Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Anyone bakes with Quinoa flour?

Mevater

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 6:01 pm
Does the taste of baked goods baked with Quinoa Flour, differ much from wheat or spelt?

Anyone have a Quinoa Flour Challah recipe?

Where is the best place to buy Quinoa flour in 5 pound bags (Brooklyn)?

I see Eden sells a 5 lb bag for $25 online.

http://www.edenfoods.com/store.....11748

Mishmish

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 12:43 am
I bake with it. The taste differs from wheat and spelt significantly. Very much so. It has a strong flavor. I find that it pairs best with other strong flavors, like cocoa.

Are you planning to bake with it as the only flour or as an add-in? It behaves differently, as all GF flours do, from wheat. So one has to adjust expectations, particularly if you are baking with it as the sole flour. Most people will say to combine flours if you are baking gluten free and I agree from a texture and taste standpoint. I bake with it as the sole flour for allergy reasons.

I do not buy it already ground as I find it is very bitter, so I don't have a recommendation for where to get it unfortunately. Instead, I grind raw quinoa into a flour in a high-powered blender.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads