Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Prism glasses by Dr Siwoff. Does it really help?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 12:26 pm
I luckily was able to get an appointment this month. They charge $600 and I would really like to know if it's worthwhile.

My son reads very slow

Anyone here can share experience?

TIA

amother
Red

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 4:32 pm
I'd also like to inquire regarding these glasses, has anyone had any experience?

SingALong

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 7:03 pm
My older dd wore them for awhile and her easing improved dramatically. She stopped needing them after a year.

Second son has special glasses from him for lazy eye, not prisms, something else. His vision improved a lot. He’s been wearing them for a year so far

vet techy

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 8:23 pm
I work for an eye doctor that perscribes prisms. I can't comment on Dr. Siwoff but in the practice that I work for I have seen many patients that were helped with them.

itsallgood

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 10:54 pm
Do you mind providing more information regarding the practice you work for?

vet techy

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:01 pm
itsallgood wrote:
Do you mind providing more information regarding the practice you work for?

Sure

I work for Dr. Ben Nayor in Westchester
What would you like to know?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:12 am
Where is Dr. Siwoff located? Did your kids school recommend him?
Also, "vet techy" is Dr. Nayor recommended by any school? Does any school constantly send their students to your office?

vet techy

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:29 am
[quote="amother"]Where is Dr. Siwoff located? Did your kids school recommend him?
Also, "vet techy" is Dr. Nayor recommended by any school? Does any school constantly send their students to your office?[/quote

Yes I can't think off the top of my head which yeshivas but several do not just from Monsey but from Monroe, Williasburg, Borough Park and Canada.

Several principals have come down to talk to my boss and ended up bringing their own kids.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 8:57 am
According to an optician I asked years ago, prisms are a crutch.

Prisms direct the eye to focus when the muscle should be doing that. Which keeps the muscle weak. If the child doesn’t wear prisms over time the muscles will strengthen through it’s use. Until then your child struggles, working/excersizing his or her muscles towards healing.

cbsp

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:26 am
My daughter was saved from eye surgery to correct a wandering eye via prism glasses. We used Dr. Michal Luchins in Suffern, NY
http://www.optometrists.org/DrLuchins/

The ophthalmologist who initially said DD would need at least one surgery immediately re-examined her and said that not only did we delay the need for surgery but at this point it would be contraindicated and that we should continue with Dr. Luchins' approach.

Yes it's expensive but she keeps tweaking the rx and changing (minimizing) the prism and the rest of her rx (bifocals, etc). We are seeing tremendous results in all areas of her life, from balance (she's only now starting to see 3D), reading, focus and attention, etc.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:
According to an optician I asked years ago, prisms are a crutch.

Prisms direct the eye to focus when the muscle should be doing that. Which keeps the muscle weak. If the child doesn’t wear prisms over time the muscles will strengthen through it’s use. Until then your child struggles, working/excersizing his or her muscles towards healing.

Opticians may not know about prisms - this is a specialty field.

I know that my opthamologist discouraged us from vision therapy for ds, as he said it doesn't help. After we did it, and it helped, he modified this to "Oh, it only helps SOME people".

I would go with prisms over vision therapy, though, if I had a choice, it's much easier.

Also, I was really wondering about this, as I thought that the only doctor who knows how to do prisms correctly is in England. I'm glad to find out that I was wrong.

rabshi

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 7:30 am
vet techy wrote:

Can you please ask him if he knows a prism professional in Israel?

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 8:30 am
Dr. Shlomowitz on kanfei nesharim in Jerusalem corrected my daughter's cross eyes with prism glasses

Frummommy138

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:03 pm
Just to add my 2 cents. Cant vouch for any of the above drs, but want to add that bh we saw HUGE improvement with reading and learning issues with the use of prism glasses. We used Dr. Alexander in London, it costs quite a bit but worth every cent. I looked into vision therapy here, but was told that it wasn't an option. From what I heard its a drawn out process and only works as long as you do it. One top optometrist in NY told me to accept that my son won't read, hell be an auditory learner. Not an ideal situation for a boy in our community, with our lifestyle. So bh he was a great shliach and the method does work if done correctly.

ellacoe

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:07 pm
vet techy wrote:
Sure

Does he do the same thing that the Doctor in London does?

vet techy

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:42 pm
rabshi wrote:
Can you please ask him if he knows a prism professional in Israel?

Sorry he doesn't but there was a whole article awhile back in one of the magazines I forget which one about a whole eye institute in Isreal.
I can't remember the name.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 12:09 am
Frummommy138 wrote:
Just to add my 2 cents. Cant vouch for any of the above drs, but want to add that bh we saw HUGE improvement with reading and learning issues with the use of prism glasses. We used Dr. Alexander in London, it costs quite a bit but worth every cent. I looked into vision therapy here, but was told that it wasn't an option. From what I heard its a drawn out process and only works as long as you do it. One top optometrist in NY told me to accept that my son won't read, hell be an auditory learner. Not an ideal situation for a boy in our community, with our lifestyle. So bh he was a great shliach and the method does work if done correctly.

We did vision therapy and it worked. It's the same price as the prism glasses, basically, and the prism glasses are easier, as there is no homework. But for those who want that option, we did find hatzlacha with vision therapy.

rabshi

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 7:12 am
amother wrote:
Dr. Shlomowitz on kanfei nesharim in Jerusalem corrected my daughter's cross eyes with prism glasses

Did she quit the prisms in the end, or she keeps on wearing them?

I just had our family checked at Michlelet Hadassah in Jerusalem. They say that if you start with prisms you never get off it and it becomes worse and then has to be adjusted again & again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics