Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost of health insurance in the US

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:28 am
Can anyone give me an idea of what it would cost to insure my husband and myself for decent health insurance in the US? ( I believe my children will be able to be covered by the healthy kids plan in the state that we are moving to). I appreciate the information.

STovah

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:33 am
Totally depends on which state you move to. In NYC it will probably cost you $700-$1000 per month to insure 2 adults.

busydev

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:37 am
it really depends on a few things. what state are you moving to? How old are you? Will either your employer or your husbands employer offer insurance? If yes, you will not be eligible for a marketplace plan (some premium covered by the govt depending on your income). If no, then you may be eligible.

Best bet is to find an insurance broker in the area you are moving to and get quotes. They can help with all insurance types and questions.

For me: I live in the midwest and am 26yo. I was quoted a non market place ins with a monthly premium of just over $300. I can get onto Dh's employers insurance for $400 a month. This does not include copays OR the deductible. (an additional $1000-1500 depending on the plan in my case, tho there are higher deductibles with lower premiums from what I have seen) Dh is a couple years older and his quoted premiums are a few dollars more.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:45 am
DH and I pay about $950/month. We have copays but a low deductible

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:54 am
I'm in NYC on a plan from the exchange.

it's a gold plan, w/copays and low deductible: @ $450 a month.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 11:24 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
I'm in NYC on a plan from the exchange.

it's a gold plan, w/copays and low deductible: @ $450 a month.

450 for you alone or it includes DH??

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
450 for you alone or it includes DH??

me alone. we each have our own plan.

(there were many cheaper plans available, but they didn't suit my medical needs)

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 12:13 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
me alone. we each have our own plan.

(there were many cheaper plans available, but they didn't suit my medical needs)

thanks for explaining. Im the amother above who pays $950. I was trying to figure out how you got a good plan for half the price Smile

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 12:27 pm
amother wrote:
thanks for explaining. Im the amother above who pays $950. I was trying to figure out how you got a good plan for half the price Smile

I paid $850 before the exchange, just for me. that was craziness.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:03 pm
We pay 2500 a month. No that isn't a typo....

supty

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:09 pm
My husband's employer offers insurance but we still have to pay over $500/month for the plan. Someone posted above about being able to get money paid towards the premium? Anyone know anything about this? In New York by the way.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:15 pm
supty wrote:
My husband's employer offers insurance but we still have to pay over $500/month for the plan. Someone posted above about being able to get money paid towards the premium? Anyone know anything about this? In New York by the way.

I think you misread, she was talking about plans on the healthcare exchange

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:48 pm
amother wrote:
We pay 2500 a month. No that isn't a typo....

Just for the 2 of you?? Do you at least have good coverage?

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 4:27 pm
when we last purchased health insurance it was years ago before all of this craziness (I'll happily pay the fine rather than pay today's prices).

If health insurance cost what life or car insurance cost, I'd happily purchase it. the best we could do was over $1200 a month back when we bought it. Now we could do $500 a month or so--- with a $6000 deductible. $6000 out of pocket PLUS $500 a month? No thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics