Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Need kitchen design consultation (I chose where to buy)

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 9:09 am
Im in Brooklyn and looking to do a kitchen and need some layout/appliance/decorating advice.

Im not doing a major reconstruction job, but kitchens are done rarely if at all, so Ive been told to get someone experienced to try to avoid mistakes and regrets (that often happen by totally trusting the person youre buying the cabinets from).

Who has a good reputation and not too expensive in Brooklyn, prob hourly?

Thanks.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 9:37 am
I do this but I'm nowhere near Brooklyn. Have hatzlacha!

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 9:42 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I do this but I'm nowhere near Brooklyn. Have hatzlacha!
Thanks! Can you give me a paragraph telling me what people's biggest regrets are when doing a kitchen.... and general advice thats not necessarily common sense, from a person who has experience of doing this every day, that applies to everyone doing a kitchen.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 10:41 am
Obvious mistakes: Such as not allowing room for the refrigerator door to open enough to pull out produce bins. Insufficient contiguous counter space. No place for large pots. Forgetting to make a place for trash or recycling or brooms. And choosing poorly constructed cabinets is a regret I've sometimes seen long term, because almost all cabinets look terrific when new.

Not so obvious mistakes:
Inflexibility unnecessarily limiting design solutions, such as "I must have an island" or "I can't move the existing sink." Similarly, sometimes moving a door or window can immensely improve workflow or traffic flow. Understanding how much is enough and avoiding overcompensation: For example, people who lack sufficient workspace often expand their kitchens greatly to get acres of unneeded counter space, most of which collects dust — and significantly drives up costs.

More: Poor zoning. No focal point. Not paying attention to lighting or colors — you end up something that doesn't quite feel right but you don't know why.

And finally: Understanding the difference between wants and needs.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 3:05 pm
Rubber Ducky:

Wow, lucky Baltimore! You sound like you know your stuff! May I ask if you learned on the job or took a course, and if yes what kind of course? TIA

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 5:12 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Obvious mistakes: Such as not allowing room for the refrigerator door to open enough to pull out produce bins. Insufficient contiguous counter space. No place for large pots. Forgetting to make a place for trash or recycling or brooms. And choosing poorly constructed cabinets is a regret I've sometimes seen long term, because almost all cabinets look terrific when new.

Not so obvious mistakes:
Inflexibility unnecessarily limiting design solutions, such as "I must have an island" or "I can't move the existing sink." Similarly, sometimes moving a door or window can immensely improve workflow or traffic flow. Understanding how much is enough and avoiding overcompensation: For example, people who lack sufficient workspace often expand their kitchens greatly to get acres of unneeded counter space, most of which collects dust — and significantly drives up costs.

More: Poor zoning. No focal point. Not paying attention to lighting or colors — you end up something that doesn't quite feel right but you don't know why.

And finally: Understanding the difference between wants and needs.

Thanks so much. I am building a new house from scratch and find this very helpful.

One question, if you don't mind. Assuming ample room to do what you want, what do you recommend as the relative positioning of food storage areas, ovens, refrigerator and sinks (assuming 1 lg. refrigerator, 2 ovens/stoves and 2 sinks)?

I remember an old rule that the oven, refrigerator & sink should form a triangle, but obviously that doesn't work well for a kosher kitchen with 2 ovens and 2 sinks.

Thanks so much!

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 5:18 pm
If you have the space, there is nothing like having 3 sinks! I have an entire pareve counter, cabinets & sink BH (though I could perhaps have more eating space or other things if I hadn't insisted on this) but I just love it. Think - baking pans & mixer - not having to worry if your milchig sink is clean/empty etc.

As a young Mom I wished so badly for an island or peninsula, so I could bake with my kids without tripping over them. I would have lined them up on stools across from me to watch & pour things in. Alas, they're all grown now, and I am not so into baking with the grandkiddies (or much at all).

Anon bec everyone who knows me knows about my famous 3 sinks.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 5:21 pm
amother wrote:
If you have the space, there is nothing like having 3 sinks! I have an entire pareve counter, cabinets & sink BH (though I could perhaps have more eating space or other things if I hadn't insisted on this) but I just love it. Think - baking pans & mixer - not having to worry if your milchig sink is clean/empty etc.

As a young Mom I wished so badly for an island or peninsula, so I could bake with my kids without tripping over them. I would have lined them up on stools across from me to watch & pour things in. Alas, they're all grown now, and I am not so into baking with the grandkiddies (or much at all).

Anon bec everyone who knows me knows about my famous 3 sinks.

I have a DD and a DIL each with 3 sinks, and I will have room for it if I want, but I'm not going to do it. I didn't have it in the past (in an even larger kitchen) and didn't really miss. I really don't cook pareve and don't bake a lot either. And, I'm at the same point of life as you, so with just me and DH at home, odds are that I've got a clean and empty sink to use for pareve when I do need it. Of course I will have storage for the mixer and pareve stuff though.

SorGold

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 5:38 pm
I know someone excellent. She sells her designs. Rachel from Broadway kitchens. Pm me for more info.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 6:07 pm
In order to do it right and not make mistakes and after spending so much take a professional who will guide you- they work with your budget and needs-it takes allot of energy and strength to get it right stunning and functional. M. Scharf amazing pleasant and reasonable. 718 236-2613

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Aug 09 2014, 10:23 pm
amother wrote:
Rubber Ducky:

Wow, lucky Baltimore! You sound like you know your stuff! May I ask if you learned on the job or took a course, and if yes what kind of course? TIA
Thank you! I learned by doing — I've been a passionate kitchen buff and space planning fanatic hobbyist for many years and turned pro. I only do design — I don't sell anything except ideas and plans. I'm also a graphic artist (and I teach computer graphics at Maalot Baltimore); my familiarity with programs such as Illustrator and Photoshop made learning a 2D and 3D CAD program relatively easy.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Aug 09 2014, 11:44 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Thanks so much. I am building a new house from scratch and find this very helpful.

One question, if you don't mind. Assuming ample room to do what you want, what do you recommend as the relative positioning of food storage areas, ovens, refrigerator and sinks (assuming 1 lg. refrigerator, 2 ovens/stoves and 2 sinks)?

I remember an old rule that the oven, refrigerator & sink should form a triangle, but obviously that doesn't work well for a kosher kitchen with 2 ovens and 2 sinks.

Thanks so much!
The most important parts of the "kitchen work triangle" are the sink and stove. Many more trips are made between those 2 than to the fridge.

It is often possible to make 2 work triangles that meet the recommended NKBA guidelines, but doing so tends to position the fridge in the center of the kitchen where it may present a visual barrier and be inconvenient to eating areas. Better to ensure that the sink-counter-stove cooking zone has enough work space but not so much that you need to hike from sink to stove.

Regarding food storage: Ideally I'd place the food storage/pantry and fridge near each other.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 12:12 am
I am also building from scratch now. I ordered my kitchen a few weeks ago. Somethings I did.
1. I put a third sink in my island
2. I put two dishwashers
3. I made my fleishigs sink bigger as I use fleishigs a lot.
4. I put a full fridge and freezer in built into the wall in my dinette area.
5. I put a built in garbage can
6. Put two five burner stoves in

amother

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 2:59 pm
amother wrote:
In order to do it right and not make mistakes and after spending so much take a professional who will guide you- they work with your budget and needs-it takes allot of energy and strength to get it right stunning and functional. M. Scharf amazing pleasant and reasonable. 718 236-2613

That number comes up on the internet as a place that sells watches. Anyone here can clarify?

Time Imports Inc. 2113 58th Street Brooklyn, NY 11204
Clocks, Watches, and Parts in Brooklyn, New York
(718) 236-2613

amother

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 4:08 pm
Just call the number 718-236-2613 and leave a message if they dont answer. You'll be thrilled and amazed

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 4:24 pm
Why are so many anonymous posters making recommendations? Why would anyone call someone that no one will put their name to? And they're all recommendation the same person? Something looks fishy. If you have a suggestion, you should post it in your screen name.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 5:38 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Why are so many anonymous posters making recommendations? Why would anyone call someone that no one will put their name to? And they're all recommendation the same person? Something looks fishy. If you have a suggestion, you should post it in your screen name.

OP here. makes sense!!!!!

Theres a good chance that Ill be asked why Im amother... and thats bec many know Im shopping around for kitchen design help, but Ive recommended businesses with my screen name many times. It makes it much more legit and believable. I would imagine that many people used this person, so why the anonymity, unless its the person themselves?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 10:16 am
I can recommend Rachel Gross. Her company is called Dynamic. She is absolutely incredible. Being a ballabuster herself she understands the needs of a frum woman. She has an amazing eye. 845 662 5768

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 10:24 am
I can recommend Rachel Gross. Her company is called Dynamic. She is absolutely incredible. Being a ballabuster herself she understands the needs of a frum woman. She has an amazing eye. 845 662 5768
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics