Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
A different kind of charity

amother

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 1:09 pm
They say the highest form of tzedaka is to enable someone to become independent. I look at all the appeals for tzedaka and I wonder why there aren't more organizations along these lines:
- to assist with college tuition so people can get a degree or at least learn a trade
- to pay for babysitting so a mother can work
- to pay for continuing education courses in various fields
- to pay for driving lessons and/or a car for those who live in areas where it's needed (as opposed to them being dependent on volunteer drivers)
- to teach better money management in a non-judgemental way

flmommy

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 1:15 pm
Great ideas

gittelchana

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 2:43 pm
amother wrote:
They say the highest form of tzedaka is to enable someone to become independent. I look at all the appeals for tzedaka and I wonder why there aren't more organizations along these lines:
- to assist with college tuition so people can get a degree or at least learn a trade
- to pay for babysitting so a mother can work
- to pay for continuing education courses in various fields
- to pay for driving lessons and/or a car for those who live in areas where it's needed (as opposed to them being dependent on volunteer drivers)
- to teach better money management in a non-judgemental way

These are great ideas but I'm not sure if all of them would be considered Tzedaka. My understanding is that Tzedaka entails directly helping someone on their feet. For example, hiring them or lending money to start a business etc. I don't think money for a degree would count as Tzedaka.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 2:46 pm
gittelchana wrote:
These are great ideas but I'm not sure if all of them would be considered Tzedaka. My understanding is that Tzedaka entails directly helping someone on their feet. For example, hiring them or lending money to start a business etc. I don't think money for a degree would count as Tzedaka.
[quote]
How could it not? It's giving a person the ability to support his family.

jkw

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 3:05 pm
IMHO, learning about money management is one of the best ways of helping yourself.

check out sites such as:

Mesila.org
Kosheronabudget
Penniless Parenting

the ability to set financial goals and achieve them is standing on your own feet.

HTH

zigi

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 5:17 pm
giving money for tuition prevents a person from taking out loans will save money too.

gittelchana

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 9:16 pm
[quote="amother"]
Quote:

How could it not? It's giving a person the ability to support his family.

Okay. I asked dh. He showed me where it says it in Hilchos Tzedaka. Yoreh De'ah Siman 249 Se'if 6.

It speaks about 8 levels in giving Tzedaka. The highest level is to support someone who is "squeezed" or "slipping" financially, by going into a partnership with him, lending him money, giving him presents etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics