Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Camp trip to Prospect Park Zoo

amother

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 6:11 pm
My boys' day camp is taking the entire upper division (1-7) to Prospect Park Zoo. My son doesn't want to go. They charge $1200. Can't they take them on a more appropriate trip? What's your opinion?

Pineapple

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 6:14 pm
AFAIK $1200 is cheap

yo'ma

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 6:20 pm
I can't comment on the price of camp, but I love that zoo. I think it's perfect trip for a day camp. I don't know how old your ds is, but I think it's perfect up to, including 4th grade.

Barbara

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 6:21 pm
amother wrote:
My boys' day camp is taking the entire upper division (1-7) to Prospect Park Zoo. My son doesn't want to go. They charge $1200. Can't they take them on a more appropriate trip? What's your opinion?

I can't think of a more appropriate trip than going to the zoo. What's wrong with it?

Also, as another poster noted, $1,200 for day camp is quite inexpensive, assuming that you're talking about at least 4 weeks.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 6:23 pm
Do you mean 1st thru seventh grades? If so I agree that they should do separate trips for younger and older divisions.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 6:37 pm
Pineapple wrote:
AFAIK $1200 is cheap

Pineapple!!! I haven't seen you around here in a while! Glad to see you!!

sequoia

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 6:50 pm
Why doesn't he want to go?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 7:11 pm
I pay $950 (extra for lunch or transportaion) for 7 weeks of camp. My ds is in thr younger division. He goes on 1 major trip per half which is a water/amusement park plus they took them bowling.

the older division costs a bit more, and they go on all trips with the younger division plus more trips (its like once a week)

I don't live in brooklyn.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 7:17 pm
I think its a silly place to go for a trip- especially for the amount you pay and for the older kids. I pay less and they go on amazing trips every week.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 7:50 pm
I don't get it. What is inappropriate about the zoo as a day trip? It's a nice zoo, it has what to see without being big enough to get lost in. To me that makes it just about perfect for a trip of a few hours. I could see 5-7th graders thinking of it as nebby but really what they need is an attitude adjustment because even as an adult I find plenty to see and learn in any zoo I go to. If it were my kid, I might offer the option of staying home if he doesn't want to go but I would not offer any special entertainment at home - help mom and read books.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 8:02 pm
I also think that while a zoo is a nice trip for younger kids, they could have come up with a better zoo. The prospect park zoo is the kind of place many kids have been to with their families already (assuming this is a Brooklyn camp) and it doesn't offer a ton compared to other zoos.

Unless they're making an entire park trip put of it as well, with sports in the fields? That would round it out a little.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 8:05 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I also think that while a zoo is a nice trip for younger kids, they could have come up with a better zoo. The prospect park zoo is the kind of place many kids have been to with their families already (assuming this is a Brooklyn camp) and it doesn't offer a ton compared to other zoos.

Unless they're making an entire park trip put of it as well, with sports in the fields? That would round it out a little.

Good point. If it's a Brooklyn camp they have probably all seen the PP Zoo. Maybe Bronx, but that's considerably more expensive and also HUGE. Central Park is nice but not SO different than PP. Hmm. Games in the park, sure. There's also some historical site right next to it.

bnm

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 9:39 pm
prospect park zoo is for the little ones. up to 6 year olds maybe. the only interesting thing left there after the petting zoo is the monkeys.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children