Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How much clothing to buy?

runninglate

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 9:00 pm
Can anyone advise me as to how much clothing a child needs for a preschool aged child? ( no uniform yet) If anyone could specify how much of each item you buy, it would be appreciated. skirts, tops, socks, pajamas etc. I overbought last season, and I'm just curious what other people do. Thanks.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 9:10 pm
it really depends on how often you do laundry. I do laundry once a week (and it can take a day or two till its folded and put away) so every kid of mine has at least 8 sets of weekday clothing, 2 shabbos outfits, and a bit extra of underwear and socks.
a friend of mine does laundry every day, so she needs much less.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 9:12 pm
runninglate wrote:
Can anyone advise me as to how much clothing a child needs for a preschool aged child? ( no uniform yet) If anyone could specify how much of each item you buy, it would be appreciated. skirts, tops, socks, pajamas etc. I overbought last season, and I'm just curious what other people do. Thanks.
I buy 6-8 outfits for school (that work for the whole school year/I don't buy separate fall clothes). And an additional 2 outfits that I reserve for off days that don't get used on school days. (I don't double up on skirts/shell, I count full outfits.) They don't need to be expensive or elaborate. I just find that the kids are hard on their clothes and if I buy less than that toward the end of the season I have nothing presentable to clothe them in (especially if I don't reserve 2 outfits for out of school, I'm left with no options for everyday parties and occasions).
Socks/tights = the amount of outfits you have.
Underwear = 12 pairs
Pajamas = 6
How much did you buy last year?

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 9:25 pm
I have found something like 6 tops (each season - I.e. short sleeve/long sleeve, you could do with less short sleeve because it's no tragedy to wear lightweight long sleeves in the summer), 2 skirts, a jumper and a dress were just about enough. Underwear the more the merrier, especially if you occasionally have accidents. I think we have at least or about a dozen panties. Can't have too many socks either because they are never there right when you need them. I guess about 10 sets of socks/tights combined. If you want to be super frugal or space conscious or whatever you could probably do with less socks and underwear, I just like the security of always having enough. Pajamas at least 2 sets of light cotton ones and 1 warmer fleece kind. Two sweatshirts so you still have something to put on when it's chilly and one gets dirty.

zigi

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 10:41 pm
I have slightly more than a weeks worth for each kid. I like to see my kids in different clothes. with my boys they are hard on their pants so I have a lot of pairs for them.

JollyMommy

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 11:55 am
Right now my pre-uniform little one has:

10 skirts
4 casual dresses
8 shirts
6 sets of pajamas
3 bathing suits
6 shabbos dresses/outfits

lots of leggings, diaper covers, little shorts for under skirts, maybe 10 all together.
6 pairs of shoes- 2 week day, sandals, 2 shabbos, boots.

About 10 pairs of cute socks
Tons of hairbows and clips

She needs enough clothes for a full week plus a set or 2 to keep at school. She needs Shabbos clothes for Friday night (goes to shul) and Shabbos day.

Hoping to potty train soon, but not my forte judging from my other kids. When that happens I'll buy a few packs of underwear, around 10 pairs. About 5 pairs of pants too, but I'm weaning her off of pants since she's 2.5.

I think she has the right amount of clothes, probably could do a few less skirts. You can do very well at old navy right now, but I buy from all over the place- gap, marshall's, zulily, janie and jack are favorites.

Her size (3T) will probably stay the same for the school year.

I find boys need a bit less, but go through pants like they are free. I am constantly throwing out destroyed shabbos pants, it's ridiculous.

self-actualization

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 12:07 pm
My pre-uniform girls have:

4 or 5 skirts
2 casual dresses
5 or 6 shirts
3 or 4 sets of pajamas
2 bathing suits
4 shabbos dresses/outfits

And 1 pair Shabbos shoes, 1 pair weekday shoes, 1 pair crocs, 1 pair boots

We are low on socks because they largely get lost in the wash (don't know why).

Plenty of hairbows and clips

Note: We can get away with this because we do laundry twice a week.

Echoing the previous poster, I really like Old Navy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children