Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Boston Chicago Detroit S.Louis Cleveland modern yeshivish
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 1:02 pm
Cleveland fits what you're looking for.

If you want to buy a house, Cleveland Heights offers $10,000 loans for a down payment, with 0% interest. More info here: http://jewishclevelandheights.com/

Typical houses in Cleveland Heights run about $100,000-$130,000. Cheaper if you move onto one of the less Jewish blocks. But the houses are older and the area in general is not as nice as University Heights. University Heights houses are a bit more than Cleveland Heights, but still well under your limit.

Shoshana Socher is one of the main frum realtors here, and she often puts postings on Local Jewish News with pictures of houses for sale in the frum area. People who aren't using a realtor often post info about their house on https://www.facebook.com/group.....wish/

nylon

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 1:11 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Did I translate wrongly? I found 1000 sq f is about 93 m2. You can easily put 4 bedrooms in it.
So I don't even know what to do now, do you think it's impossible everywhere in a nicely sized community? Because I doubt we can afford a 120 square meters or something.

You need to not think in French terms. You almost never see 4 bedrooms in 90m2 here. Even smaller, older houses--that would be exceptional. It's not about what it costs, it's about what is built. North American frame of reference is different. 1000 sf in North America is at most 3BR and would be considered a small 3BR. And square footage goes up automatically if it is a house and not an apartment. Our rooms are generally bigger, and we have more variation in number of rooms. Unless you are right in the heart of downtown you will get more floor space than you are used to.

THink in terms of how many bedrooms and bathrooms and you can say, for example, "an average 3 bedroom" (as opposed to a large one).

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 1:20 pm
I definitely don't mind more space lol. Just hoping I can afford, and won't get lost in my own house LOL

sequoia

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 1:28 pm
Yeah, here people like having many bathrooms for instance. A typical house will have 2.5. I noticed Europeans don't care about that and don't mind sharing bathrooms with others.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 1:31 pm
My dream is a second Heart toilet Heart. lol. Apart from that I definitely don't mind sharing. Would rather another bedroom than another bathroom (not toilet though lol with the potty training).

losingweight

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 1:35 pm
I hear Baltimore has large apartments/houses for very reasonable rent.

sequoia

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 1:36 pm
Ruchel wrote:
My dream is a second Heart toilet Heart. lol. Apart from that I definitely don't mind sharing. Would rather another bedroom than another bathroom (not toilet though lol with the potty training).

Right. So here typically a house will have two full bathrooms (toilet, sink, and bathtub) and one half bathroom (toilet and sink, and maybe shower if it fits). As you can imagine that takes up space.

This is assuming you're buying a proper single-family detached house. In Brooklyn people usually buy two-family houses and rent out one floor. Then you're just living in an apartment essentially, but you own the house.

busydev

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 1:44 pm
in the weekly email I just got in chicago it had an ad for a 3bedroom 2 bathroom house with a full basement for rent in the eruv for $1500/month plus utilities.

I know ppl that pay ~1200-1300 for a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom apt. (often including a separate living room and dining room and kitchen sometimes with room for an eating table.)

houses cost more then 300,000 in general tho. tho some smaller ones and condos can be found that cheap.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 1:45 pm
Yes houses especially with floors are different... you don't really want to go up/down the stairs for the toilet, although definitely it exists (here). My parents' house has toilet on ground floor, toilet and bathroom on first floor, a big bathroom with toilet inside on second floor. But it's considered basically a "villa" (lol) and absolutely not what we can afford in-town.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 2:43 pm
busydev wrote:
in the weekly email I just got in chicago it had an ad for a 3bedroom 2 bathroom house with a full basement for rent in the eruv for $1500/month plus utilities.

I know ppl that pay ~1200-1300 for a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom apt. (often including a separate living room and dining room and kitchen sometimes with room for an eating table.)

houses cost more then 300,000 in general tho. tho some smaller ones and condos can be found that cheap.

That is basically correct, though small, older houses can be cheaper. We recently bought a small, old house (around 1100 sq. ft) on a huge (strangely shaped) lot for $213,000. You usually can't even buy a lot for that price. We are tearing down the house and building anew.

busydev

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 2:47 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
That is basically correct, though small, older houses can be cheaper. We recently bought a small, old house (around 1100 sq. ft) on a huge (strangely shaped) lot for $213,000. You usually can't even buy a lot for that price. We are tearing down the house and building anew.

wow nice! it should be with hatzlocha!
I thought you were moving to a much smaller house then your old one (tread about packing up)... or was that temporary while you wait for this house?

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 2:49 pm
busydev wrote:
wow nice! it should be with hatzlocha!
I thought you were moving to a much smaller house then your old one (tread about packing up)... or was that temporary while you wait for this house?

We moved to a much smaller temporary one (hopefully not more than a year) while we build the new one (which is much closer to most of my kids). And the new one while not small, will be much smaller than my old one -- you may know who I am, I've been pretty open (and, BTW, I do know who you are too) -- which was one of the largest in the area.

The new one will be a ranch which I want very much but with a large finished basement that can accommodate lots of guests iy"H.

busydev

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 2:57 pm
I know who you are too. Smile (im also pretty open)
my 2yoDS is friends with a couple of your grandchildren Very Happy

sounds great!!

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Aug 01 2014, 2:57 pm
busydev wrote:
I know who you are too. Smile (im also pretty open)
my 2yoDS is friends with a couple of your grandchildren Very Happy

sounds great!!

I figured you probably knew.

papermageling

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 6:46 pm
You can easily find a place within the eruv for that kind of money in Cleveland with the right number of bedrooms (it will be larger than what you're used to). If you're willing to have a longer walk but still live within the eruv it can be *very* cheap. But for Cleveland in particular it's important to look for jobs before moving, and particularly to network with Clevelanders. A lot of jobs are only really findable via networking rather than more official channels.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:39 pm
Thanks a ton!!

My dh tells me to ask, how is Ohr Hatorah (sp?) in Cleveland? hashkafa wise, co ed until what age, graduates both girls and boys? thank you. I realize I ask a lot.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:55 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Thanks a ton!!

My dh tells me to ask, how is Ohr Hatorah (sp?) in Cleveland? hashkafa wise, co ed until what age, graduates both girls and boys? thank you. I realize I ask a lot.

My information is NOT first hand and others may be able to provide more info, but I believe this is accurate. First of all, I think the school you are referring to is Mosdos Ohr HaTorah which is commonly called "Mosdos". It is considered the most "right-wing" school in Cleveland. They have both boys and girls divisions (totally separate) through 8th grade. There are both girls and boys HS options in Cleveland but the schools are not affiliated with Mosdos.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:01 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
My information is NOT first hand and others may be able to provide more info, but I believe this is accurate. First of all, I think the school you are referring to is Mosdos Ohr HaTorah which is commonly called "Mosdos". It is considered the most "right-wing" school in Cleveland. They have both boys and girls divisions (totally separate) through 8th grade. There are both girls and boys HS options in Cleveland but the schools are not affiliated with Mosdos.

Mosdos actually has a girls' high school too.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:04 pm
Odelyah wrote:
Mosdos actually has a girls' high school too.

Now that you mention it, I did know that, but I'm glad you could point that out.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:06 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Now that you mention it, I did know that, but I'm glad you could point that out.

Smile
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating