Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Broken glass... who pays??

amother

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 11:29 pm
My cleaning lady broke a few things before, but today she broke an expensive pitcher that I loved !!!
1) do I ask her about it?? She hasn't told me about it yet.
2) Can I expect her to pay for it?? Or half of it??
What does one do in this situation?

RedVines

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 11:37 pm
Honestly I think it comes with the territory, I have a cleaning lady who-burnt a shirt, shrunk a great sweater, broke a glass dispenser, traifed up knives etc. Where I live help is pretty inexpensive, so DH is like whadya gonna do? You take the good and the bad...But I do understand, It is so fustrating and annoying and you feel like they should have to make up for it!

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 9:16 am
you need to hire a more competent cleaning lady - there is a limit ... tell her you'll split cost ... take off her salary ... unless you are better off than her financially...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 10:04 am
Al pi din you cannot charge her or deduct the breakage from her wages. Ask your rov for details.

JMto2

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 10:12 am
I say that this is part of having a cleaning lady what you can do is nt have her touch the expensive items like crystal and do it all yourself and also you can ask her to be more careful

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 10:14 am
How would you feel if you were working somewhere and you accidentally broke some office item ( a telephone, a computer..) and they told you they were going to take it off your wages?
It's part of employing someone.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 2:27 pm
I break a lot of things at home AND at work - shades, food processors, printers . . . my boss knows not to get me anyuthing too pricey....and at home, ditto!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 2:37 pm
Over the years I've broken several glasses when I was a guest at people's homes. . . I've always said that I could pay for it, but the hostesses have always said no and wouldn't give me a price.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 3:10 pm
one of the kids broke a toy at a friends' house and I found the same thing at a store and got it for her ...and she appreciated it.

Defy, I think that ppl expct glasses to break.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 5:26 pm
One year on pesach when my son was about 3 my dear sister was over and accidently broke a few wine crystals - my son looked at her and said go home you cannot break our glasses - it was very cute and funny then ... but we look back and still laugh ... I bought cheaper ones and wouldn't you know it - they haven't broken yet ...

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 5:48 pm
I pay about 50c for my glasses. I expect to have to replace them every couple of years.

I definately do not think you should have your cleaning lady pay. If she is really really careless get a new one, or make sure she is not handling expensive stuff. If she is not, then it is not her fault.

(What was she doing with it? Was she washing up? If that is part of her job, you can definately expect stuff to break. My cleaning lady has never broken anything, but she doesn't wash up)

I was once in a shopping mall and bought a toy car for my ds, for about $5. I was sitting down and he was playing with it on the floor, when a passer by stepped on it and it broke. It was totally not his fault, but he asked me where I got it, and then went and bought a new one!!!!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 6:44 pm
OP here! Thanks guys...
Good advice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette