Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Searching for modern yeshivish com in USA/Canada
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

octopus

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 8:43 pm
brooklyn?
it doesn't have an eiruv that is accepted by everyone, though. city living is tough like that. but in terms of tuition and organizations to help you, those you can find. Bais Yaakov of Boro Park (50% of the school lives in flatbush) is $5500 and that is without a tuition break. Yeshiva Torah Vodaath has a cheaper tuition (comparable to BYBP) while the other yeshivas are a couple of thousand dollars more. Torah Vodaath isn't easy to get into these days, but you just need to apply early enough. none of these schools are fancy, even though there are a few fancy ppl. In terms of education-look there is a big gap between the MO schools and the more right wing schools, but in terms of elementary schools I just mentioned the education is okay/good.

real estate is real expensive but price of living is cheaper than out of town. kosher meats and chicken are cheaper, real estate tax is cheaper, and tuition is cheaper.

blini

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 9:30 pm
I second Montreal.

I am so sorry things are so frightening there for you. Many hugs and prayers for the safety and health of your family.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 10:02 pm
Come to Cleveland, live in University Heights, send your kids to the Hebrew Academy. It's a good place.

More info:

localjewishnews.com
https://www.facebook.com/group.....wish/
http://www.clevelandkosher.org/

Deep

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 10:32 pm
I have more time now so here's a quick synopsis of Montreal.
- Small, warm community, yet large enough to boast many shuls and a wide range of restaurants, supermarkets and other amenities.
- All schools are under the jurisdiction of the Ministre and therefore comply with all academic requirements. The education is high quality.
- Preschool (birth-age 6) is universally subsidized. Parents pay roughly 150$/month for high quality care with a low caregiver/child ratio.
- Very clean city. Loads of beautiful parks and very family-friendly.
- The cost of living is low relative to other communities.
- Your French skills give you a decided advantage when seeking employment.
- Fantastic maternity and paternity benefit program.

and you certainly don't have to sweat about heat....

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:32 pm
yeah, but the montreal winters...
How 'bout north miami beach, a dream paradise!

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:

OP specifically asked for a place that is NOT hot. Also, north Miami beach does not have schooling options within her budget.

mo5

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:15 am
I was going to say Toronto- but being French speaking would be an asset in Montreal moreso. Montreal is close enough to Toronto if you need expanded older children's chinuch options (high school and beyond) that Toronto offers.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 3:46 am
your 500 tuition was per month or per year?

If it was per month, then I agree Baltimore or Montreal.... Montreal has that advantage of French language being useful..also Canada has better health insurance- socialized medicine.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 5:28 am
Nylon: sponsor how? my parents and ils would not be helping more than now, we counted their help in what we can afford.

Sneakermom unless community school is as described, I don't think a community school is for us.

Deep: that sounds very interesting!!

Thanks Kiryas Yoel amother!! though I'm not sure we would fit in Wink

Octopus: thank you! how are the high schools? we feel strongly about avoiding to send a child away before 18 at very least...

I was told Toronto is reaaaaaally expensive?

For clarity I do mean 500 per child and per month (not year).

THANKS SO MUCH LADIES!!

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:55 am
I think you should look into manchester. I was just there and did not hear of or notice any antisemitism. There is a large Muslim population however.

The community is very nice and friendly, you will have no immigration issues, housing is cheap, there are some good schools you might like (not a huge range but a few), it doesn't get too hot, and it is driving distance to your family. Some schools are private, some state subsidised.

They just built an eruv there as well.

Montreal also sounds like a good possibility for you.

CatLady

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:16 am
Montreal for sure! I think there may be an accord between our provincial government and the French government that fast-tracks immigration from France.

We have an excellent health care system, good public transit, a decent number of kosher restos, great food shopping, etc., etc. Our baked goods are so delicious that we bring stuff to our cousins in New York when we visit. Winter can be awful, but if you like cross-country skiing, skating and tobogganing, you'll have a lot of family fun.

Your French will be an advantage, although you will have to adjust to Quebecois French. LOL!

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:17 am
when Nylon says sponsor she means someone who will help you get a visa/work permit. If you have relatives who are us citizens they can help you.

nylon

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:18 am
As in, people in the USA to sponsor you.

You cannot just up and move to the USA. You need a visa. The USA is not an easy place to immigrate to. There are student visas (eg if one of you is studying somewhere), there is a special class for clergy, and there are very hard to get employment based visas. How do you plan on being able to live legally here?

Canada is a points system for age, education, profession, and language.

Toronto is VERY expensive. In the city of Toronto (not Thornhill) the price of a detached house is now over $1M. That is the entire city and the frum area is not the cheapest one. So even a condo or an attached house would be over $500,000. Montreal is considerably cheaper for housing although taxes are higher (but then childcare is subsidized and higher education is much much cheaper).

zohar

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
Come to Cleveland, live in University Heights, send your kids to the Hebrew Academy. It's a good place.

More info:

localjewishnews.com
https://www.facebook.com/group.....wish/
http://www.clevelandkosher.org/

I second Cleveland for you. Specifically University Heights. My Ils live there. Fits all your criteria. Cheap housing and tuition, warm community with an Eruv.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:30 am
amother wrote:

LOL. NMB is far from a dream paradise.

gold21

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:11 pm
Far Rockaway? Very middle-of-the-road hashkafically

Monsey? Big mix of types- there are middle-of-the-road options. And there are very large front yards and backyards

Atlanta? Don't know much about it, but people say it's really nice

Baltimore? Lots of Imamothers from Baltimore who can tell you about it

Washington Heights? No shortage of Yekkes there

Passaic? I've heard it's very friendly there

If I were you, I'd stay away from Lakewood and Brooklyn- it's very overwhelming to find your place and make friends in these very-populated places

Good Luck Ruchel :-)!!!!!!

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:27 pm
How does someone get health insurance in the U.S. these days? And what about pre-existing conditions? What can someone purchase? Are there countries where health insurance isn't an issue (financially and pre-existing conditions etc.)?

Deep

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:35 pm
Tamiri wrote:
How does someone get health insurance in the U.S. these days? And what about pre-existing conditions? What can someone purchase? Are there countries where health insurance isn't an issue (financially and pre-existing conditions etc.)?

In Canada we have universal free healthcare.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:36 pm
Tamiri wrote:

If they are eligible for medicare or medicaid they can get that. Otherwise they buy it. An agent can give detailed info regarding which plans are available to whom.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 1:29 pm
Are non citizens are eligible for free health care in the U.S.?
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating