Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Sewing machine....server - 1 or both?

sushi galore

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 9:41 am
I'm looking to buy a sewing machine/serger...
I know how to sew. I used to sew but didn't do so in a couple years....yet it hasn't hindered my ability to sew. We have a wedding coming up towards end of winter and thinking to sew my own Gowns for my girls. I would like to know from any pro-sewers, do I need a sewing machine or a serger can do the same job or am I best off with both. And which machines would you recommend me in a sewing machine or serger? I anyways want to invest in one as alterations are so expensive and sometimes it takes me time to get to the dressmaker to alter as I don't have a good one locally. I'm not looking to spend a lot. Yet cheap quality is a no no.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 10:31 am
What is a serger?

sushi galore

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 10:33 am
An overlock machine.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 10:39 am
aha. Got it. We just call it overlock here.
Well I sew, I sew tons and don't have an overlock and do fine with a brother machine (that's a brand name here like singer)
it's even an old machine, does buttonholes and straight lines and that's about it.
I've had it for years and it's terrific. I also don't sew fabrics that aren't stretch so I don't need overlock

little_mage

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 10:43 am
I would not get just a serger. While sergers are great, there are some things you simply can't do. Particularly if you're doing formal wear, you're not going to be able to do a nice rolled hem on a serger.

rosehill

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 10:55 am
I'm fortunate enough to have both, and I definitely use both. But it would be quite expensive to purchase both at the same time. You also have to have space to store them.
For formalwear, you don't really need a serger, since presumably your dresses will be lined.
So if I were you, I would buy a quality sewing machine-you don't need too many bells and whistles-and if you find yourself sewing alot, you can look into a serger in the future.

sushi galore

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 11:26 am
Thanx! For your responses. What is a good sewing machine to buy in the New York area? Nothing expensive but good! Something worthwhile... which brand / model?

chaiz

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 11:28 am
freidasima wrote:
aha. Got it. We just call it overlock here.
Well I sew, I sew tons and don't have an overlock and do fine with a brother machine (that's a brand name here like singer)
it's even an old machine, does buttonholes and straight lines and that's about it.
I've had it for years and it's terrific. I also don't sew fabrics that aren't stretch so I don't need overlock

Did you bring it from the States? Or you bought it here? What is the price range for what you have?

chanachanachana

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 11:44 am
Both are nice to have, but not for what you need right now. I have 3 different machines, In your situation, I would buy a brand new brother sewing machine. You can go online and check out amazon or walmart.
You can get a great machine for about $300-$400.

rosehill

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 1:10 pm
You can go to patternreview.com and see what the reviews there tell you. Probably more information than you ever wanted to know!

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 1:20 pm
I love having my serger for quick repairs like seams on pillowcases & turning the boys pants into shorts. It is a singer 4-thread. I also use it now for most of the internal seams on clothing, and to make scarves & snoods.

If you are just getting back into sewing, I would suggest to get a standard machine w. what ever features you think you want & work with that for a while.

See if you are really sewing enough to make it worthwhile to have the serger.

I have the space to have both machines out on sewing tables (for the serger, I just got a simple Ikea desk for it). They are up & threaded all the time.

If I did not have the space to do that, I would not use them much at all.

theta1870

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 4:59 pm
I have a Bernina sewing machine. They are expensive but they last forever and can sew through anything.

sushi galore

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 5:46 pm
theta1870 wrote:
I have a Bernina sewing machine. They are expensive but they last forever and can sew through anything.

Did you buy it in the USA? How much about?

sushi galore

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 5:48 pm
Space is not an issue...I just don't want to spend on a machine I will occasionally use for a full outfit...it's mainly for alterations.

tzniutfashion

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 9:59 am
A serger is great for a professional clean finish on seams and rolled hems as well as many types of decorative and heirloom sewing. A sewing machine is great if you want a different type of finish for your collars. But there is a lot of learning curve in threading a serger and once you get over that hump, you will love your serger.

But for starters you can make a complete wedding gown without a serger.

I have been using my Brother for years and I recommend them for serger and sewing machine. Laura Ashley CX155LA is under $250 and has rave reviews on Amazon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars