Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What is in your fridge/cabinets

avi0903

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 3:13 pm
I'm making my shopping list now, and I realize I never know what to buy. I spend about $200-$250/week to feed my family, and still I get the proverbial "there's nothing to eat!" from everyone in the house. I ask them to tell me what they want, and they say they don't know. The truth is, I don't know either!

What is in your refrigerator? Freezer? Cabinets? What do the folks in your house grab to eat when they are opening all the doors and looking for sustenance?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 3:37 pm
We only eat meat/chicken on Shabbat and as leftovers.

Fridges:
- dairy: milk, soy milk cottage cheese, yogurt, hard cheese (a few different types), butter (salted/unsalted), margarine. I used to buy French soft cheese but cutting back on fat and budget, so English cheddar for me now.
- fruits: grapes, peaches, nectarines, lemons (unwaxed so I can use the squeezed ones to pickle),
oranges, bananas. Whatever is in season basically
- vegetables: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes (sometimes), celery, courgettes,
radishes (sometimes) carrots.
- sliced bread
- at least 1 dzn eggs, they can always have omelettes or pancakes
(though here we don't keep them refrigerated)
- the rest is mainly condiments (dressings, mustard, ketuchup, mayo, zchug, curry sauce, BBQ sauce, harissa, pickles, capers, tomato concentrate, jam, marmalade), wine (drinking and cooking), sometimes OJ. (We also cut back on fruit juices)

Freezer:
- vegetarian burgers/sausages, frozen peas, broad beans, cooked chickpeas
- pittah, challah rolls, frozen pizza dough, frozen pastry dough, fillo dough, knaiffe dough
- a few packs of frozen fish (cod, salmon), minched beef, minced turkey or veal, chicken breast
pre-cooked meatballs or braised lamb or brisket
- chicken soup, some kind of kugel or cake, rice, cheese I use less often (parmesan, kashkaval),
- grated orange rind, grated lemon rind, chopped herbs
- Ice cream, ice lollies, extra homemade compotes, frozen fruits (berries, mango)

tichellady

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 3:40 pm
I always have a pot of soup in my fridge and bananas and apples and peanut butter for snacking on.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 7:33 pm
In my fridge right now: Potato salad from two Shabbosim ago; a handful of shriveled grapes; a sack of slightly past-their-prime cherries; four slices of bread from who knows when; something that used to be celery; one sardine in a jar; cranberry sauce from when I made turkey for Pesach; several packages of herb seeds that I would plant if I had a garden. But I don't. Also a bottle of cologne. In the freezer: kneidlach from Pesach; fried fish from Shavuos; a handful of meatballs from the Carter administration; a loaf cake from whenever; sliced veggies for soup. Come and get it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics