Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
How important is timing with cake ingredients

Petra

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 3:56 pm
I tried to make a home made cake last night for the first time ever. I realized after I whipped the butter with sugar that I forgot to add the eggs to the mixture as the recipe instructed. The recipe then called for addition of cake flour (dry ingredients) intermittently with addition of buttermilk to the whipped butter/sugar mixture. After adding most of the flour and all of the buttermilk, I realized I never added the eggs. So then I added the eggs.

Well, is this going to taint the cake? Seemed like the cake rose and it smells good. I can't try it until tonight though so the suspense is getting to me.

goodmorning

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 4:26 pm
The short answer is that your cake is probably fine (better than fine, delicious!).

The long answer is that the goal, when making a cake batter, is to create a stable emulsion of the liquids and fats. An emulsion is a mixture of two things that are usually unmixable -- here, fat (oil) and water. An emulsion is most easily created with an emulsifier; luckily, egg yolks contain a natural emulsifier called lecithin. When the eggs are added one at a time, they are able to be mixed in thoroughly with the butter, and the lecithin helps to emulsify the water in the butter and egg whites with the fat in the butter and egg yolks, resulting in a fluffy cake.

(Mayonnaise is an emulsion, but it also acts as emulsifier, so if you have a vinaigrette that is separating, in can help to whisk in a small spoonful of mayonnaise.)

Petra

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 4:42 pm
Thanks for that awesome explanation. Always nice to know the "why".

Petra

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 4:44 pm
PS. The cake did not require water by the way. Only liquid other than eggs/yolks that the recipe called for was the buttermilk which I assume is fatty but maybe still needed the emulsifier to blend in with the 2 sticks of butter.

Heyaaa

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 5:07 pm
Petra wrote:
PS. The cake did not require water by the way. Only liquid other than eggs/yolks that the recipe called for was the buttermilk which I assume is fatty but maybe still needed the emulsifier to blend in with the 2 sticks of butter.

Buttermilk is soured milk. It's the liquid left over when heavy cream is churned into butter.

The water pp was referring to was the water in the butter:)

Petra

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 9:54 pm
Oh. I see. Re-read it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins