Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Talking to my son's therapist

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 2:50 am
My five year old is in therapy, and I usually call her afterwards for feedback and to discuss what's going on. She told me that she would like to schedule an appt with me every few weeks to talk. Is this necessary or can we just talk on the phone? Do I have to pay extra for her feedback? She is private and very expensive

miami85

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 3:48 am
What kind of therapy? Is there any sort of insurance involved or is ALL out of pocket?

My understanding based on personal experience as well as from a family member who does medical billing, is that doctors/therapists--any provider that bills insurance or medicaid (not even necessarily for your case) doesn't really have "phone time" to discuss results and progress.

There are billing codes that they have to follow for billing purposes and in order to get paid they need to note the code, and they can be very specific.

I've had many-a-time that I felt that a doctor/therapist was wasting time "filling out paperwork" on my time--but that's really the only time they have. Doctors used to have time to fill out charts--but not anymore. You see patients, you get paid and nothing else.

Also, based on that (even if it's not insurance based), therapists often have to see patients back-to-back to maximize their time and $. So while YOU don't want to pay extra, if she is shmoozing on the phone with you or other patients, she's not seeing other clients (who are also paying and have appointments and other lives so it wouldn't be fair to take their time).

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 3:53 am
I'm sorry to break it to you, but that is the standard practice for therapists.

Her time is her parnassa, and if she is talking to you on the phone after every single session for free, she has been very nice.

I speak with my child's therapist for 2 minutes while I pick him up (she knows I like to check in, and has the option of ending 2 minutes early to accommodate this), and schedule a full parent session to talk every 6 months or so; more frequently if there is a problem that requires more meetings.

The parent sessions are covered by insurance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers