Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Searching for modern yeshivish com in USA/Canada
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

boysrus

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 1:51 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Are non citizens are eligible for free health care in the U.S.?

you have to be at least a permanent resident (green card holder), not just be on a 3 yr visa.

nylon

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 1:59 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
If they are eligible for medicare or medicaid they can get that. Otherwise they buy it. An agent can give detailed info regarding which plans are available to whom.

Or through their jobs, like most working age Americans.

But the cost of healthcare in the US typically wipes out the difference in taxes between here and Canada or the UK. The middle class is now doing better in Canada than the US. And let's not forget, 10-15 days paid vacation only (which the employer is not required to give), no paid maternity leave, no legally required sick time... Socially you are better off in Canada.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 3:00 pm
What about Chicago? There are different schools to choose from, an eruv, apartments within your budgets, and some less expensive housing depending on what you're looking for. There are several families here where the parents are French or grandparents are French. Tuition varies by school, but there are also scholarship options for those who meet financial criteria.

Whoever it was that asked about pre-existing conditions, Obamacare has made using those to deny healthcare illegal. You'd have to get to the green card stage though. Otherwise, most schools offer some form of health insurance for their students.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 10:27 am
Looking into!!!

Deep

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 11:16 am
Ruchel wrote:
Looking into!!!

Good luck! If you need info or contacts in mtl, I'd be glad to help.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 11:38 am
Octopus: how the is mentality in Brooklyn? more intense or more laid back, live and let live? of course there are always exceptions but as a whole. I said Brooklyn to my husband and he has a very "NY stereotypical" idea of it LOL.
Also, how is the more right wing education there for middle and high school?

Zohar + Cleveland amother: can you tell me more on what is Hebrew Academy?

Mo5: isn't Toronto way out my budget?

Catonmylap: can you tell me more about Baltimore (lol)?

Chicago amother: does it seem like there would be a school for us?

Sponsoring: how closely related need the relatives to be? I have distant cousins in both Canada and USA...

nylon

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 11:42 am
Brooklyn "more right wing" is VERY right wing. "Modern yeshivish" is more middle of the road in Brooklyn.

You need someone closer than a distant cousin. Of course there are other routes, it all depends on a lot of particulars. But you do need to take immigration into account... Americans can't just up and move to France either. Smile

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 11:43 am
Here are the laws for family sponsorship: http://www.uscis.gov/green-car.....amily

Brooklyn is intense. Some areas more so than others, but it is intense.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 1:24 pm
[/quote]

Different poster, but can answer this. Arie Crown sounds like a good match, BUT it is only elementary school; no school in Chicago is continuous through High School or even affiliated with a High School. They are totally separate.

busydev

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 2:04 pm
OOTBubby wrote:

Different poster, but can answer this. Arie Crown sounds like a good match, BUT it is only elementary school; no school in Chicago is continuous through High School or even affiliated with a High School. They are totally separate.[/quote]

Chicago does seem to tick off a decent amount of your criteria. the schools dont continue striaght as OOTBubby said, but there are def options. I would think JDBY would also be a possible elem school for your daughters... IMO (as a not yet parent, who taught there for a couple years, went to school there and have sisters that are/were there) it seems to fit. There are def modern yeshivish there... Arie Crown doesnt seem to have as many yeshivish (modern or otherwise) type ppl there... tho I could be wrong.
For boys there is YTT, Ohr Boruch/Veitzner Cheder and ACHDS.
There are 2 girls high schools and 3 boys high schools/yeshivos. they are not affiliated with the elementary schools however.
Tuition... they do work with people to a point. I think the current minimum tuition per a child at JDBY/YTT is under $4000 a year... but not everyone gets discounted to the minimum.
All these schools are well established and not closing any time soon.

chicago is mostly ashkenaz and you can find yekkes here (you can also find sfardim)
It is a pretty large city that keeps growing. some neighborhoods are more competetive then others but its def not the majority of the community IMO. different areas are more welcoming then others... but I think we are pretty warm here, tho I cant say for sure as I grew up here.
got lots of different shuls. got the eruv (not everyone keeps it tho) got the rent I think ( for 3 bedroom apt). got mikvos. got the butcher. got a few kollelim and the yeshiva. got the post high school program. HAve some hot days in the summer. Got LOTS of cold days in the winter. this summer has been REALLY mild tho!

tho from what I know of you.... you may like a smaller community more....

Also maybe check out South Bend? They have just one day school with a total mix of yeshivish to MO. Also fits much of your criteria from what I know.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 2:12 pm
About size I can handle many sizes. I grew up in a type of out of town Euro community, weekly minyan, everything was a drive (except shul!). Moved to a HUGE community (abt 25 000 yidn in the city itself) near Paris. In walking distance I have schools (not the one I use but lol) two butcheries a mikve 5 or 6 restaurants maybe 10 shuls a library various Jewish shops maybe 5 Jewish supermarkets. In short driving distance several kollelim, several butcheries, several schools... I will adapt to size if there's what I need.

I want to thank you ALL again, really. wow. Heart

zohar

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 2:20 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Zohar + Cleveland amother: can you tell me more on what is Hebrew Academy?

I am not so familiar with the academy as I myself am not from Cleveland. But from what I see, the hanhalla mostly light yeshivish hashtags and the student body is mostly made up of right wing MO and lite/out of town yeshivish with some very yeshivish kids and a few more modern kids. The girls wear tznius uniform and most are dressed tznius out of school. The boys and girls are totally seperate. I think the girls high school, Yavneh, is considered a Bais Yaakov school.

octopus

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 2:30 pm
There are some things that I hate about brooklyn and some things that I love about brooklyn. I'm not originally from brooklyn and it took me a few years to really acclimate myself. It's city life and its not like OOT. People aren't necessarily the friendliest on the outset. A lot of it depends block by block. But in terms of conveniences and daily cost of living is lower than many places in the tri-state area. And there are job opportunities as well. I know ppl love to complain about brooklyn attitudes, and yes, there are ppl that fit the stereotypes, but there are plenty of really nice ppl if you are willing to keep your eyes open. Of course there are nicer places to live, but if you are thinking about tuitions and cost of living, then I would keep all options open.

as far as right wing education- I probably the wrong person to talk to about this, but even if a school has a reputation for a "good" education they think the more they make you memorize and spit back information= amazing education. The girls right wing schools do not teach inferential skills. not really. which in my mind is what makes a person a lifelong learner. The MO schools are much better at doing that. But there are plenty of schools to choose from.Some better than others. If your child is bright, you may have to supplement on your own as the right wing schools do not have enrichment programs, but if your child needs extra help, there is plenty of free services available.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:06 pm
I have neighbours I only see once a year for mishloach manos, if that's what you mean for Bklyn it's absolutely no problem (I actually prefer this to intrusive though I prefer friendly). I met several families from my street (frum) online lol. I don't worry about enrichment programs as we do without here also.

Writing down everything ladies! Wink keep it coming!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 3:30 pm
Cleveland amother here. Ruchel, the Hebrew Academy is a day school run by yeshivishe people and with a mixed parent body. http://www.hac1.org/

Mosdos Ohr Hatorah is the more right wing school, but I think you might prefer HAC.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 6:31 am
thanks!! difference between Mosdos and Hebrew academy is about chol level?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 7:50 am
Chol for the girls is pretty similar in both schools. Chol for the boys is better at HAC.

Mosdos is the no-TV school. But don't picture the strict right-wing schools you can find in NY/NJ; it's a chilled OOT no-TV school.

HAC has more money, so they have nicer facilities and more resources for the kids (especially for kids with learning difficulties).

amother

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 7:58 am
Ruchel, Cleveland also has a MO school: http://www.fuchsmizrachi.org/

The HAC student body is a range of types: some yeshivish, many varieties of just-plain-frum families, a few MO, and a few not frum.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 8:10 am
We don't have tv! we also aren't used to fancy facilities/ressources. We def would rather pay less for a simpler service as long as the academic level fits...
MO in America seems much more tzioni and progressive oriented than the old school Euro MO I am familiar with. I don't think it's for us.

wow just got several pms!! thanks so much, ladies!
Just bear in mind our tuition budget, and no Gemarra for girls/more of the right wing feel!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 10:42 am
Ruchel, I don't know much about the Montreal community but I can see how it could be appealing for you, between the language and ease of social services and immigration. But from what you're saying, it sounds like you'd be comfortable in a nice size OOT community, in a middle of the road yeshiva type school.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating