Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Watch out - $1 purchase means Credit Card theft

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:30 pm
Today I checked my TD bank statement and found a pending transaction of $1 from overstock.com. I contacted overstock.com.

They said someone got hold of lots of credit card numbers and they test each one by billing them for a $1 donation through overstock. Then they go ahead and purchase items using the credit card numbers.

By the way, overstock's loss prevention number is 866-211-0729.

The $1 was refunded to me.

Please read all your bank statements so make sure this does not happen to you.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:36 pm
Thanks for posting.

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:44 pm
Yes, I have also had a small charge from an unknown source, no idea what it was but I called the bank right away to freeze my account, I have heard that scammers start with a test amount and if you don't notice it and it goes through then they start with big bills.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 2:07 pm
What about a 2 dollar transaction under a non bank atm withdrawal? Does that need concern? I took out money but that is seen under a transaction before

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 2:17 pm
amother wrote:
What about a 2 dollar transaction under a non bank atm withdrawal? Does that need concern? I took out money but that is seen under a transaction before

If you have actually withdrawn cash from a non-bank ATM, $2 transaction fee (or penalty?) sounds kosher. Especially if you have basic checking, or you use out-of-state or out-of-network ATMs. You should be able to check a list of fees from your bank's website.

mfb

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 2:29 pm
I had this a few years ago. I think the charge was on ebay. It was for $1 and change. When we called they told us they had flagged that persons account already, since they were suspicious of all the cards he was using. As soon as we said it was a stolen number they credited us.

mandr

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 4:45 pm
I get this a lot because I buy a lot of slick deals and the totals are often less than a dollar and being that they are purchased online, I have to use a credit card. My cc company usually calls me to ok it when that happens.

mirror

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 4:48 pm
mandr wrote:
I get this a lot because I buy a lot of slick deals and the totals are often less than a dollar and being that they are purchased online, I have to use a credit card. My cc company usually calls me to ok it when that happens.

Cool. Can you recommend deals any for us?

mandr

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 4:59 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
Cool. Can you recommend deals any for us?

At the moment, all I see is:

40% off Children's Place.com including clearance with coupon code FORTY3. Shipping is free. Offer is valid today only. Lots of kids stuff for under $2.

I basically find stuff on www.slickdeals.net

mirror

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 5:23 pm
mandr wrote:
At the moment, all I see is:

40% off Children's Place.com including clearance with coupon code FORTY3. Shipping is free. Offer is valid today only. Lots of kids stuff for under $2.

I basically find stuff on www.slickdeals.net

You are amazing. I don't have the patience to read through all the nonsense to get to the good stuff. You know, Mandr, I really don't mind if you would start your own thread just to give me a heads up when you see a good deal. Thanking you in advance.

mandr

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:44 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
You are amazing. I don't have the patience to read through all the nonsense to get to the good stuff. You know, Mandr, I really don't mind if you would start your own thread just to give me a heads up when you see a good deal. Thanking you in advance.

Ok, I'll try to remember to start one the next time I find something good.

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:47 pm
mandr wrote:
Ok, I'll try to remember to start one the next time I find something good.

PLEASE do, mandr. I never heard of slickdeals.com and now I see a lot of useful stuff on there. Thanks!
debsey

cholenteater

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 9:22 pm
Yes thank you Mandr! I had not heard of this site- it seems great!Smile

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 11:29 am
amother wrote:

The $1 was refunded to me.

Op here.

I contacted Overstock today because my $1 charge was still on my card. She said it's the bank's fault.

She also told me they do not require the 3 and 4 digits on back of the card. Instead, they review the order and contact the customer to make sure the order is valid.

But how would they have my contact information? This makes no sense.

mandr

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 11:31 am
I've started a thread here.

granolamom

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:
Op here.

I contacted Overstock today because my $1 charge was still on my card. She said it's the bank's fault.

She also told me they do not require the 3 and 4 digits on back of the card. Instead, they review the order and contact the customer to make sure the order is valid.

But how would they have my contact information? This makes no sense.

was this on your credit card or your bank statement?

something similar happened to us, small charges on our credit card, and then a big one ($2000 for software shipped to a company with an arabic sounding name with a shipping address that turned out to be a pizza shop) I called the cc company and they froze the account, we didnt have to pay the charges and we got a new card.
go right to the bank and tell them you found a suspicious charge. they can contact overstocks.com and figure it out.

chaya35

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 9:31 pm
I recently had that the cc company called me to verify some transactions because they suspected theft. I asked them what made them suspected it they said there was an international charge for 1cent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics