Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Why is every Shabbos nachamu retreat sooo expensive???

citimom

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 3:43 am
Really feel like I need/want to go to one of these inspiring and relaxing family shbbos nachamu retreats they are advertising all over but who wants to pay over $1000 for a Shabbos?? Wow. I get paying a decent amount but it just seems crazy that there are tons of people who clearly are doing this!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 4:52 am
Beats me. What

I thought $5,000 for a full Pesach at a hotel was expensive. I'm glad we did it, but I doubt we'll ever do it again.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 5:52 am
Supply and Demand - simple economics (I learned it in 8th grade). As long as people are willing to pay they'll charge that (doesn't matter that you think it's too expensive, enough people are willing to pay that)

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 5:58 am
I never knew on shabbes nachamu it's a thing to go to a hotel. Wouldn't be for me to move out just for a week end.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 6:35 am
Ruchel, In europe, people go away for 2 weeks or a month on vacation. In the USA I guess people have so little vacation time they might only be able to go for a weekend.

Eishes Chaim

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 6:52 am
I think that most of those ppl that are doing it, are people that work throughout the summer and can really use their break. Knowing that it's a one time thing, they might sometimes look away at the price, to get that needed getaway weekend.

citimom

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 10:05 am
It bothers me so much that were constantly preaching about not spending $ and going into debt. So I guess a late percentage of the frum world is just that wealthy...!?!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 10:35 am
citimom wrote:
It bothers me so much that were constantly preaching about not spending $ and going into debt. So I guess a late percentage of the frum world is just that wealthy...!?!

I hope so, that's a heartening thought.
I just heard Rabbi Simcha Bunim Cohen's most recent motzai Shabbos shiur (via Kol Halashon). As he's said, if Moshiach isn't here he'll be in Lakewood for Shabbos Nachamu, and is available for chizuk for anyone who can't make it anywhere exciting.
For anyone who wants a Shabbos Nachamu getaway, maybe do something pampering for yourself, treat yourself to some yummy Shabbos food, takeout if it's easier, buy a good book or two, and during your free time on eruv Shabbos watch a video of your favorite speakers via Torahanytme, Naaleh, Youtube, etc. Voila - Shabbos Nachamu in style!

sky

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 10:45 am
It kind of makes sense that it is expensive - figure hotel room big enough for family for 2 nights is 300+ + food + kashering kitchen + entertainement and staff

I agree that people working full time the whole summer (like my family) want a break. But I've decided that $1000 is just not worth it. I have no vacation in the summer (or the rest of the year other then yomim tovim) so I try to get the most out of a short weekend vacation (Friday afternoon through Sunday).

Some of the hotels that are around the entire summer may have somewhat cheaper deals - or programs that you may find on shabbosgetaways.

We were also thinking of renting a house in an area near a shul like Tannersville, Hunter, Fleishman, or catskills and buying takeout - is still expensive - but still much less. In some ways in house with kids is much easier because you don't have to keep them up for meals and there are more then 1 bedroom.
Or just go and visit family and friends that want to have us - FREE - and makes people happy.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 12:47 pm
Wow Sad
So many threads about PS and tuition and yet so many ppl have 1000 for one Shabbos
True boggles the mind

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 12:51 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Wow Sad
So many threads about PS and tuition and yet so many ppl have 1000 for one Shabbos
True boggles the mind

I know. It does boggle the mind. But we're not Robin Hoods or communists. People who have the means are allowed to enjoy them. I know people who live well but have so much they still support many, many causes.

debsey

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 12:55 pm
Because we live in a capitalist society where the cost of anything (I.e., prices for goods and services) are set freely by consent between sellers and consumers, in which the laws and forces of supply and demand are free from any intervention by a government, price-setting monopoly, or other authority.

Or at least....that's what I remember from Econ 101.

If the demand meets the price, the price will remain high....simple as that. There are people who can afford this. They pay. I can't. I don't go. That's just life......

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 12:57 pm
why davka this shabbos? Whats wrong with the shabbos after? Or the next?

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 1:20 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Wow Sad
True boggles the mind

This comment really bothers me. While I am not going to one of these programs, we have done so once or twice many years ago. At the time we did , we were paying full tuition (for a large family; at one point it was around $75,000 a year) and giving tzedaka well beyond anything we were obligated to. And moving on, I've supported my married children as needed (and still do). And, no, I am NOT rich, but as long as I've met all of my obligations and more, I can choose to spend money on what I want when I want.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 2:08 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Wow Sad
True boggles the mind

And just to expand on what I said about it being heartening: Someone was surprised that I was (mildly) distraught over a local store closing. I explained that as all these stores are closing, not only is the area getting a depressed feeling, but it doesn't bode well for the economy. It could be that since they're in klei kodesh they weren't thinking like I do, but my next stop on my train of thought was, and if the economy is going well, my husband's company will do well.

When I see people building additions to their home, my first thought (with lo sachmod coming in a close second sometimes, I am human, after all) is, B"H, if people can do this then maybe the economy is doing well.

So if there are people who can do this, I try to tell myself that kind of good crunchy stuff. It is interesting how the whole Shabbos Nachamu thing has evolved. Maybe back in the day the "haves" went away to the country to their favorite hotel's summer package weekend. Now it's become major. And not just that, but the entertainment and programming isn't simply kosher, but meaningful. Very interesting. Haven't heard from Fox much lately but I'd love to hear her take on this.

Chanala1

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 8:20 pm
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FwOC.....amed+(2).jpg
only $650

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 4:15 pm
Someone is making a profit, don't forget. A hotel and and catered food are huge expenses and moneymakers. If you ever get take out piizza or a burger, you know you are paying a lot, lot more for them then it actually costs to make at home. But you're not only going for the food and lodging, you're going for the fun and the experience, and it's hard to put a price tag on fun.

For example, I go on a Retreat every year. last year, at the end of the event, they offered the participants to lock in the same rate if they left a deposit, then when they announced the venue, they offered me a payment plan. I paid the amount over 10 months, then when it was paid off, I charged my plane ticket. I'm going next week and it's all paid for, BH.

If you want to attend an event that's pricey, the only way is to plan for it. Nice things cost money. We don't eat out, we don't have a car. I have my sheitlach done infrequently. I don't even buy books. But all year, I look forward to my Retreat and I plan accordingly.

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 4:23 pm
Why are all of them so expensive? Because it's a luxury, plain and simple! It might be a luxury that people budget for, or even need, but it is still a luxury.

And the high demand. Maybe wait another week and it will be cheaper.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 4:24 pm
There is BZ retreat in Lake George for a week for up to a family of 8 , for only 1100. But its only open to Lakewood Bnei Yeshiva..

I will post number on sunday..

Ruchel

Post Sat, Aug 02 2014, 4:49 pm
I never knew it had to be shabbes nachamu before I saw the ads etc. Very random, no?

In fact when we couldn't afford holidays and left for a "week end" we made sure it was NOT including a shabbes... maybe cultural Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics