Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Snacks for Shabbos afternoon

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 7:28 pm
I have recently been working on healthy eating, and have actually been able to shrink my stomach enough that I am full after a healthy, full meal for about two hours. I can't get past that. I sit and eat a good mini-meal snack and am good until the next meal.

I'm good on healthy snacks during the week when I'm milchigs and not running after all the kids. But on Shabbos I'm fleishigs and not looking to extend that. I also need grab-and-go hand snacks that I can eat quickly.

Complications-
-I'm looking for largely non-starch based snacks. I already eat enough wheat thins and rice cakes, and am pre-prediabetic.
-My sensitive stomach doesn't like raw veggies or fruit without a decent-sized starch equivalent, and even then it could still be bad. This includes seeds and soy nuts.
-I'm allergic to peanuts and tree nuts.

Any ideas? I'm happy to prepare something before Shabbos if it's not too labor-intensive.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 7:50 pm
Roasted chick peas

Baked apple or poached pears

elsily

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 7:55 pm
Not sure if this works with your allergies, but chia seed pudding is really good and filling. Mix together chia seeds, milk substitute (coconut milk is good but if you're allergic, maybe rice milk?), and a splash of vanilla. It has to be in the fridge for a few hours or overnight before you eat it, and I think it keeps for a few days.

Sample recipe: www.peanutbutterandpeppers.com.....ding/

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 7:56 pm
air popped popcorn or homemade granola bars

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 8:26 pm
Op here. Thanks for the ideas. I used to do the chick peas but forgot about them. How do you do them so they're crunchy but not greasy? What's your recipe?

Any other non-starch ideas that don't require a fork or spoon? I'm looking for something I can grab on the way to watching the kids in the back yard and eat with a kid in my lap or while playing a game. I love baked apples, but they can be messy with the kids around.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 8:41 pm
For chickpeas I like to dry roast them on 400 until they're crunchy but not burned. Then toss with a small amount of olive oil and spices (I like salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cumin and parsley) and roast for a few more minutes.

Can you eat baby carrots? If so, steam them until soft and then toss with fresh dill and lemon juice. Delicious and refreshing.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 10:11 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
For chickpeas I like to dry roast them on 400 until they're crunchy but not burned. Then toss with a small amount of olive oil and spices (I like salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cumin and parsley) and roast for a few more minutes.

Can you eat baby carrots? If so, steam them until soft and then toss with fresh dill and lemon juice. Delicious and refreshing.

do you do this with raw chickpeas. I'd love to try this but its the first I've ever heard about it.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 10:45 pm
sky wrote:
do you do this with raw chickpeas. I'd love to try this but its the first I've ever heard about it.

No, canned, rinsed, and patted dry Smile it's so good! Like bissli.

Volunteer

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 11:24 pm
Have you considered eating smaller portions of "meal" foods as snacks? That's what I do, since I find that meal foods are more filling than most "snack" foods. Can you think of any breakfast, lunch, or dinner foods that might make good snacks too? Maybe a small portion of vegetables, hard-cooked eggs, a little sliced turkey, tuna, yogurt+fruit, soup in a thermos, etc.?

Also, while I personally don't find fruit & yogurt smoothies filling, many people love them, and find them quite satisfying, as they can be prepared quickly in advance, and consumed on the go.

gmgv

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 4:14 pm
When I wasn't such a coffee addict and I wasn't paranoid about not being able to have dairy, I'd have leftovers chicken cutlets from that shabbas meal. You can wrap it in a napkin and grab it on the go. This fills you up a lot more than fruits or veggies

sky

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 7:17 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
No, canned, rinsed, and patted dry Smile it's so good! Like bissli.

Yum! this sounds so good and easy I will try it. Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise