought this for my toddlers who were coming out of bed to play well before I was ready to get up. They don't follow it every morning, but they usually do especially now that they know that I can tell whether they came out of bed before it turned green. (I told them during breakfast that they were kvetchy and tired because they didn't stay in bed until the clock turned green. They were shocked that I knew that without being in their room Smile ) Once I was spending the money on such a clock I bought the more expensive one that teaches time also (on ebay for the same price as the cheaper one).

Good luck!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 9:09 pm
I use the ok to wake clock with my early rising daughter. Has worked wonders for us. We've been using it since she's 2.5, now she's 4.5. Once she got used to staying in bed she actually started sleeping in later! Now she will still sometimes wake up earlier -and if she's waiting for too long she will call us, but won't leave her bed. Also great for bedtime. We do our routine / shema / massage etc. and as soon as it turns yellow I sing her 2 songs and I leave her room. The changing colors makes it really concrete for her.
You just need to have realistic expectations -meaning proper bedtime, ideal amount of sleep not too much or little and reasonable wake up time. We made her bedtime 7pm, and wakeup 6am. (She was waking between 4:30 - 5:30 every morning!) Good luck!

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total

sunlight

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 10:10 pm
I told my little almost 3 year old son he can't come out until he sees I'm up. Most kids probably don't listen so nicely. He does.

SivanMom

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 10:15 pm
I've been using a regular alarm clock for my twin 3 year olds, and I used it for my older two children as well. Before they turned two, I taught them what a 6 looks like and a 7. I said that if there is a 6, they have to stay in their room, if there is a 7, they can come out. They never had a problem with it. Now they are 3 1/2 and I've taught them more, like 5 means go back to sleep, 6 is play nicely and quietly in bed. I never needed the special clock that changes color. They have each other to play with in their room though, which is probably why they listen. Most mornings, at 7:00 on the dot there's a bang of the door and running footsteps in the hallway as they run downstairs to play.

BA

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 10:21 pm
I also taught my son how to recognize a 6 or 7. I also covered the numbers for the minutes, so he could only see the hour
and yes, he also started needing less sleep so we moved his bedtime later and now he sleeps later in the morning!

good luck

chilled

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:34 pm
Onestepahead.com has a clock that works really well for my son for 2 years now.

myself

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:22 am
I've never seen the one that changes colors but the one I've used (see link in my post above) is extremely simple for kids to understand. Bunny asleep? Stay in bed. They would wait excitedly for the bunny's eyes to open so that they could get out of bed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics