Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Frustrated with baby's nursing

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 4:00 am
My baby is 7 months old. He's been a fussy nurser all along. Very distracted, would only nurse in the dark if all is quiet. We’ve had our tough times together, going out was always an issue as public restrooms were not quiet enough. I've had times when he would start sucking and then let go to have the milk splashed all over his face… but he'd always come back and give me three days of heavy good nursing.
To take care of his hunger on the street when he wouldn’t nurse I’ve started giving him finger foods about six weeks ago. He’d eat things like bamba, banana, baby jars or soup. Recently I’ve also started giving him cereal once a day. He loves table food so much that now I think he wants to give up his nursing!
My baby is refusing to nurse. He would pinch me, scratch me, laugh at me and push me away! He would not even give me one suck! He’s never taken formula or pumped breast-milk in a bottle and still refuses to do so. All he would take is real food. He’ll cry from hunger and refuse to nurse.
this has been going on for a week now, he'll only nurse at night during the day every feeding is a fight which he inevitable wins. He is hungry all day and cries all day but would not nurse nor take a bottle.
This is my oldest. Please advise, where do I go from here?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 4:55 am
It sounds to me like he could be teething. Can you feel his gums and see if anything's coming through? Is he drooling more often? How old were your other kids when they started teething?

When DD started teething she refused to nurse because every time she latched on it hurt her little gums too much. She would be absolutely starving, but she'd throw her head back, scream, and beat on my chest with her fists.

My doctor insisted that I get her used to a bottle, and by that time she was too hungry to be picky about it and drank it right down. As a matter of fact, she drank it so fast that she threw half of it up, and I had to fix her another 3 oz to top her off.

DD started soft solids at around 5 1/2 months, and by 7 months she was grabbing everything she could get her hands on.

(She'll 11 years old now, and the pickiest eater I've ever met. How did that happen?)

Your son may be on a short nursing strike and you'll have to work through it together to get reestablished, or he may be self weaning. It depends on how committed you are to extending your breast feeding with him. A lactation consultant visit may be in order if you want to work it out. It didn't work for us, because DD was way too stubborn. Once she knew how to get food "the easy way" she never looked back.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 5:40 am
Thanks for your response.
I hope its teething rather than self-weening. This is my first so I can't compare to other kids but DH and me both got teeth after a year. I don't feel anything at his gums so I am confused about it being teething.
Perhaps it's just another of his nursing strikes, he's been striking on and off since he was four month old. Though this one is by far the worst and longest I've had.

Lady Bug

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 6:18 am
Maybe he has an ear infection?
Go into bed to nurse her. Close all the lights and do it the same way you do it at night. Otherwise, give her more food during the day so she shouldn't be hungry and leave the nursing for at night only.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics