Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Israel for the First Time

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:51 am
I am thinking about traveling to Israel this winter IYH for the first time. I'd like to get some input from others before deciding to travel.

I'd like to realistically know how many days would be considered "just enough," "enough," and "just enough" to really enjoy myself and explore. I'll be traveling and staying alone so I won't be "tied down" by someone else wanting to rest or compromising on activities to do (Not that there is anything wrong with that. I am simply explaining it for the time I have to accomplish things purpose).

I'm not the type of a person to go on a tour, and I would rather explore myself. Are there any places that I should try to do with a tour? Also, if my time is limited, IYO which sites should I skip in order to make room for others?

Thank you!

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:25 pm
I think that there may have been too many exciting threads today so this one was overlooked. Anyone have any input? Thanks

Maybe I need to call that amother who was opening the travel assistance company, but I don't think I need that service at this point.

debsey

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:30 pm
Do you have family there? I think that makes a big difference in your time allocation. I went for 2 weeks last year and I did - one week family and one week touring. But I've been to Israel many times and lived there briefly, and so I was able to skip a lot of the touristy stuff because I'd been already.
Does that help you?
I'd definitely recommend doing certain things as tours. The Kosel tunnels; Masada - things like that are better with a group and tour guide.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:35 pm
Thank you, Debsey. I have extended family only and would not spend more than a day with them. I have a few classmates there as well, but again, would not need more than a few hours with them.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 10:02 am
A self-guided tour is definitely doable. The first question is, will you be renting a car, or using public transportation? Because some areas are easier to visit with your own car.

I would say 1 week would give you enough time to explore the basics, say, Jerusalem for 3 days, Tel Aviv for 1-2day, you can still go up north like Tzfat and Kinneret (mind you, winter tends to be grey and rainy).

Try to plan where you're going to spend Shabbat first.
Also for family visit, rather than driving yourself from one relative to another like crazy, find a convenient location, book a restaurant and ask everyone to come in.

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 10:16 am
Hoffman tours for a day to Masada & Ein Gedi (plus Dead Sea swimming & camel rides).
Tunnel tour is a must - book online several months in advance.
Grab a tour to Chevron & meoras hamachpeila as well (either Hoffman or there's a guy with a van who advertises around geula & goes on Wednesdays , I think).
Take a bus to tzfas & enjoy amazing views, quaint art places & great pizza.
Make sure it's not raining then.
Walk around the old city. Catch the exhibit of the "burnt house".
To relax I'd do at least 10 days. Anything less is too hectic for me.
Enjoy.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 10:26 am
Of course, attractions in and around Yerushalayim.

As long as it's not raining (or being bombed), you may enjoy touring the South. Mitzpeh Ramon makes for great winter hiking.

There's a lot to see in the North. What sots of things do you like to do/see?

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:36 am
DrMom wrote:
Of course, attractions in and around Yerushalayim.

As long as it's not raining (or being bombed), you may enjoy touring the South. Mitzpeh Ramon makes for great winter hiking.

There's a lot to see in the North. What sots of things do you like to do/see?

I like to do almost anything by myself.

I definitely enjoy hiking, but I wouldn't do that in an unfamiliar place alone unless it's a well traveled area or extremely safe. I hike a lot during my free time. I enjoy visiting libraries and I'm sure that I'll have to allot myself at least a day to visit a college in Israel and just observe people & walk around. I'd also like to visit komenius which I understand is a full day of traveling (back and forth). I do want to see the main sites which is why I may have to sign up with a tour for a least one day or so.

I realize that I won't be able to do everything I'd want to, but seeing what everyone suggests will help me to prioritize. I'm planing to go for 10-16 days IYH so according to what others are typing here, it looks like I'll be able to see/accomplish a lot.

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 12:59 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
I like to do almost anything by myself.

I definitely enjoy hiking, but I wouldn't do that in an unfamiliar place alone unless it's a well traveled area or extremely safe. I hike a lot during my free time. I enjoy visiting libraries and I'm sure that I'll have to allot myself at least a day to visit a college in Israel and just observe people & walk around. I'd also like to visit komenius which I understand is a full day of traveling (back and forth). I do want to see the main sites which is why I may have to sign up with a tour for a least one day or so.

I realize that I won't be able to do everything I'd want to, but seeing what everyone suggests will help me to prioritize. I'm planing to go for 10-16 days IYH so according to what others are typing here, it looks like I'll be able to see/accomplish a lot.

The Diaspora Museum is on the campus of Tel-Aviv University, so perhaps that would be a way to kill 2 birds with one stone.

As for hiking: There are many national parks with well-marked trails that are extemely safe. Check out:
http://www.parks.org.il/Pages/default.aspx
(English link in upper left corner)

belolah

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 7:00 am
In Jerusalem there is a hop on hop off bus that will take you to the main sites. I would allow at least a full day for the old city, including tunnel tour, burnt house, southern wall excavations etc. Tunnel tours gets booked quickly so book as far in advance as possible.
I really like the Begin museum just outside the old city. You need to book a tour for this.
Kever Rachel and Hevron can also be done in a few hours.
Massada you could climb by yourself if you enjoy hiking, there are almost always people on the snake path. you can do the Dead Sea the same day as massada and there is a lovely nature reserve with waterfalls called Ein Gedi nearby.
3-4 days to travel round sfad and the kinneret. There are probably some hikes in the north you could do by yourself that are safer but I don't know enough to tell you which specific ones.
A day or 2 in Tel Aviv for Diaspora museum, shuk hacarmel, Nachalat Binyamin craft market on Tuesdays and Fridays (unless it's changed), beach, waterfront etc.

gmgv

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 7:09 am
if you're fanatic about doing every attraction possible, you'll be there for a while...However, the usual amount of time that people go for is 10 days- 2 weeks and you can accomplish a lot in that time.
Spend a day in Tzfat especially if you enjoy art. It's a fascinating place to walk around and there are also holy sites.
In Jerusalem, the Kotel obviously, the Kotel tunnels, Shuk Machane Yehuda.
If it's safe Me'arat Hamachpeila is great and there's an Egged bus that goes right to the kever.
I'd definitely recommend you visit Israel, it's a great place!

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 7:28 am
The shuk is soo amazing!!

also Meron is a must

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 10:36 am
Thank you!! Thank you!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics