Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Pre-fast food ideas - NO fruits or veggies, limited dairy

anonymrs

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 8:07 pm
DH does not eat any fruits or vegetables (including quinoa) and he can only have a small amount of dairy and I have no ideas what to make for him that is filling. Any ideas are welcome. Please.

little_mage

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 8:14 pm
Based on tradition, I'm going to do some sort of lentil dish. Eggs are also pretty classic. What about scrambled eggs and toast?

sky

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 8:15 pm
Starch: brown rice.
Protein: Some sort of fish that he likes

whole wheat or multigrain bread with peanut butter

bigsis144

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 8:19 pm
DH likes to have whole grains and protein before a fast, so whole-wheat French toast, eggs in a frame/Rocky Mountain toast/frog-in-a-hole/whatever you call this:

or (less fancy) scrambled egg sandwiches fit the bill.

Would your DH eat mushroom barley soup? I don't consider that too veggie-ful, but with picky people, who knows what'll set 'em off.

Even a bowl of oatmeal will stick to your ribs.

(If you can't tell, I'm not a fancy-food-before-the-fast kinda person, so if you were expecting suggestions like quiche or blintzes, sorry! Smile )

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 8:25 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
DH likes to have whole grains and protein before a fast, so whole-wheat French toast, eggs in a frame/Rocky Mountain toast/frog-in-a-hole/whatever you call this:

or (less fancy) scrambled egg sandwiches fit the bill.

Would your DH eat mushroom barley soup? I don't consider that too veggie-ful, but with picky people, who knows what'll set 'em off.

Even a bowl of oatmeal will stick to your ribs.

(If you can't tell, I'm not a fancy-food-before-the-fast kinda person, so if you were expecting suggestions like quiche or blintzes, sorry! Smile )

Stick to your ribs ? I've never heard this expression before... What does it mean?

sky

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 8:30 pm
stick to your [my] ribs (Idiom)
"Fig. [for food] to last long and fortify one well; [for food] to sustain one even in the coldest weather. This oatmeal ought to stick to your ribs. You need something hearty on a cold day like this. I don't want just a salad! I want something that will stick to my ribs."

I say that about my brown rice - that it sticks to my ribs.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 8:48 pm
Baked salmon with short grain brown rice. You can add a spaghetti fried egg dish. Nice and filling. Warm crusty bread and smart beat for spreading.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 9:33 pm
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to say, no whole grains. And no mushrooms either. DH is not picky, it's for medical reasons.

little mage, What kind of lentil dish will you be making? Not sure if DH can eat lentils anyway, but it does sound like a good idea. I'll ask him.

Based on your ideas, this is what I'm thinking:
Bread
Eggs
Salmon. Any salmon recipes with no soy sauce?
Rice

Sorry to be such a pain with so many restrictions:( Wish I didn't have to...

Thanks again!

SS6099

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 9:51 pm
Why don't you do oven baked salmon with mayo and cornflake crumbs?
Potato soup?
Blintz pie? You could make potato blintz pie and that's super filling with eggs and potatoes...

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 9:52 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to say, no whole grains. And no mushrooms either. DH is not picky, it's for medical reasons.

little mage, What kind of lentil dish will you be making? Not sure if DH can eat lentils anyway, but it does sound like a good idea. I'll ask him.

Based on your ideas, this is what I'm thinking:
Bread
Eggs
Salmon. Any salmon recipes with no soy sauce?
Rice

Sorry to be such a pain with so many restrictions:( Wish I didn't have to...

Thanks again!

Lemon garlic salmon
1 1/4 lbs salmon fillet
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 top kosher salt (or 1 reg tsp salt)
1/2 top coarse black pepper

Soak salmon in lemon for 15 min. Discard lemon juice and pat salmon dry.
Arrange salmon in 7x10 deep pan.
Combine oil, garlic, salt and pepper in small bowl. Spread over salmon evenly.
Bake uncovered in oven preheated to 400 for 18-20 min.
(can cut down on some salt before the fast if you prefer)

little_mage

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 9:30 am
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I have red and white lentils, so those are the ones I'll be using. I'm planning to carmelize some onions to put on top, but other then that I don't know. I will probably use some Indian spices, since these are lentils that are more common there then in European cuisine. I also generally try to keep pretty simple before the fast-it's really not supposed to be a happy, elaborate meal.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 9:36 am
What does your DH eat on a regular basis? If we had a list of ingredients narrowed down, we could probably come up with something good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals