Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What kind of phone do you have-smartphone or "old fashioned"
1  2  Next

what kind of phone do you have?
iphone / smartphone  
 56%  [ 111 ]
"old fashioned"  
 43%  [ 86 ]
Total Votes : 197

little neshamala

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 10:42 pm
so my husband and I have been holding on to our regular, "old fashioned" not too smart phones for some time now...we have a really cheap plan, combined we only pay about 20 dollars per month.

recently we've been looking into upgrading to smartphones but whoa! kind of expensive to switch over to a data plan...I feel like we're the last remaining souls who are clinging to our "dumbphones". it seems like everyone has a smartphone nowadays! it got me thinking out of curiosity- just what is the percentage of us dumbphone users?

so what kind of phone do you have?

(and if theres a reeeeeeeally cheap smartphone plan out there that im not aware of for sprint, kindly let me know) ;-)

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 10:45 pm
I have one of each.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 10:46 pm
I use a dumbphone, dh uses a smartphone.

acemom

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 10:49 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
I use a dumbphone, dh uses a smartphone.

Same here.
My phone is only used when I am doing errands etc. I am connected to the computer most of the day anyway so all data usage is reserved for then.

rj123

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 11:21 pm
I have a dumbphone as well.

Bruria

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 11:39 pm
Smartphones make life easier, much better!You can google directions, message through gtalk, read something, very useful!

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 3:25 am
I wonder how this would vary by country.
Or by community.
Here in Israel, I rarely see non-smartphones anymore.

grace413

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 3:38 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
Or by community.

I still have a dumbphone and so do DD and DH. I even have a friend with no cell phone at all.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 5:20 am
I don't live in the US, but I have an old-fashioned phone and so does dh for everyday use. He has a smartphone that he uses sometimes when he travels.

Dh just renewed his cellplan and is entitled to a free new phone, but they only offer smart phones. He's keeping his old phone. We refuse to get smartphones on principle.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 5:24 am
There is no option for "ancient". LOL

I have an old Nokia "brick", that is literally older than my daughter. You can pound nails with it. I've dropped it on the pavement more times than I can count. It's so old that when the faceplate finally broke (after 10 years of use) I had to find the replacement part on Ebay.

When I take it in to Verizon, all the guys from the back have to come out and look at it, like it's a museum piece!

You can have my phone, when you pry it out of my COLD, DEAD, HANDS! I love my dinosaur phone. Very Happy

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 6:14 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
Or by community.

I think it varies by community. I have a smart phone and a dumb phone. I let my kids use the dumb phone when I need to be able to be in touch with them. DH has 2 smart phones because it works out cheaper for us to have 3 smart phones than 2. My kids know better than to ask for the extra smart phone.

Quite a few in my community disable Internet on the smart phone which I don't understand why get the smart phone in the first place.

little_mage

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 6:42 am
We have prepaid dumb phones. There are times I really want a smart phone, but this is what works for us right now.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 8:23 am
We're in the USA. DH has an Android, but I have a flip phone.

I have no desire for a smart phone, as I work in front of a computer all day (and I know that I'd probably end up relying waaaay too much on having THE ENTIRE INTERNET in my pocket), but a QWERTY keypad would make texting easier. But I don't have free texting, so I really only text very rarely.

Debbig

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 8:51 am
DH and I both have smart phones. With page plus we pay $55 per phone a month for unlimited talk and text and 2.5 gig of data.

Raisin

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 8:57 am
Squishy wrote:
I think it varies by community. I have a smart phone and a dumb phone. I let my kids use the dumb phone when I need to be able to be in touch with them. DH has 2 smart phones because it works out cheaper for us to have 3 smart phones than 2. My kids know better than to ask for the extra smart phone.

Quite a few in my community disable Internet on the smart phone which I don't understand why get the smart phone in the first place.

skype, facetime, camera, video, many apps. I assume you mean disabling the internet browser, since many apps need an internet connection to work.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 9:30 am
Ringplus has very cheap plans, including free (very limited) plans which are available once a month. Check out their website. Ringplus.net. The only catch is when calling someone, instead of the phone ringing, ads/ Ringplus radio plays. The plans include limited data, but even if you go over, rates are extremely cheap. You bring your own Sprint device, smart or dumb.
Another great option is Republic Wireless. Although the phones are pricey, the Moto X or Moto G, and must be purchased through them, plans start as low as $10 a month (actually, $5, but I think it's worthless- will only work if there's a WiFi connection). $10 a month gives you unlimited calls and text, on the Sprint network. $25 gives us unlimited talk, text, and 3G data. You can check out the website. PM me for more info. BTW, if you decide to sign up, pm me and I'll send you a referral link so that we both get a one time discount.

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Fri, Aug 01 2014, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 9:33 am
Squishy wrote:

Because it has become difficult to get a decent dumb phone. When was the last time you tried acquiring one?

Raisin

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 10:03 am
if you buy your own smartphone (very easy to buy second hand on amazon or ebay since people upgrade so often) you can then get the cheapest talk plan. Data plans are more expensive but you only need that if you need internet wherever you are. If you have wifi in your house, workplace, and even some public transport has wifi, you may be fine managing without. I have a data plan and enjoy the convenience but I used to do the above and it was fine.

Do they have pay as you go plans where you are? We just had some overseas visitors and they bought a simcard with pay as you go calls. If you spent a certain amount (@ $30) you got free internet for a month.

Raisin

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 10:06 am
amother wrote:
Because it has become difficult to get a decent dumb phone. When was the last time you tried acquiring one?

true, its horrible trying to text on a dumb phone.

rachel91

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 10:17 am
Smartphone (android) here, but only for about a year, and I don't know how I ever lived without one already.
This is crazy!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics