Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
KOSHER ZUMBA/ Frumba help
Previous  1  2

What do you expect in a Kosher Zumba class?
Instrumental music only  
 20%  [ 8 ]
Instrumental music that is "Jewish" style  
 12%  [ 5 ]
Spanish music only  
 12%  [ 5 ]
Jewish music only  
 37%  [ 15 ]
Jewish music that are parodies of other songs/ "non jewish" style music  
 17%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 40

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 3:26 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Let's be really honest, ladies
Is that ok ? Smile

Zumba comes from African avoda Zara

What's wrong with good old fashioned aerobics
When I was single I went to living well lady and another gym on kings highway and coney and it was perfect

Why the constant need to be more fake frum and more non jewish at the same time

Where are you getting this from? Zumba is latin/hip-hop/salsa/dance party inspired. Yes, there is the occasional song in another language, but there's no idol worship (except maybe Justin Bieber.....)

Personally, I don't do Zumba because I'm not so interested in shaking my hips looking like a frum Jewish mommy shaking her hips who has delusions of being Beyoncee, but it's definitely not avodah zara......There are some people who are perfectly frum who have an "itch" or a fantasy to go clubbing or what have you, and doing this lets them scratch that itch a bit. Harmless sublimation, in my opinion.

But if it was Frumba I'd expect a heavily edited playlist. No inappropriate words or songs with crude themes. I'd want it to be G-rated.
Good luck! I hope you have fun and make a good living at the same time!
debsey

syrima

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 3:27 pm
another vote for instrumental - and for hip movements

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 4:09 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Let's be really honest, ladies
Is that ok ? Smile

Zumba comes from African avoda Zara

What's wrong with good old fashioned aerobics
When I was single I went to living well lady and another gym on kings highway and coney and it was perfect

Why the constant need to be more fake frum and more non jewish at the same time

Aerobic excercise was invented for astronauts, and the first time that astronauts landed on the moon, one of them performed avoda zara on it.

Think I'm making this up?
http://aerobics.indianetzone.c.....s.htm
http://www.snopes.com/glurge/communion.asp

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:09 pm
I wouid expect jewish music and aidel moves.

good luck with that!

chaos

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:25 pm
Personally, a regular Zumba class would be frum enough for me as long as it is women-only. I currently take a women-only Zumba class, regular latin music and hip movements, etc. and I'm perfectly happy and comfortable with this. I don't have a need to make my class "frummer" by changing the moves or the music.

But really, I think you're asking the wrong crowd. Clearly, everyone has a different definition of what Frumba/Kosher Zumba really is. I think if you want to start Frumba in your community, you need to be asking the women in your community what they want and expect from a Frumba class. This is also a great opportunity to do other market research, like the best times to offer classes. Good luck!

chaos

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:35 pm
I know two Zumba instructors, both frum women. I do not know if they run specifically kosher Zumba/Frumba classes. PM me for the info, as I don't want to post my location.

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:51 pm
chaos wrote:

But really, I think you're asking the wrong crowd. Clearly, everyone has a different definition of what Frumba/Kosher Zumba really is. I think if you want to start Frumba in your community, you need to be asking the women in your community what they want and expect from a Frumba class. This is also a great opportunity to do other market research, like the best times to offer classes. Good luck!

This is good advice. And once you make your decision, have a disclaimer. For example, if you use an edited playlist, say that.
If you use popular dance party moves, say that.
Let people know what they are in for, and maybe you can offer different options. I take a class with a woman who does a "lyric free" bootcamp and a "edited playlist" bootcamp. So people know what they are getting in for.
debsey

Jewishmofm

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:24 pm
I'd go with regular zumba moves to instrumental music. I do all my exercising to instrumentals, nice and beaty.

As for the avoda zarah aspect - zumba is very similar to - and has been referred to lumped together with - African Tribal Dance. This may be the source of confusion. Just fyi, african tribal dance is neither african nor tribal. It just sounded exotic, hence the wacky name.
AFAIK the only exercise form that originated with Avoda zarah is Yoga (I've been told that not all forms are a service).

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 5:36 am
yeah yoga is a form of avodah zara. does anyone know what the deal is on that? like, if you're not focusing on that aspect can you still do it? many many things have started it's origins in avodah zara.

think about Jazz- I'm not even going to say what it was first used for.

seriously guys I do not know what you're getting this african tribal thing from I do use some african/style funk music sometimes tho. but it's mostly based from the hips- that's not african. african dance style is more large muscle groups and not as hip-py . feel like I just said that a million times

chaiz

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 5:42 am
amother wrote:
yeah yoga is a form of avodah zara. does anyone know what the deal is on that? like, if you're not focusing on that aspect can you still do it? many many things have started it's origins in avodah zara.

You really need to ask a knowledgeable rabbi about that. Just becasue everyone does it does not make it kosher. Recently I asked my rav and he said it is for sure problematic. So contact a rabbi who knows about it and will be able to guide you how to about it.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:14 am
amother wrote:
think about Jazz- I'm not even going to say what it was first used for.

Mixed dancing? shock

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:16 am
Jazz has it's origins in pretty bad places. It used to have that connotation but not so much anymore. But think about when they start playing a sax in a romantic part of a movie.... that's where it came from

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:24 am
amother wrote:
Jazz has it's origins in pretty bad places. It used to have that connotation but not so much anymore. But think about when they start playing a sax in a romantic part of a movie.... that's where it came from

I thought jazz had its origin in ragtime, blues, slave spirituals, African rhythms, improvisation, syncopation, et al. I never heard that jazz originated in corny romantic movies. Scratching Head

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:25 am
amother wrote:
What in the world could you be talking about? What What

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:32 am
k I give up I was trying to prove a point that we lost that connotation but never mind!

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 2:41 pm
Jazz Is a Four-Letter Word

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:20 pm
amother wrote:
k I give up I was trying to prove a point that we lost that connotation but never mind!
I still have no idea what you are getting at.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics