Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Maximizing space - daughters room

acccdac

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 5:31 pm
We have 2 bedrooms that we use for our kids.
Currently my boys are in a room 170 sq ft.
My daughter is in a room 110 sq ft.
I would like to move my baby into my daughters room.

Eventually (in the next 1-5 years) I would like to switch the boys into the smaller room and the girls into the larger room.

The larger room is completely fitted with furniture, red mahogany twin beds, a dresser, chest and nightstand.

The smaller room is made up of random pieces. The bed is just a metal frame for the mattress, with a metal trundle (no headboard). There is a 3 shelf cube bookcase. There is also a HUGE (67W x 20 D x 45H) dresser that we had bought at a clearance center about 9 years ago. The furniture piece takes up a whole wall and does not fit in a child's bedroom. Its more of something you would find in a large master bedroom (or a dining room buffet).

There is an area in the room that is a desk with 2 closets on each side. It kind of looks like the original owners took a deep closet (2.5 feet) make a desk in the center, with a hanging closet on one side, and a closet of shelves on the other. Currently I have clothing for my daughter in the hanging part (I had a shelf build so I could use the bottom half of the closet for storage since her clothes are still small, it can be removed when full length is needed). The closet with the shelves is used for toys (there is no official play room in our house).

I would love to replace the dresser, but at the same time I dont want to buy separate pieces but I dont know where to start in terms of buying furniture for the whole room.

any suggestions?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 5:41 pm
I love this - http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalo.....8091/ - I got rid of my kids dressers and replaced them with these. They take up soooo much less space and are so much easier for the kids to open and close - obsessed. Smile amother because I tell people about them a lot! Wink

Tova

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 5:49 pm
How do you store other clothes besides shoes in those?

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 5:50 pm
I am a fan of captain's beds that have drawers underneath. Chuck the dressers.

Some units have a desk.

Some have an upper bed. Some people don't like that double-decker arrangement for various reasons.

http://www.hayneedle.com/produ.....d.cfm

This is expensive but interesting (I haven't used it):

http://resourcefurniture.com/g.....hMs5s

amother

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 5:54 pm
Tova wrote:
How do you store other clothes besides shoes in those?

You can put whatever you want in them - they are awesome for socks and underwear, pajamas, whatever you'd normally put in a drawer. Much better than a dresser in every way, really!

acccdac

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 6:27 pm
I just remeasured the room and I realized since the two side closets have doors I loose 2 feet of wall space on 2 of my walls.

I think I need to have a contractor come in and tell me how much it would cost to reconvert the 2 closet/desk back into a full closet with sliding doors. Once I'm doing that I'll also get a quote to shorten the depth of the closet from 2.5 ft to 1.5-2 ft so I can add some square footage to the room.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics