Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Vacationing in EY during war.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 9:45 pm
We made reservations 6 months ago to vacation in EY with our family who lives there.

On the one hand, we've already paid and it would be nice to see our family who we don't see very often.

On the other hand, it's war!

People are fighting for their/our lives and we're going to go on vacation?

Bein Hazmanim is cancelled for many and we're going to play?

On the third hand, we would obviously spending our American dollars which would be good for the economy.

What do you think?

justforfun87

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:26 pm
By not going, you are giving into the terrorists. Hamas celebrated when Ben Gurion airport was just about shut down. All these anti-semites are boycotting Israeli products. Many Israelis feel abadoned by their brothers and sisters in Galus. Go on your trip, enjoy yourself, and spend a lot of money!!

hila

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 12:46 am
There are no guarantees, but if you are not intending to go to Beersheva or south of it , life is more or less as usual. We are going to work, going to the pool, seeing kids, etc etc.

Come enjoy, spend your money. Learn what the Home Front say about where to be during a siren. You will have a great time BeH.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 12:56 am
hila wrote:
Learn what the Home Front say about where to be during a siren.

This.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 2:51 am
I promise you I heard this just yesterday - perfect timing to help you Tongue Out

My DD went to a talk by a soldier who had just come out of Gaza - he said that people are considering cancelling their holdays and that it would be wrong to do so...the whole point of the war is that life should be NORMAL and Israel should be SAFE and people should be able to GO ON with their lives as normal!

The tourist industry is reeling there....please go and spend!!!!!!!!!!

freidasima

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:49 am
Come come come!!!
When I heard that Bloomberg ran over here to show solidarity it brought tears to my eyes. Seriously. When I saw the whole NbN group coming here that too brought tears to my eyes.

We need you here. Iy"h you will stay in safe places and you just have to know what to do if you hear a siren. There are definitely places where you should NOT be traveling in the country but there are others where you should be traveling. Better stay indoors as much as you can but there are safe outdoor places that a lot of the youth group camps moved to earlier this month, Tzefat, Tveria etc. Yeah it's hot but that's life.

Come, show solidarity and give your family a thrill that you care and are with us.

mandksima

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 6:32 am
Definitely come! Find some ways to help you and whomever you are coming with emotionally connect to what is going on here. Maybe bring treats from abroad (underwear, deodorant, toothpaste, etc too) and give them out to soldiers. You can also go up to random soldiers on the street and say thank you for doing such a hard job and how appreciative you are for their protection. It means a lot to them that others (especially outside Israel) are really thinking about and caring for them.

We are also wondering whether to do any sort of summer trip here. We like to go camping but it is out in the open, near the northern border and there are always lots of Israeli Arabs there. At the current time, I would not want to be sleeping in a tent outside next to them.

It might feel funny just to book a hotel and have a grand ole time as if nothing was going on here but if sirens go off, your trip won't be normal anyway. The businesses need tourist business so you are helping by coming. Bring lots of chizzuk with you!

ewa-jo

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 6:39 am
Unless you are going to the South, things here are not that crazy. You should come and enjoy your trip... and like other suggested, bring gifts for the soldiers... or take your kids for some volunteer opportunities for helping the soldiers or families in the South.

I dunno... I came to Israel to do volunteer work in 2003.. during the 2nd intifada... because that's when I had time to go to Israel to do volunteer work.

5*Mom

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 6:59 am
Definitely come. And if you are my sister C O M E !!!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:57 am
I would rather send money than go and expose myself and my kids to fear (even if no danger, it is very scary to some who are not used to all this). Anon because it's not a popular view in some circles and don't feel like fighting.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 11:56 am
You didn't say where your relatives live. Sderot? Ashdod? Beer Sheva? Well if you just want to spend quality time all together in close quarters that may work (not). What do your relatives say? If their attitude is that you're crazy coming, don't if you were planning on spending a lot of time with them. If their attitude is like everyone here then come for sure but make sure to ask the airline if you can have a free second piece of luggage. And you'll go home with better vacation stories than any of your friends have. And don't feel bad about vacationing while other people are involved in a war. People will really appreciate that you're vacationing here and not at Niagra Falls

etky

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 12:06 pm
amother wrote:
I would rather send money than go and expose myself and my kids to fear (even if no danger, it is very scary to some who are not used to all this). Anon because it's not a popular view in some circles and don't feel like fighting.

This is a legitimate feeling. If a trip at this point is going to be too stressful then it may be better to come at a different time. Also, everyone's circumstances are different. For example, if you have family here who you are coming to visit that changes the equation. If your kids are the fearful type that is also something to consider. If this is one trip of many that you plan on making that is one thing - if it is the trip of a lifetime that you've been saving and skrimping for that is another thing etc. There are countless factors that go into a decision like this. Only you know your exact circumstances and therefore only you can be the judge of what is right for you and your family.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette