Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Wakes up to eat toooo often

alwaybhappy

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 2:50 am
I had enough of it! He is almost 4 months and wakes up too many times. I just don't have the energy to be up so many times a night anymore.
I don't have patience to look online for how to sleep train. Ive done it too many times with my other babies./.....

Can I just let him cry at night and ignore him?? Will he eventually learn to stay asleep?? I dont know if I will be able to do it but if enough ppl tell me that is the way and it will work... then I will try to persist.

Is it fair to put him out of my room and put him to sleep at say 8pm, feed him at 1am and expect him to continue sleeping till 6am? (and anytime he wakes up between those times, ignore him?--I dont think putting the paci in will work, but if I try and it doesnt work, can I then ignore him??)
I am just so finished!

Please, any advice!

PAMOM

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 7:15 am
While other imamothers are definitely more knowledgable on this topic than I am, I don't think you can refuse to feed a 4- month - old baby if he's hungry or hold him if he's in pain. However, ask your pediatrician if you want. I think just letting an infant scream can do real psychological damage too.

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 7:18 am
That sounds like a pretty mean thing to do, and would probably qualify as child neglect. The way it works at 4 months old is that the baby wakes up every 2-3 hours to eat. What means too often to you? Why don't you have patience to give your baby the care he needs and deserves?

chanar

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 7:36 am
I would discuss it with your pediatrician.. Babies at 4 months are very capable of going without food for more then 2-3 hours.. I know some ppl supplement a bottle of formula before bedtime to help them feel fuller and sleep longer. I totally understand your frustration. It's very very tiring. Your pediatrician should have advice for you.. Good luck..

IMHopinion

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 10:32 am
What does often mean?
Every 2-3 hours is normal. Difficult for mom, but normal for baby.

kb

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 11:03 am
No you cannot force a four month old to sleep for five hours at a time without food. He'll get there eventually but he's still very young.

Try a bottle before bed, formula is supposed to last longer than milk. And talk to your doctor about when you can start giving him real food.

Signed, a mother who let all her kids cry out out, but at closer to a year.

smss

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 11:37 am
how often does he wake up? if it's every 2-3 hours it's probably real hunger, if it's more like every hour, it's more likely to be a sleep association. they need to be dealt with differently so it makes a difference.

exhaustion is SO hard to deal with so I totally understand why you are feeling desperate enough to try CIO, but your baby is really, really too young for that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics