Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cincinnati- City and Kollel
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, May 31 2011, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone know what tuition is and if the Kolell members get a break?

http://chds.shul.net/Tuition%2.....2.pdf

dunno abt the break part tho....

amother

Post Tue, May 31 2011, 6:16 pm
Great info! Thanks to all!
Anyone who is or was in the Kolell around now?
Was your husband happy? Was the schedule tough?
and did you work? or you have your hands full with community tasks?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 31 2011, 9:14 pm
Spoke to a highschooler there just now who said that the school is "officially" a bais yaakov -- what I said is true (no rule re: no internet, they allow questioning, etc) but it's a bais yaakov like you'd find anywhere OOT, and even some places "in town". There is no one bais yaakov mold, but this without question qualifies.

She gave me some starting point about the day school, but I plan on contacting someone who is a parent and teacher there shortly to make sure my info is accurate in regards to separation of grades, demographics, etc.

Regarding tuition, not sure about the high school, but the day school tuition information is available here: http://chds.shul.net/parents.html For this coming year, tuition for 1st through 8th is $8130.00. They handle tuition assistance through FACTS (Baltimore also uses this company), and there are also vouchers available from the state, so there are definitely ways to get a break. I can't say if they automatically give breaks because of kollel, or if it's income driven, which would be lower in kollel couples.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 31 2011, 9:17 pm
amother wrote:
Great info! Thanks to all!
Anyone who is or was in the Kolell around now?
Was your husband happy? Was the schedule tough?
and did you work? or you have your hands full with community tasks?

(If anyone wants to be in touch with a former kollel member, PM me.)

Not sure if anyone on this board was in the kollel (doesn't seem to be too many respondents) so I'll take the liberty and say that it seems like most kollel wives do work. There is not as much pressure on the wives for community responsibilities as other kollelim out of town as it's not an exclusive kiruv kollel. Most do have guests, but wives giving shiurim and such are not really obligations.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 2:47 am
Does anyone have information on the education in the day school? I heard its very laid back and the level of education is not necessarily up to par with other schools?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 10:50 am
Depends where you're coming from.
There is definitely a movement to increase the level of education, but that's the way it is nationwide, and it puts a lot of pressure on students.
When I was there, 8th grade did high school algebra, and I was ahead of my high school class.
But these days everyone is in a rush for their kids to grow up quicker. It's all perspective, IMO.
But it's a community day school. The level of education will be good, but not competitive with modern schools in the tristate area, say. But most parents are happy; it's a few newcomers (and not usually the kollel parents, incidentally) who want to change things.

My call was not returned last night re: separation of grades...the highschooler I spoke to believes 6th grade they separate for everything except math, definitely by 8th they're separated for that. But I need to confirm this.

nacs

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 11:13 am
cincinnati is a vibrant active community- growing in torah and engaged in constant chesed. I am happy to respond to any questions you may have but I encourage you to visit and see for yourself!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 11:41 am
Hi NACS, Do you know the info on the day school?
What grade its stops being coed and if the older grades 7th and 8th have what to do with each other.. I.e: are the classrooms on different floors, differnet recesses etc?
Thanks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 12:27 pm
Not different floors; that's for sure. It's a one floor building Wink

nacs

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 3:43 pm
fifth grade is split for kodesh- 6th, 7th and 8th are split for both kodesh and chol

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 8:52 pm
Math too?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 10:32 pm
Just got off the phone with a parent/teacher and her info was different.

She said that 6th grade separates for kodesh, 7th for chol, but it's been like this for a few years, and she was hoping it would drop down but so far it hasn't. 8th is still together for math, she believes (her oldest is only 11?)...so I wonder what is accurate Smile (She's ok with me passing on her contact info if anyone wants. Former kollel member too.)

This coming year, they have enough kids to split preschool into 2 classes, so it looks like they're doing it by gender.

They used to have separate recesses; not sure if they still do...

What else? Level of education -- great strides have been made by people working hard to improve it, and she sees it. Nothing to worry about in that regard; it's really a great education.

Most of the crowd is black hat type, especially in parents of younger grades, but the more modern feel very comfortable and everyone really gets along with each other...

amother

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 9:35 pm
Just saw this now... months old.... curious to know whatever became of your decision? I live in cinci Smile

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 11:58 am
Hullo! Wink
wondering if they separate more now? earlier?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 12:16 pm
I'm going to respond to your PM Smile

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 10:12 pm
Hi! Any update on openings in the Kollel?

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 10:21 pm
Different amother here. Looking for updated information.
What is the schooling situation re mixed classes, at this point? What is estimate of how many kids are from a mainstream religious home vs not really Orthodox?
Are state services available (speech, OT, PT) to any extent? What about provisions for a high needs kid- any idea on how the school is with that? (obviously, if Cincinatti is a viable option for us, I'd contact the principal directly with my child's IEP).
How much is housing? What is available?
Is there anyone actively working within the community to recruit, meaning helping those that are interested in moving with job search, etc?
It doesn't seem that Cincinatti is a very small OOT community. More like a large city though obviously it's not NY. So, is cost of living really cheaper there, considering the need for two cars (I'm assuming), more expensive kosher food, only partial tuition assistance.
Please provide any additional info regarding the community. TIA.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 10:47 pm
amother wrote:
Different amother here. Looking for updated information.
What is the schooling situation re mixed classes, at this point? What is estimate of how many kids are from a mainstream religious home vs not really Orthodox?

Within 2 years, the assumption is that all grades will be separate. Middle school by school policy is completely separate, 5th grade for Judaic. Next year's 5th grade has 12 kids that I know of (tiny class!) so I doubt they will be separate for secular. The incoming 4th grade has 23 or 24 I can think of (24 is the threshold for not separating the class). That class had been separated for years till this year when circumstances made it be combined (there are 21 kids this year; at least 2, maybe 3 are moving in this summer). The incoming 2nd and 3rd grades are separated already. The incoming first grade is being separated not by gender but by Montessori style. The school is trying Montessori integration into the elementary school. The class that was in Montessori preschool will be separate from the class that was in a more mainstream class, but both will be taught with the goal of combining them into 2 Montessori classes for the following year, boys in one, girls in the other. That second year, it will be combined with incoming first grade boys/girls for a traditional Montessori model, assuming it works well next year in its pilot year.
I would say if not 100% religious, very close to it. I personally have no problem in any of my kids' classes (I have 5 in the school) worrying about not kosher homes.

Quote:

Are state services available (speech, OT, PT) to any extent? What about provisions for a high needs kid- any idea on how the school is with that? (obviously, if Cincinatti is a viable option for us, I'd contact the principal directly with my child's IEP).

No personal experience to speak with. I do know when I was in the school 25 years ago, I was evaluated for speech there Wink

Quote:

How much is housing? What is available?

Great question!! Housing is supposed to be affordable, and it is..when you can find something. There are a lot of families moving in and looking for homes right now within close proximity to the shuls and not much on the market...yet. I heard on Shabbos of another house going up on the market that isn't listed yet, so I am hoping that there will be more as it's now spring and prime time to list houses. There are a couple frum people (realtors and the like) who you can work with to hopefully find something. Expect to pay between 170-230 for a decent sized home, with larger ones more in the 400-600 range. Property tax is 2% in the main frum neighborhood. I heard tonight that there is talk of expanding the frum community to a nice little pocket in a different neighborhood, still part of the eruv, still eligible for school vouchers, but a bit farther out from the shuls. I think if a bunch of families moved in together, it may work, but I would be hesitant to suggest one family be a pioneer Wink
Quote:

Is there anyone actively working within the community to recruit, meaning helping those that are interested in moving with job search, etc?

Absolutely! This is a huge benefit that many other communities are lacking -- frumcincinati.com -- Rabbi Binyomin Teitelbaum works with people to arrange a pilot trip and show the community, arrange hosting for Shabbos, find people houses and jobs, and everything you need.

Quote:

It doesn't seem that Cincinatti is a very small OOT community. More like a large city though obviously it's not NY. So, is cost of living really cheaper there, considering the need for two cars (I'm assuming), more expensive kosher food, only partial tuition assistance.

Depending on what you mean by "small OOT community", I am not sure what you mean. Jewish wise, especially frum wise, it's pretty small. It IS a city, and not rural farm land, but the frum community is small.
You probably will need 2 cars, but insurance I venture to guess is cheaper than NY (I never lived in NY to compare), tax is cheaper, though there is income tax in the main Jewish neighborhood for local city tax with no deductions if that matters. Tuition vouchers are 4250/kid for elementary. If you're very low income, the rest is waived by the state's law, but if not, and tuition is still a struggle, the school does have scholarships available. Either way full tuition is 9000. Without any scholarships, if you get the state vouchers, that's 4750/kid which is quite reasonable.
Daycare/playgroups are more limited and more expensive though.
Kosher food I don't find to be so expensive. Many people are members of Costco where we can get 2 lbs of shredded mozzarella for 7.99, a twin pack of Amnon's frozen pizza for 16.89 or something like that, Empire frozen cutlets for 9.99/2 lbs...
Also the frum community is max 3 minute drive to the school so you are not using so much gas . Everything seems to me like it's within 10-15 minutes; we have one car right now and only fill it up like once in 3 weeks (it helps that my husband I don't have a commute).

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:25 pm
Thanks so much for your lengthy and detailed response, HY.
I'm sorry I wrote the wrong thing, I meant to say that it seems to be a small city, more like Chicago, rather then oot where I might have 100 families, a third of whom are barely affiliated. But I understand what you are saying about the schooling. And while there is obviously a mix, with the full spectrum of religious observance, it sounds like there is a large core of frum families.
Regarding housing: you gave a huge range, spanning over $300K. To narrow it down, we'd be looking to rent a 3 bedroom house and eventually buy a 3-4 br house. What are we talking? $400k? More?less? and what is rent like (assuming we find)
Thanks for answering all my questions!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 11:35 pm
I don't think there are quite 200 families yet in the frum community if you want a ballpark figure. Chicago is MASSIVE compared to Cincinnati. They have multiple schools and options, elementary, high school, boys, girls. A few neighborhoods, countless shuls, dedicated kosher stores.

Cincinnati has one more Jewish school, but it's non-denominational; there are a couple frum families who do send there, but it means there are options for non-religious as well, which helps the frum school attract a frum clientele.

On most blocks, you're looking in the first range I gave. That's the crux of the community. As you go farther out, the houses get bigger and more lavish and jump up in price accordingly. I am just giving that as a warning because if someone is set on moving and buying and there aren't cheaper houses on the market, they may end up looking at that price range if it's something that doesn't scare them. But most people aren't living on those blocks. I can't remember how much rent is for a house; I want to say in the 1500 range, but I may be off by a little. Well under 2000 for sure. Renting is probably easier than buying right now, actually.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating