Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do I use a microwave?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 2:03 pm
Ok I know how to press a button but how do I know how long to set it for?
I am at a hotel and want to doublewrap supper to heat up.
It is a 9" round pan full of cold macaroni and cheese.
Please help!

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 2:12 pm
If the pan is metal (foil), DO NOT put it in the microwave. It could start a fire.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 2:22 pm
^^^ This.

You can cover with plastic wrap, poke some holes, then cover another layer of paper towels.

Or put it in a paper bag and cover with paper towels.

Google what materials can go in a microwave and pick two to cover with.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 2:57 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
^^^ This.

You can cover with plastic wrap, poke some holes, then cover another layer of paper towels.

Or put it in a paper bag and cover with paper towels.

Google what materials can go in a microwave and pick two to cover with.

if you poke holes in the plastic wrap is that considered double covering if the plastic wrap has holes?

mdoif

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 3:24 pm
Halachically double covering is enough, but our lor recommends triple wrapping, for in practice there is often leakage with just two wraps.

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 8:39 pm
amother wrote:
if you poke holes in the plastic wrap is that considered double covering if the plastic wrap has holes?

I was also wondering this. Scratching Head

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:06 pm
The Happy Wife wrote:
I was also wondering this. Scratching Head
No, if you poke holes it is not considered covered.

If you want to kasher the hotel microwave, it quite simple. Take a glass cup and fill with water. Place in microwave for 10 minutes u til bubbling and steamed. Wipe up the steaming wet microwave. Use.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:

If you want to kasher the hotel microwave, it quite simple. Take a glass cup and fill with water. Place in microwave for 10 minutes u til bubbling and steamed. Wipe up the steaming wet microwave. Use.

I learned that you also need to move the cup and zap again to kasher the place where the cup was originally.

If you do kasher the microwave, let the boiling hot water cool off a little before cleaning it up. BTDT

mdoif

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:34 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
I learned that you also need to move the cup and zap again to kasher the place where the cup was originally.

If you do kasher the microwave, let the boiling hot water cool off a little before cleaning it up. BTDT

The whole kashering a microwave, especially from treyf (as opposed to meaty/dairy), is not accepted by all. Ask your lor.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:

We do with when changing a microwave from fleish to milchig or vice versa. However our Rav does not allow us to kasher a microwave that was used for treif.
Ask your own rav before doing this!

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:40 pm
(Remember, no paper ties, that have a metal wire inside the paper. No metal at all, including metallic decoration on a dish. It arcs and causes a fire.

If there ever is a fire, unplug, and douse with talcum powder or flour.)

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:44 pm
Maybe I should start a spinoff but how can you safely double wrap food in a micro?
Like ra_mom said, poking holes is not considered a complete covering. How do you get paper towels to stay closed? Do you tape them together? Can food be put in a sealed plastic container? Do I have to worry about plastic getting into the food?
So how do you do it halachicaly and safely?

oliveoil

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 10:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Microwave must be 100% clean before doing this in order for it to be valid.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 10:42 pm
Rutabaga wrote:

Here are 2 versions with directions

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t.....bduhg

http://www.bckosher.org/pdf/Passover_2014.pdf

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe I should start a spinoff but how can you safely double wrap food in a micro?
Like ra_mom said, poking holes is not considered a complete covering. How do you get paper towels to stay closed? Do you tape them together? Can food be put in a sealed plastic container? Do I have to worry about plastic getting into the food?
So how do you do it halachicaly and safely?

I would only use plastic that specifically says it is micrwave safe if you are worried about that. Try not to microwave it for too long, and try not to let th plastic touch the food directly. Or a microwave safe plastic container. I guess you do what you feel comfortable doing.

You could put it in a paper bag, fold up the open end several times so it is sealed and close with a single staple. (Alton Brown claims it's safe, and I've used a single stapled paper bag for making popcorn without any issues.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen