Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
If I am Tznius, can I swim with men?
Previous  1  2

supermama2

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 5:57 pm
No. Not even if you are properly attired.

mdoif

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 6:40 pm
amother wrote:
My rabbi is fine with it. Ask yours, not a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Anon because I've no desire to be flamed.

Hashem is not fine with your 'rabbi' - unfortunately an unlicensed term.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 6:47 pm
Isn't the onus on the men for mixed swimming- I don't, because women have taken this upon themselves, but really the men should be leaving the pool when they see the women jump in! at least that is the way I understood it.

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 6:51 pm
mdoif wrote:

Really??

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 6:52 pm
mdoif wrote:

How do you know? Do you speak for Him?

gittelchana

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 6:59 pm
eema1 wrote:
Isn't the onus on the men for mixed swimming- I don't, because women have taken this upon themselves, but really the men should be leaving the pool when they see the women jump in! at least that is the way I understood it.

Huh? Why?

The onus is on each one of us to do what's applicable to us. Why would it be okay for a woman to swim with a man but not okay for a man to swim with a woman?

mdoif

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:00 pm
debsey wrote:

Yes.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:02 pm
I have a modest swimming suit and go swimming at the local YMCA. I've been doing water classes and swimming laps for recovery from a car accident. I've felt completely modest and comfortable in my swimsuit.

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:07 pm
mdoif wrote:

debsey wrote:

mdoif wrote:
Yes.

Wow, really? Have you been hearing voices long? Do they ever tell you to do anything you feel uncomfortable with? JK, but seriously, thinking you actually speak for Hashem sounds delusional to most.

Last I checked, Hashem did a great job speaking for HIMSELF, and if His message is unclear, we go to a rabbi. That's what I learned in Bais Yakov. Did you learn something different?
If not, where did you get your semicha?

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:07 pm
debsey wrote:

mdoif wrote:
Yes.

Seriously?

You have nevuah?

Hashem speaks to you, you speak to us for Him?

Most people nowadays who say God speaks to them and they speak on His behalf are not neviim, sadly, they have other problems.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:11 pm
My Rav is ok with me swimming for exercise/ physio at the local pool, in a modest suit. I am not swimming with men, they happen to be in the same vicinity as me, but it is exercise, not social. I have never spoken to a single man there in 5 years, and wouldn't recognize any of them in the street.

There is no suitable local pool with women only hours, we have petitioned the public pool to have some gender separate sessions with no success.

mdoif

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:15 pm
My previous reply was meant to be tounge-in-cheek. I don't 'hear voices'.

That said, graduating from a semicha course does not a rabbi make, and I reiterate my previous statement that the term is unfortunately unlicensed.

Klal Yisroel didn't come about yesterday; we've been following a mesorah of thousands of generations. So long as a rabbi paskens in accordance with this mesorah all is well and fine, but to be mattir things which were universally accepted as assur in all generations is totally out of order. It certainly does not fall within the purview of a community rabbi, but of a major posek.

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:17 pm
mdoif wrote:

That said, graduating from a semicha course does not a rabbi make, and I reiterate my previous statement that the term is unfortunately unlicensed.

Klal Yisroel didn't come about yesterday; we've been following a mesorah of thousands of generations. So long as a rabbi paskens in accordance with this mesorah all is well and fine, but to be mattir things which were universally accepted as assur in all generations is totally out of order. It certainly does not fall within the purview of a community rabbi, but of a major posek.

This is closer to something I can agree with, but sometimes rabbanim base their psak on factors which you or I would not even know are related. I say this as having years of experience in a mental health related field, and hearing of piskei halacha (from mainstream poskim) that would probably shock you.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:24 pm
imasinger wrote:
On me, the shirt and pants are 3/4 length, covering elbows and knees with plenty of room to spare. The romper/skirt is below the knee, too. PF, you want me to pm you a picture?

Sure, thanks. I'm curious what they look like when they're wet, too.

mdoif

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:25 pm
debsey wrote:
This is closer to something I can agree with, but sometimes rabbanim base their psak on factors which you or I would not even know are related. I say this as having years of experience in a mental health related field, and hearing of piskei halacha (from mainstream poskim) that would probably shock you.

Point taken.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:26 pm
mdoif wrote:

Your repeated delusions of speaking for Hashem, here and on other threads, is growing wearisome. As is your repeated violation of the rules of this site. You are not permitted to speak that way about Orthodox rabbis.

But in any case, I'll leave it up to Hashem as to whom he's going to judge well.

mdoif

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:36 pm
Barbara wrote:
Your repeated delusions of speaking for Hashem, here and on other threads, is growing wearisome. As is your repeated violation of the rules of this site. You are not permitted to speak that way about Orthodox rabbis.

But in any case, I'll leave it up to Hashem as to whom he's going to judge well.

To which rules exactly might you be referring?

BTW the following is also one of the rules:
Quote:
Posts that contradict the teachings of our Torah, or even interpretations of the Torah that do not follow our strict laws, are forbidden.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:05 pm
It's against the rules to disparage rabbis from other streams of Orthodox Judaism, which you did further upthread.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:43 pm
I will respond to the op and ignore the intentionally provocative and offensive responses. There are obviously different halakhic opinions. All of the rabbis who I associate with would say it was fine. I'm sure there are others who would disagree. You can ask your rabbi if that's what you typically do when deciding on questions of dress or you can think about what would be comfortable for you and then make a decision.

finprof

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 9:00 pm
I wear a hydrochic suit at my local public pool as do many in my community. We are MO.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics