Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What would you do?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:55 am
My DD needs major surgery. I have researched many doctors and narrowed it down to two. Here is my dilemma < Dr. A is known to be very good, takes my insurance so I will not have to pay a dime. Dr. B comes a little bit more recommended but is not on my insurance so I would have to pay to get new insurance. The hospital that Dr. B is in is a much better hospital and was rated one of the best. The hospital where Dr. A is in is a not bad hospital but not the tops.
Which doctor would you take your child to.

TIA

kb

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 1:04 am
I'd ask a rabbi. But would most probably pay more for the better doctor and hospital.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 1:20 am
I would speak to a medical referral agency, but for major surgery would probably pay for the better one if it was an option.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:23 am
Can you ask a Jewish agency to help you get into Dr B and still afford it?

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:28 am
kb wrote:
I'd ask a rabbi. But would most probably pay more for the better doctor and hospital.

Ask the Rabbi what???

Surgery is VERY expensive. Is this for a major but very specialized surgery? If not specialized, Dr. A is very good and the hospital is very good (even if not tops), I would use him.

Which doctor do you feel more comfortable with?

myself

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:41 am
It very much depends on the type of surgery.

Is it a delicate procedure that can have long term ramifications or is it routine surgery?

If it's not very complicated I'd go with Dr. A.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:40 am
Can you find out if anyone else has had experience with either one of the doctors? Ask them what they thought of them, etc.

I was nervous about DD having a surgery done, and when I mentioned the doctor's name a lot of people said "Oh wow, he's great! Don't worry about a thing, he's one of the best. You're lucky to get him." It really put me at ease to know that, and B'H everything was just fine.

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:48 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Ask the Rabbi what???

Surgery is VERY expensive. Is this for a major but very specialized surgery? If not specialized, Dr. A is very good and the hospital is very good (even if not tops), I would use him.

Which doctor do you feel more comfortable with?

I agree with this.

If both doctors are competent, I'd also rather not pay...
To the person who said--oh, there may be a tzedakah organization to help you...I think that should be used for extenuating circumstances--and this to me, isn't. I may be hesitant to donate to such charities if it's being used because someone wants to be at 5-star hospital.
Yes, do some research, and trust your gut--and also think about what follow-ups entail--will you have to follow with this doctor for a long time, forever? Not having to pay $50K + for surgery and hospitalizations when you can get the same quality of medical care--is a BIG deal.

chatz

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 9:38 am
I would say Dr. A

have you met either doctor? I once went to a doctor who was supposed to be expert but whose mannerisms made me feel like a lab specimen. I switched to a doctor who made me feel like a person.

Rereading your post, I realize you wouldn't pay full price for Dr B and the surgery, just the price on new insurance. That does make a difference. Is it money you can afford or would you go into debt for this?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 2:41 pm
Op here.

Thanks for your responses.

I have never met Dr. B because he is not on my insurance and I was told that if they find out I have Medicaid they will not see me even for a consult if I pay for it out of pocket. Also the office staff are really nasty and wouldnt give me the time of day when I called with questions.

I saw Dr. A he was really nice took his time explaining everything told me I could call him or see him in his office if I have more questions. What my DD has is very rare that he only operates on about one child a year with it. My problem is more than the doctor I am not so thrilled with the hospital from what people have told me but when I was there with a couple of my kids I had a positive experience but just one time when they wanted to give my DS a neutralizer treatment for the baby in the same crib before my child was there. The hospital that Dr. B operates in is a top notch hospital that everyone raves about but it is a bit far from me and if my DD needs follow ups it is hard to get to.

I have consulted with a jewish referral agency and they said both are good but Dr. B is a bit better.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:26 pm
When I was young I had a very rare emmergency. I needed an operation on my overies. My parents had medicaid plus a different insurance (they may have purchased it when a dc had to be airlifted for life saving operation). My parents found a dr that had experience- he has done TWO before me. He was not a medicaid dr, but the hospital did accept it.

long story short, when I am asked for my medical history I am usually asked which overy am I missing. I am so grateful to my parents that I can answer NONE!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 5:53 pm
When my son needed heart surgery, everyone said use this dr. in this hospital. My insurance did not cover it. People told me to beg, borrow to have the surgery in this hospital. The hospital that the insurance covered was a very good hospital but not as a highly recommended. I used that hospital was very happy and bh my ds is fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics