Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Glass Splashback in Kitchen - Pros and Cons?

etky

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 2:07 pm
A friend of mine is renovating her kitchen and is considering installing a custom fit glass splashback instead of ceramic tiling. Apparently that is the trend now, at least in Israel. Does anyone have this type of splashback and if so, are you happy with it?
What are the pros and cons? (aside from cost - she's aware it's expensive).
TIA

mfb

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 3:31 pm
I know someone that put in mirror backsplash and loves it. (But I have to say she is in general ocd about cleaning)

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 4:05 pm
mfb wrote:
I know someone that put in mirror backsplash and loves it. (But I have to say she is in general ocd about cleaning)

I had a mirror backspash for over 20 years and loved it. I did it because there were no windows in the working area, so the mirrors magnified the light. It did that very well. They were easy to keep clean too.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 4:34 pm
I have glass small subway tiles. No problem cleaning. So far no breakage in 8 years.

mommyla

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 9:19 pm
For the Americans among us: a splashback is a backsplash Smile

Are you talking about glass tiles or a solid sheet of back-painted glass? I really want to get the back-painted glass but it is not in our budget - it's so much easier to keep clean (no grout) and it looks great. I don't know about long-term breakage issues but I've only heard good things. Glass tiles are also great but if I had the money to spend, I'd get the back-painted glass.

ROFL

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 9:47 pm
Can someone post some pics of a back painted glass and of glass tiles ? Thanks

debsey

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 9:52 pm
mommyla wrote:

Are you talking about glass tiles or a solid sheet of back-painted glass? I really want to get the back-painted glass but it is not in our budget - it's so much easier to keep clean (no grout) and it looks great. I don't know about long-term breakage issues but I've only heard good things. Glass tiles are also great but if I had the money to spend, I'd get the back-painted glass.

What is the difference between glass tiles vs. a solid sheet of back painted glass?I'm building now and we'll soon be up to the kitchen. I saw a backsplash I loved - it looked like bricks, but they were silvery and terra-cotta ish (but shiny) Which one would those be?

etky

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 12:59 am
mommyla wrote:

So funny - that explains why all the sites that turned up when I googled splashback were British, Australian or from New Zealand! I was wondering why there were so few American sites that dealt with this facet of kitchen decor...
My friend wants a solid piece of glass- cream colored with a design in several places. It is very expensive here but she's willing to spring for it because she's afraid her kitchen will look dated if she uses ceramic tile. Apparently, all they're showing now is the glass and her carpenter who's installling the kitchen told her that 'everyone is doing glass' now. I've heard that while it is very easy to clean, it demands constant maintenance - especially a smooth solid piece like she wants - because unlike tile, it shows every spatter and water mark. Water marks are a real issue here because the water is so hard. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this.

mo5

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 5:41 am
Glass splash backs / backsplashs are easy to clean and look very nice too! Lots of colours. I have a solid piece and it is such an improvement over the tiles I had. The only con might be cost.

Motherlee

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 6:24 am
Just make sure you are getting it done by a professional because the outlet spacing could be messed up if it wasn't measured properly.

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 6:46 am
etky wrote:
So funny - that explains why all the sites that turned up when I googled splashback were British, Australian or from New Zealand! I was wondering why there were so few American sites that dealt with this facet of kitchen decor...

Not sure what it explains, but European designs are usually a few years ahead of us neanderthals in the states. I love the glass splashbacks and the thin counter tops with the long pull out draws. Italians and Germans have gorgeous kitchen designs which are featured in upscale kitchens here.

Keeping the splashbacks clean is one issue. The other issue I found is that mirrored splashbacks multiply clutter. It doesn't appear to be only 2 times the clutter. I suppose glass also reflects clutter.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 6:51 am
I'm pretty sure I have what you are talking about in my apartment (it is a rental, so we didn't put it in). The whole area is covered with a solid piece of glass. It is not mirrored -- mine is a grayish color matching the rest of the kitchen. I like it a lot. I find it very easy to clean, and I do not see a big problem with water stains at all, and I do not find it requires "constant maintenance". I clean it well on Erev Shabbos and again after Shabbos, and the rest of the week I just wipe it down when it looks dirty. Maybe it is more of a problem if you have a lighter color. Mine is kind of grayish silver.

etky

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 6:58 am
Squishy wrote:
Not sure what it explains, but European designs are usually a few years ahead of us neanderthals in the states. I love the glass splashbacks and the thin counter tops with the long pull out draws. Italians and Germans have gorgeous kitchen designs which are featured in upscale kitchens here.

Keeping the splashbacks clean is one issue. The other issue I found is that mirrored splashbacks multiply clutter. It doesn't appear to be only 2 times the clutter. I suppose glass also reflects clutter.

That is an interesting point that I hadn't thought of. I guess that's why all the pictures with these splashbacks show very minimalist kitchens with empty countertops.

etky

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 7:06 am
m in Israel wrote:
I'm pretty sure I have what you are talking about in my apartment (it is a rental, so we didn't put it in). The whole area is covered with a solid piece of glass. It is not mirrored -- mine is a grayish color matching the rest of the kitchen. I like it a lot. I find it very easy to clean, and I do not see a big problem with water stains at all, and I do not find it requires "constant maintenance". I clean it well on Erev Shabbos and again after Shabbos, and the rest of the week I just wipe it down when it looks dirty. Maybe it is more of a problem if you have a lighter color. Mine is kind of grayish silver.

Yes - that sounds like what she wants to put in except that she is going for cream to match her cupboards. I think it's also a question of how the light hits it. In my own kitchen I find that you see the smudges and marks on various surfaces only in the afternoon when the sun comes in from a certain angle.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 7:07 am
etky wrote:
That is an interesting point that I hadn't thought of. I guess that's why all the pictures with these splashbacks show very minimalist kitchens with empty countertops.

The glass by me is not at all reflective. Maybe it depends on the color? Trust me, my countertops are anything but empty Very Happy !

etky

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 8:18 am
m in Israel wrote:
The glass by me is not at all reflective. Maybe it depends on the color? Trust me, my countertops are anything but empty Very Happy !

My guess would be that lighting is also a factor in this. And maybe there are surfaces that are shinier than others? I will convey all these issues to my friend and she will decide. I think though that she's already sold on the glass. Seems like cost is the only real negative and I think she's reconciled to that.

tweek

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 10:02 am
Can anyone give an approximation of cost?

I know it depends on size, but just maybe a comparison. To put up a subway tiled backsplash in my kitchen would cost about 1500. Anyone knows how much solid glass would be compared to that?

mommyla

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 10:28 am
This is back-painted glass:

This is glass subway tile:

This is glass mosaic tile (comes in loads of different shapes and styles):

Large glass tiles give more of the back-painted glass look.

I don't know about water marks, but I shudder to think of the fingerprints. As much as I love it I think I'd make myself crazy if I had it!

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 3:45 pm
The pics were very helpful, thanks!
Does anyone have glass subway tile and can tell me about it? That ll what I want.
debsey

mommyla

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:29 pm
Subway tile comes in loads of colors and finishes, different sizes, even textures. You're in Lakewood, right? Go to Sharon Stone for your counters and backsplash, they are awesome. (And no, I don't work for them!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars