Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn help

solo

Post Sat, Aug 09 2014, 9:36 pm
My baby is 4 days old. He was born rooting. And is always looking to suck. For the first 2 days I gave him a paci between feeds. Every 1.5-2hrs. Now he is only satisfied with nursing. Dozes while he sucks for a long time. And then cries for more an hr later

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Aug 09 2014, 10:12 pm
Has your milk come in yet? How often are you nursing?

solo

Post Sat, Aug 09 2014, 10:14 pm
My milk came in today. Day 4. I was nursing on demand by day. Every 2 hrs by night. But now on demand is every hr. And he's been screaming till hoarse at night

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Aug 09 2014, 10:18 pm
Is his latch good? Do you feel that he is emptying your breast when he feeds?

groovy1224

Post Sat, Aug 09 2014, 10:23 pm
Newborns do not only cry for hunger..have you tried just taking of your shirt and holding him to your chest? Skin to skin contact can be very soothing. He may also not like the specific paci you are using, or he may not like the paci at all! Your baby is still very very very little-not even a week old!!! The reality of nursing is that it is often a 24 hour thing..it can easily seem like as soon ad one feeding is over the baby is crying for more. I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

solo

Post Sat, Aug 09 2014, 10:53 pm
His nursing seems fine. I hold him and cuddle but he cries till he finds something to suck. And then continues to cry when he realizes it's not my nipple

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Aug 09 2014, 11:01 pm
This sounds normal enough for a newborn. If you feel that he is emptying your breasts when he nurses, just go with the flow and let him nurse when he wants. He will probably settle into a pattern soon, but for now realize that he spent the last few days eating teeny tiny amounts at a time, so it's natural that he was often hungry. Now that your milk came in, allow him to nurse on one side until he seems finished. Then offer the other side. Alternate which side you start with at each feeding. And don't forget to burp him!

mazal555

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 11:38 am
It's normal. Let him suck when he wants to. It will pass in a couple of weeks. Look into bed sharing so you can sleep while he nurses.

Mazal tov! And feel good!

5*Mom

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 12:00 pm
Mazal tov!! If your milk came in and you are sure he is emptying at least one side then his crying may not be from hunger but from the discomfort of being overly full. The transition from colostrum only to a full breast is very sudden and initially you will tend to have more than your baby needs so over-fullness is a distinct possibility at this stage. If you think this might be it, try feeding on only one side per feeding, waking him if he dozes, and burping him very well afterwards for longer than you think necessary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics