Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Great Job Opportunity...please pass it on

smilingmom

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 6:55 am
A Message from the
Shomrim Society of the New York State Courts

New York State Courts - Exam/Employment Opportunity
The NYS Courts have announced an open-competitive examination (open to members of the general public) for the position of Court Officer Trainee. The starting salary (with location pay of $3,697 in NY City, Nassau and Suffolk counties) is $43,468.* The maximum salary rate, after successful completion of a two year trainee-ship, (with location pay, in NY City, Nassau, and Suffolk counties) is $71,170.00.* This entry-level position can lead to future examination based promotional opportunities with salaries well in excess of $100,000.00,* including many exam-based opportunities in the non-uniformed Court Clerk series. Positions with the NYS Courts offer generous benefits - including medical, dental, life insurance, and retirement pensions. Additionally, court employees initially (first year) receive 4 weeks vacation, 12 paid holidays, and 13 sick days.
The filing deadline is August 14, 2014. Applications and a non-refundable $30.00 fee are to be filed electronically at: http://www.nycourts.gov/career.....html. An email address, credit card, or reloadable debit card are required for successful filing.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old, a U.S. citizen, a NY state resident, have a high school diploma or the equivalent, and a valid NY State driver’s license. Currently, there is no maximum age limit for appointment (subject to change). Sabbath Observers are accommodated. For further information (job description, qualifications, subject of examination) visit the website: http://www.nycourts.gov/career.....shtml
*Ongoing contract negotiations will likely lead to increased compensation.

manyhats

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 11:22 pm
smilingmom,

Very nice of you to post.

Any idea @ nature of jobs and skills needed?

smilingmom

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 6:44 am
This specific announcement is for the job of court officer. They are the uniformed officers in the courthouse. They protect and keep order in the courts.
Besides passing a written exam. You must also pass a physical and psychological test.
You only need a high school diploma and after two years you earn over $70,000 plus great benefits.

sungood

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 11:05 am
Please let me understand I read the post you posted 5 years ago
If the announcement is for court officer and you apply you apply for that only or you can change it later?

Because for me to put on the uniform and a gun I think wouldn't work Confused

miami85

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 11:29 am
Yea, how would that work for someone who only wears skirts?

JAWSCIENCE

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 1:23 pm
People post looking for jobs for their husbands all the time. I assume most people's husbands do not wear skirts.

smilingmom

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 2:30 pm
This is basically the same announcement as five years ago. The test is given once every five years. They generate a list of passing scores and hire for five years from that list, based on the score.
As far as skirts, there are some female seventh day Adventist that wear only skirts. The frum female court officer wears pants.

Once you are a court officer there are many promotional opportunities, including positions that do not require a gun.

smilingmom

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 7:17 am
Only two more weeks to apply.

Lady Bug

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 9:44 am
I'm just wondering if this job would work for a chassidishe man I.e. beard, payos, culture of colleagues

kollel wife

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 9:59 am
Does anyone know if there is something similar that exists in New Jersey?

smilingmom

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:24 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
I'm just wondering if this job would work for a chassidishe man I.e. beard, payos, culture of colleagues

The culture is definitely macho, but one frum court officer I know earned the respect of all his colleagues by his strength and respect for everyone, he also learned Shas in his free time instead of hanging out with the 'boys'.

So to answer your question, he will probably do very well here, especially, if he respects everyone but doesn't sink to their level.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics