Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How do I make a long trip with small kids manageable-ish?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:05 am
Any ideas welcome Very Happy

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:06 am
I forgot to mention that it's a 12 hr plane ride shock

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:48 am
You may have already thought of this but what really works for me is a small DVD player and some new/not often wached DVDs. Since its on a plane - you can give it to two kids and have them each put one side of the headphones in their ears. Its not a solution for the whole trip, but can probably give you a 45 mint break here and there. It even keeps my one yr old busy if I put on uncle moshy.

chocolatey

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:55 am
I dont show my kids any videos for various reasons (not just religious) but they only watch uncle moishy on the plane. also, crayons, stickers, dollar store chachkees, snacks, lollies, magnetic puzzles. go to your local dollar store, im sure you'll find plenty of things to keep them busy for a few minutes at a time. and uncle moishy is my airplane hero. Smile

chocolatey

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:56 am
if you do show a video, get over-the-ear headphones. the in-ear headphones never stay in for my 1 & 3 year olds.

Etonnemoi

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 12:05 pm
Aside from the regular menu of Jewish story CDs, you can try the old-time radio shows (you can download online or get tapes (!!!) from your library) for older kids - most of them are noir radio with over-the-top murders, etc, so tailor accordingly - think Richard Diamond, Sam Spade, the Hornet, etc etc - but it's grand fun, especially the adverts!!! DH and I love them (though it will be some years before my kids are old enough to appreciate them.)

You can also download and print sheets with different street signs on them, and have kids circle the signs they see a la Bingo.

New coloring books with new crayons (99 cents at Amazing Savings, if you live near one). You can invest in lap desks to make it easier and more exciting to color.

new books from flea market, store, library, etc.

a small lump of silly putty or clay- nothing big enough to smush.

A friend of mine travels to LA multiple times a year with kids - she makes a huge deal out of packing each kid a backpack of activities (kids are involved in what they put in) and each kid takes pride and enjoyment out of slowly unpacking each activity from the pack (for younger kids I'd keep the packs and hand out ziploc bags of each activity at intervals, passing around garbage bags between each one.) it's a lot of work to prepare but she says the dividends are well worth it!!!!!

You can also buy cheap disposable cameras or digital cameras (I think there are $20 at Walmart) and allow kids to take pics of each other and things you pass (depending on age , of course) at intervals.

Family singing - each child and adult gets to choose a song (start with something with "rounds", like "hillel omer", "row-row-row your boat", the old 1970's Coke advertisements, etc). or try to sing one song per yom tov.

The old favorites - GHOST, Geography, etc.

Etonnemoi

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 12:06 pm
Oops - sorry - thought it was car ride. Of course most of my suggestions would NOT work on a plane... :-)

shira143

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 12:49 pm
Hello op,
Is your plane ride overnight? That would occupy a good portion of the plane ride.

Everyone had great suggestions. I don't think I saw legos, or some type of connector toy.

mdoif

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 3:40 pm
Valium (for yourself, obviously...)

rachel91

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 3:48 pm
Op, if you still have any chance to fly at night, do this! We were on an 11 hour flight by day on the way there and at night on the way back, well you can' t even compare, the flight at night was 100 times easier.
The flight there was hard. Full stop. No matter how many sticker or coloring book's, snacks etc. we brought along, still...kids want to be active, they will want to go for a walk, you'll have to stand up 1000 times going to the bathroom with them etc.etc.( even though the bathroom trips are the most exciting, since you get to move around and time passes quicker LOL )
At the end of the flight I just felt that it would never stop, 12 hours are a long time on a plane.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:49 pm
op here. than for all the suggestions! flight there is day, way back is night. I have to find the time to go buy activities. where in j-lem is a good place to get these things?

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 12:27 am
Magnetic board games are useful because there is less chance of pieces falling in between the airplane seats, n the floor, etc. They sell them at Steimatsky.

baskrox

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 8:49 am
Melissa and Doug has many travel activities/games - mini coloring books, magic velvet, water wow, color by number, color blast, sticker books/activities. Don't know where to buy it in jerusalem. Our local grocery store sells them for $5, on amazon they're more like $7.

Puzzle books are fun - word search, highlights has a puzzle fun magazine that's fun too

dry-erase boards with dry erase crayons or markers

Debbig

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
op here. than for all the suggestions! flight there is day, way back is night. I have to find the time to go buy activities. where in j-lem is a good place to get these things?

Target, walmart and if you have an amazing savings near you they have a lot of things that might help you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics