Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Anyone with a nice Parve Dessert??

MiniMom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:22 pm
Hey girls,

This shudnt be hard for dessert lovers or gr8 chefs... I'm inviting over some in-laws for dessert after the morning meal on shabbos.... (got my question, didnt u?)

I wanna prepare s/t very different & presentable (& the taste? thats not a question..) BUT it shud be Parve... another huge BUT - I also dont wanna bake or cook anything....Just grab'em off the grocer shelf & lay them out nicely on the plates... Ingredients r no problem at all.. I'm open to all'o your ideas...

Wanna have it for this wk so I'd love to hear from you what you enjoyed or saw in the past that u'd wana share..

thank y'all

cassandra

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:36 pm
How about sorbet ruffles? Make three layers-- mango sorbet, pareve vanilla ice cream and raspberry sorbet in a cupcake liner. Uou can do any flavor combo but this works the best color-wise. Just make sure to soften the sorbet and ice cream a bit before you do it and each layer needs about 15 minutes to harden before you move on to the next. To serve remove the paper and put on a plate with some raspberry sauce and some raspberries (if you eat these)

solo

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:36 pm
thats a pretty high order. delicious and different, but totaly store bought.
well when I dont feel like cooking I serve sliced fruit and chocolates
not very exciting but easy and good

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:42 pm
Buy a nice parve cake in a good bakery, choc mousse, icecream, brownies, fruits, compote, pie.... kind of like a buffet

bubby

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:43 pm
Assorted dried fruits, nuts, fancy bakery cookies, chocolates, nice ice cream/sorbet scooped out into little cups & drizzled with chocolate or strawberry syrup, fresh fruit platter (some fancier fruit stores make them) or you can order fruit baskets from Edible Delights (I think that's the name) with a hechscher.

It's cheaper & very easy to make the napoleons from KBD Short on Time. My standby, looks & tastes fabulous & it's no bake.

geemum

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:46 pm
1. Buy 1 box of vanilla cuties and 1 box of chocolate cuties http://www.tofutti.com/c-v.shtml and 1 box of Rich's whip (or dairy free whipping cream)
2. slice each one lengthways
3. arrange 4 slices beside eachother black, white, black, white
4. arrange 4 slice ontop white, black, white, black
5. arrange 4 slices ontop black, white, black, white
6. arrange 4 slices ontop white, black, white black.
---> You should have a checkerboard of 4 layers by now.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 then put the two chunks together and
8. Whip the whip and cover the checkerboard log.
9. Slice and serve with fresh fruit or choc sauce or strawberry sauce (frozen strawberries blended with sugar and lemon to taste)

Found this recipe in a recent Mishpacha Family First edition.

It looks great!

MiniMom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:56 pm
oh u gals r way kwiker that I thought! thanx to all your ideas!

the one most catched my eye (& the most suitable answer to my question) was CASSANDRA'S .. I love the idea.. sort of refreshing in these sticky weathers & striking too.. but how do I prepare the rasp. sauce? just blend thawed raspberries w/confec. sugar?? & do I pour it over the raspberries or over the sorbet???

cassandra

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 4:12 pm
Some places actually sell it in a squeeze bottle, so you can just drizzle it onto the plate and put the sorbet on top. That's what I use, I don't know how to make it (but I'm sure others here do)

YALT

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 4:17 pm
I would drizzle it like a zigzag across the plate, and then place the sorbet ontop of it. Then a few raspberries on the side.

I like the checkerboard idea. I think I'll make it this week.
Someone else also wrote somewhere on here another tof.cutie recipe, which was a BIG hit! It was something like layer of choc. tof. cuties, layer of whip, chopped nutty chews sprinkled, and then repeat. I think I also put sprinkles, and whatnot.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 4:36 pm
cassandra wrote:
How about sorbet ruffles? Make three layers-- mango sorbet, pareve vanilla ice cream and raspberry sorbet in a cupcake liner. Uou can do any flavor combo but this works the best color-wise. Just make sure to soften the sorbet and ice cream a bit before you do it and each layer needs about 15 minutes to harden before you move on to the next. To serve remove the paper and put on a plate with some raspberry sauce and some raspberries (if you eat these)

This looks delicious. I'm saving this recipe for when I'm in need of something special. Thanks.

geemum wrote:
1. Buy 1 box of vanilla cuties and 1 box of chocolate cuties http://www.tofutti.com/c-v.shtml and 1 box of Rich's whip (or dairy free whipping cream)
2. slice each one lengthways
3. arrange 4 slices beside eachother black, white, black, white
4. arrange 4 slice ontop white, black, white, black
5. arrange 4 slices ontop black, white, black, white
6. arrange 4 slices ontop white, black, white black.
---> You should have a checkerboard of 4 layers by now.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 then put the two chunks together and
8. Whip the whip and cover the checkerboard log.
9. Slice and serve with fresh fruit or choc sauce or strawberry sauce (frozen strawberries blended with sugar and lemon to taste)

Found this recipe in a recent Mishpacha Family First edition.

It looks great!

Thanks for your idea too. A long time ago I made checkerboard cookies with cream. It was so pretty and good.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 10:09 pm
Buy yellow sponge cake and layer it in a trifle bowl with whip and strawberries (the frozen that comes with sauce)... it will be heavenly but best if eaten right after you made it, or the whole cake will turn pink.

anonymom

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 12:36 am
You wanna patchka-OK here goes.

Peel a bunch of fresh, ripe apricots and remove pits. Add enough water to just barely cover the fruit and 1-2 oz sugar per pound of fruit (that is an estimate). Cook till soft. Puree with hand blender. Strain to remove fibers. The strainer has to be just right to let the soup through but not the fibers. You may need to experiment with different ones. But it is worth it.

Chill. This is delicious served by itself as an appetizer or desert. For something really special and if you really love to patchka, you can do the same thing (cook with water and sugar) with frozen rasperries. (Star K says you can use any frozen berries) Strain to remove seeds.

When you're ready to serve, take two identical pitchers or two cups with handles to use to pour from. Pour equal amounts of each soup into both halves of a bowl at the same time. If it's not Shabbos, you can make a swirly design. You can garnish with twisted lime slices.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 9:50 am
ShakleeMom wrote:
Buy yellow sponge cake and layer it in a trifle bowl with whip and strawberries (the frozen that comes with sauce)... it will be heavenly but best if eaten right after you made it, or the whole cake will turn pink.

Another good idea to save. Thanks.

YALT

Post Sat, Jun 27 2009, 11:17 pm
OK. I made the checkerboard cake for dessert.
Everyone was so amazed!

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:43 am
cassandra wrote:

Does anyone have a good recipe for the mango and raspberry layers of this? I don't want to use a bought sorbet, I want to make my own.
I'd like to do a mango sorbet layer, a vanilla ice cream layer, and a strawberry ice cream layer. Anyone have the recipe?

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 10:12 am
anyone know of this recipe?????
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics