Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Please tell me all about Teaneck
Previous  1  2  3

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 7:23 am
Squishy wrote:
The benefit to living in an area near Monsey is that OP would be close enough to get the benefit of the lower tuitions. I wouldn't recommend Monsey itself but a surrounding area. Depending on how close she must live to her husband's job in Jersey, South Chestnut Ridge might be a good fit.

The very large majority get scholarships. How can OP suddenly start paying for 6 tuitions when she is concerned about renting a 2 bedroom apartment for 8 people? From what I do know about the North Jersey communities, they are more affluent than Monsey. Her children would likely perceive themselves as different due to finances. I also don't know if scholarships are as readily and as generously given. 6 full tuitions at Northern Jersey prices might not be doable.

I have friends and relatives in these communities and we have discussed the support for those in need. Monsey has stronger resources. I am not saying OP is in need of them. I am saying that there are quite a few others who have large families crammed into small spaces. Their children might be dressed in a similar manner to OP's children and have a similar amount of things.

I was surprised by the bare bone rooms the kids occupy and the sparse amount of clothes most kids have when I moved here.

I didn't say OP should move to northern NJ. But schools in Northern NJ have excellent scholarship orgrams with the added benefit of teachers and administration that doesn't seek to emotionally and physically abuse children.

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:22 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I didn't say OP should move to northern NJ. But schools in Northern NJ have excellent scholarship orgrams with the added benefit of teachers and administration that doesn't seek to emotionally and physically abuse children.

Usually I agree with you on the education part (for my family). I even admit to considering sending my children to the school you had mentioned in a previous thread. The type of schools that emotionally and physically abuse the children are not the OP's heshkofar. She wouldn't want them and they wouldn't take her. Also I think it is tougher for the smaller school system starting with the higher tuitions to absorb so many children. The bottom line is important to OP and it doesn't matter the percent off.

What percentage do you think are on scholarship in Northern Jersey? I would estimate that it is close to 90 percent here based on how much of the total tuition dollars go to fund scholarship students. I only know very few that pay full tuition and of those many get the kollel discount.

I don't know of any families that send to public schools because of an inability to pay. There is usually another issue involved (which unfortunately is not so private). The community does find the resources to educate the poorer children.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:50 am
As a Passaic resident I think it could work for you. We have a bunch of rentals here that are half a two family house. Some are tiny but some are pretty large. Manhattan is commmutable easily by public transportation. And I know several geirim and countless bt's and they all integrate with everyone else.

I will give you a realtor's phone number so you can ask about prices: Rivka Bodenheim: 973-773-4663. People here often live where they can get what they need and walk to whatever shul suits them best.

Elizabeth/Hillside an Highland Park could also work. Any amother's who can give OP realtor contact info there? Or in Teaneck as she asked?

nylon

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:53 am
Squishy wrote:
The very large majority get scholarships. How can OP suddenly start paying for 6 tuitions when she is concerned about renting a 2 bedroom apartment for 8 people? From what I do know about the North Jersey communities, they are more affluent than Monsey. Her children would likely perceive themselves as different due to finances. I also don't know if scholarships are as readily and as generously given. 6 full tuitions at Northern Jersey prices might not be doable.

If OP is looking at a 2BR apartment at, what, $1500, 6 full tuitions anywhere isn't on the table. In Bergen that would mean something like $100K (at least) of pretax income JUST for tuition. That set of numbers doesn't add up.

Wherever she goes, OP needs a substantial tuition break. Even Baltimore tuition.

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:56 am
nylon wrote:
If OP is looking at a 2BR apartment at, what, $1500, 6 full tuitions anywhere isn't on the table. In Bergen that would mean something like $100K (at least) of pretax income JUST for tuition. That set of numbers doesn't add up.

Wherever she goes, OP needs a substantial tuition break. Even Baltimore tuition.

Do you mean after tax income?

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 9:01 am
amother wrote:
As a Passaic resident I think it could work for you. We have a bunch of rentals here that are half a two family house. Some are tiny but some are pretty large. Manhattan is commmutable easily by public transportation. And I know several geirim and countless bt's and they all integrate with everyone else.

I will give you a realtor's phone number so you can ask about prices: Rivka Bodenheim: 973-773-4663. People here often live where they can get what they need and walk to whatever shul suits them best.

Elizabeth/Hillside an Highland Park could also work. Any amother's who can give OP realtor contact info there? Or in Teaneck as she asked?

She asked for info on Monsey and other locations.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 9:15 am
Squishy wrote:
Usually I agree with you on the education part (for my family). I even admit to considering sending my children to the school you had mentioned in a previous thread. The type of schools that emotionally and physically abuse the children are not the OP's heshkofar. She wouldn't want them and they wouldn't take her. Also I think it is tougher for the smaller school system starting with the higher tuitions to absorb so many children. The bottom line is important to OP and it doesn't matter the percent off.

What percentage do you think are on scholarship in Northern Jersey? I would estimate that it is close to 90 percent here based on how much of the total tuition dollars go to fund scholarship students. I only know very few that pay full tuition and of those many get the kollel discount.

I don't know of any families that send to public schools because of an inability to pay. There is usually another issue involved (which unfortunately is not so private). The community does find the resources to educate the poorer children.

Yeshiva of Spring Valley does all those things and is hardly "extreme" when it comes to Monsey.

I don't want to clog up OP's thread but in one noprthern NJ school I know of, about 1/3 of the student body is on scholarship. Schools are expensive, but most of the schools find ways to keep students.

nylon

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 10:26 am
Squishy wrote:
Do you mean after tax income?

I didn't, but I rethought the numbers and realized I underestimated--it was early in the morning. So yes, $100K after tax, or closer to $150K pretax, in that bracket.

Paying 6 Bergen County tuitions in full (I don't know if any schools give large family discounts as a matter of course separate from scholarships) is out of the question for most people, much less OP.

zohar

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

Good point! LOL

We're frum. I dress tzinus, no pants, don't do tights, do wear tichels or a sheitel. Not Yeshevish, not mo.
I guess I should add that we are Gerim.

From your description, I would suggest you look into Passaic. There are many newcomers to yiddishkeit and they seem to integrate beautifully there. It is IMO less materialistic than most of the tri-state area. It is very centrally located. I think less than an hour from lakewood manhattan and Monsey.

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 12:55 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Yeshiva of Spring Valley does all those things and is hardly "extreme" when it comes to Monsey.

I don't want to clog up OP's thread but in one noprthern NJ school I know of, about 1/3 of the student body is on scholarship. Schools are expensive, but most of the schools find ways to keep students.

There is no widespread emotional and/or physical abuse. I would have heard about it for sure in the girls division. Rabbi Frankel would not tolerate this. The parent population is filled with professionals who are hardly the type to put up with physical or emotional abuse. With a student population of 1600, you can get some miscontented parents.

I was interested in my son attending and I spoke to numerous parents. I heard nothing about this except for one family that claimed YSV couldn't handle the boys. They didn't claim abuse. These are the same boys who are disruptive in shul and in team sports carpool. . My close friends recommend this school. I know quite a few of the female educators and they are uniformly professional and refined. I am sure you can get an individual teacher who is not good, but I don't think it is widespread. YSV pays on time and hires experienced teachers. We chose not to send my son there because we wanted a higher level of learning.

The large majority of the parents are on scholarship despite all the nice cars in the parking lot.

These was one rebbe about 5 years back who was arrested for something zexual. The administration was pro active and didn't cover up. Since I didn't send to YSV I was only on the outside looking in, but I thought it was well handled. I saw a letter sent to the parents.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 2:19 pm
Another vote for baltimore here! you would love Rabbi Goldberger's shul-lots of BT's, geirim, FFB's. Baltimore is a wonderful accepting non-judgemental community.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:53 pm
amother wrote:
You can find a 3 bedroom apartment in Linden for about $1200 or a house for about $1600, it's a growing community with new families moving in all the time, it's also about 35-40 minute commute to Manhattan by train or bus. We really love it here, there are tons of kids and everyone is really genuinely there for one another. There are options for schools, shopping, and you can even make do without two cars if need be.

I looked into it there. It was impossible to find house rentals, the community was super cliquey and tiny. The school options were in Elizabeth (which is cheaper with more rentals FYI).

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 12:23 am
I homeschool in Passaic. People have talked about NNJ tuition and Bergen County communities as if they're all the same. Passaic (Passaic County) is VERY different from the areas around Teaneck (Bergen County), both hashkofoh - wise and cost etc. One thing to be aware of: you're talking about your husband's income doubling from relocation, but also adding a huge amount of tuition at the same time and at least doubling your rent if you're to live anywhere in this area, never mind taxes etc. The income increase is not going to do it, unless I misunderstood.
You say NJ for work - but that covers a large area - can you be more specific so we can help more in narrowing down the possibilities for commuting?

If you post on the jewishorthodoxandhomeschooling Yahoo group I can answer you directly - I just don't want to out my username here - or you can set up an email address to communicate.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 5:44 pm
Op

Once again thank you all so much for all your responses! You've all been extremely helpful. Smile

I think we're going to go for Passaic. It's in the Teaneck/Passaic area of NJ that there are the most job opportunities for DH and Passaic is just sounding like a good match for us.

We weren't planning to put the kids in school this year, we figured that we would need to get settled first, see how much dh makes, what housing costs are, etc. before we could get a good idea for schooling.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 1:23 am
For Passaic housing:

PassaicJews Yahoo group
Facebook - there is a page for the community
Kehillaconnections.com
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating