Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cooking tips for dummies!!!!
Previous  1  2  3

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 9:11 am
ra_mom wrote:
FYI, rice in the oven:

1 cup rice
2-1/2 cups water
oil, spices, vegetables of your choice, etc.

bake, tightly covered at 375 degrees.

white rice: 1 hour
brown rice: 1-1/2 hours

Serve immediately.

for oven-baked rice, is oil essential, or can I leave it out?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 9:20 am
And what spices are good in rice?

That's another issue. Everyone just says spice to your liking, but I have no idea what spices compliment each other and what foods they go with.

Aribenj

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 9:39 am
I found that Martha Stewart's Cooking School cookbook was awesome. She explains everything from how to boil an egg to how to make a Bouquet Garni.

It's a hefty book, but it's awesome.

louche

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 10:05 am
amother wrote:

louche: love that last idea of using it as a steamer.
(But how DO you clean it?)

Most of the time it needs only to be rinsed in a strong stream of water, but every so often you can take a nail brush to it. If you're meshuga-clean aka obsessive-compulsive, you could take a toothpick or bamboo shishkebab skewer and poke it in and out of the holes, but why would you?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 1:24 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
FYI, rice in the oven:

1 cup rice
2-1/2 cups water
oil, spices, vegetables of your choice, etc.

bake, tightly covered at 375 degrees.

white rice: 1 hour
brown rice: 1-1/2 hours

Serve immediately.

for oven-baked rice, is oil essential, or can I leave it out?

If you use soup mix then you don't need the oil. But if you don't, then you need oil or sauteed onions.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 2:43 am
ra mom u wrote the potatoes baking time depends on size theyre cut-the bigger the longer????????

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:
ra mom u wrote the potatoes baking time depends on size theyre cut-the bigger the longer????????

Yes, that's right.
If the potatoes are diced small than they need a shorter amount of time.
If they are cut into large wedges, it will take a bit more time.
Basic rule of thumb: bake uncovered at 400 degrees, check after 40 minutes by sticking in a fork to see if they are tender enough. (tender, as in soft enough for you to want to eat them). If not, continue baking for another 20 minutes.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 10:14 am
Here's a cooking tip that I like to share (with old [I mean experienced] cooks too)

Onions - If you have sensitive eyes, nothing works except one...

SWIMMING GOGGLES!! They have to be good ones. If they're really waterproof, they're onion-proof too. I now dice-away

aussie2

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 1:07 pm
HI,

re- rice/ orzo to make it taste yummy..

Sautee 1 onion, add mushrooms and then do 1 cup rice, 2 cups boiling water, 2 tablespoons onion soup mix, and a bit of oil or margarine (a few slices) and bake 350 for 1 and 1/2 hours.

or another recipe- 1 cup rice, 1 cup orzo, 3 cups boiling water, 3 T. chicken soup mix, 2 T. oil. Bake at 350 for 1 and 1/2 hours. (I hope it got it right.. I'm doing from memory..)

potatoes- cut in wedges or cubes.. drizzle oil and sprinkle spices- salt, black pepper and a nice amount of paprika and bake closed for an hour and then 1/2 hour open on 350. It is yummy!!

a diff. type of potatoes- cut circle- 1/3 cup oil, 2 T. onion soup mix, sprinkle black pepper- mix together and baste the potatoes.

for a cooked veg.- sautee onion, can mushrooms, peppers, and then a few tablespoons of soy sauce and a drop of sugar- sautee a few more minutes.. then add frozen string beans (about a cup) and 1/2 cup water and simmer for 1/2 hour. (You can use this for supper or a Shabbos side dish.)

when I think of more things then I'll post...

Just wanted to wish you good luck and say that I didn't know how to do a/t when I got married and now bh I make excellent food..

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 5:54 pm
Instead of starting a new thread, I'm bumping this up to add DON'T PUT SALT IN COFFEE!!! No matter how much sugar you put in afterwards, you still taste the salt. Ick!! Can you guess I did that today Rolling Eyes ? And to top it off, it was a purchased coffee.

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:44 pm
[quote="yo'ma"]Instead of starting a new thread, I'm bumping this up to add DON'T PUT SALT IN COFFEE!!! No matter how much sugar you put in afterwards, you still taste the salt. Ick!! Can you guess I did that today Rolling Eyes ? And to top it off, it was a purchased coffee.[/quote

There was a coffee tip in an ami to add salt if the coffee is bitter.

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:59 pm
I remember eating by someone for shavos and the wife brings out a huge cheese cake. We took one taste and oh boy. She had put in salt instead of sugar.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen