Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Preemie milestones

amother

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 9:59 pm
if my dd is 3 months old but was born a month early, is she supposed to meet her actual age requirements (3 months) or her requirements of when she wouldve been born had she been full term (2 months)?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 10:01 pm
Her corrected age, which is two months. You calculate this way until she's two years old.

shiffycc

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 12:22 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Her corrected age, which is two months. You calculate this way until she's two years old.

Right. Mine is 18 months but was born 9 weeks early, and she is caught up with everything except speech. Her speech is approximately 10 weeks behind her chronological age, but because she is a preemie they are still giving her until 2 to catch up.

As an aside, my friends(who had preemies) and I would always talk about how confusing the chronological/ adjusted age thing was. Even though it seems like it shouldn't be particularly complicated, we found it difficult to conceptualize. So if you feel that way, just know that you are not alone.

wife613

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 6:36 am
Having a preemie and trying to figure out what they're supposed to do when is very confusing. Dd is 5 1/2 months old but she was 11 weeks early (so only really 3 months old). She gets very frustrated because she wants to do things that 5 month olds want to but can't because she is so small... And there r some things that 3 months should do that she doesn't. But as said above they say to give them until they're 2 to catch up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics