Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
School supplies question - pencils is what I need help with

kollel wife

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 10:50 am
Sorry if I seem too organized in advance. I'm trying to take advantage of some sales I see when doing my regular shopping.

Question - which brand of pencils do you buy that will actually allow you to sharpen them without cracking AND which sharpeners (not electric) will work. (I can maybe buy an electric one for home, but need to buy for their pencil cases.)

I previously could not seem to match pencils and sharpeners - maybe it's the cheap quality of the pencils, but they don't seem to sharpen, just keep breaking and the sharpeners either seem to small or too big.
I once actually bought eyeliner sharpeners as the lady in Rite Aide recommended that.

Advice please.

kb

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 10:58 am
Maybe I don't remember, or maybe pencil quality has changed since I was using a real pencil, but I don't think I ever had a problem with pencils cracking... if you sharpen them too much the top falls off, but that's it.

I think pencils usually go on sale at staples for a penny every year, but I don't know when it is.

momX4

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 11:28 am
I have an electric sharpener at home (I think my kids have in their classroom as well) and once a week or more I sharpen/replace the pencils. I sent to school the cheapest sharpener because my kids break/lose it within the first month.

I buy the pencils in Costco. They are Ticonderoga. They last as long as my kids dont snap it in half or chew off the eraser.... Smile

The cheap novelty pencils are the ones that dont sharpen well.

sky

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 11:35 am
I only made pencils made in the USA.
The ones made in China just sharpen and sharpen and just crach and are a waste of energy and patience.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 12:11 pm
The Dixon Ticonderogas cost much more initially but actually are a better buy. The leads are thicker, don't break easily, and the overall quality is much higher than any other brands I have used.

hotmom

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 12:23 pm
My kids all like the fancy sharpeners....I tell them it's for your collection NOT for School. I buy them the steel silver Sharpener slide shape, they're not expensive but sharpen even the cheap quality pencils. You can buy them in any good School supply store. Also I only allow the Mead white block erasers. They leave no mark behind and doesn't tear the paper.

HAPPY SHOPPING! LOL

kollel wife

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 12:35 pm
Thank you so much for all of your responses.

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 3:22 pm
I buy Staedler.

They don't have Dixon Ticonderogas here in E"Y. I hear those are made in Mexico now, BTW.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 4:52 pm
Sorry to hijack - any deals (preferably online) on the Dixon Ticonderoga pencils?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 4:56 pm
I second DrMom on the Staedtler erasers.

hotmom

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 6:40 pm
DrMom wrote:
I buy Staedler.

They don't have Dixon Ticonderogas here in E"Y. I hear those are made in Mexico now, BTW.

embarrassed thanx for correcting me...I meant the Staedler erasers.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 8:51 pm
When pencils fall or get dropped often, the lead inside breaks and that's what causes it to fall out every time you sharpen it.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:02 pm
There is only one pencil that I have had success with. Ticonderoga 12 #2 HB. Only buy the packages of 12. Learned the hard way that not all Ticonderoga pencils are created equal.
If you're in Brooklyn, best place to get them is variety corner. I have not always had success getting the exact ones I need online.

SplitPea

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:23 pm
Just be careful. So Many schools/teachers collect all then dish them out themselves (or your child does not get the exact supplies you send in and yours go into a "class set"

I know almost all the places I have worked have done this with at least some supplies

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:42 pm
hotmom wrote:
embarrassed thanx for correcting me...I meant the Staedler erasers.

(Wasn't trying to correct you; I didn't know you lived in E"Y. I was just explaining what I used. Smile )

I tried using the cheaper ones, but they don't erase as well.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:58 pm
SplitPea wrote:
Just be careful. So Many schools/teachers collect all then dish them out themselves (or your child does not get the exact supplies you send in and yours go into a "class set"

I know almost all the places I have worked have done this with at least some supplies

I've never heard of that. Why would they do it?

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 11:17 pm
SplitPea wrote:

If they did that to my kid, I would be furious. I bought it for MY kid. I spent good money on school supplies for my kid. if the teacher asked for an extra pack of pencils, paper, erasers ect for those times where everything in your pencil case breaks or a kid forgets his stuff...that would be fine. But why is this acceptable? Maybe have a gemach so poorer families can privately get the supplies they need. But to effectively steal my kids stuff? Why should I buy the fancier type, trying to help my kid, and then my kid not get use of it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics