Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Basic hygiene is a fight

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 2:57 am
My dd's ages 7 and 10 refuse to take showers and brush their teeth. It's a nightly battle. They understand the concept of a person needing to be clean. They know if they don't brush their teeth they'll get cavities and fillings by the dentist. They just don't care. Sometimes I just don't have strength to fight with them about it and they go to sleep dirty. Then the next day they smell. Whenever they get close to me and talk in my face, I gag from the smell.

How can I get them to want to take showers and brush their teeth on their own? I don't mind reminding them. It's the battle that I can't take. I tried charts which helped a little but I don't have time to do charts nightly. Any ideas?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 1:07 pm
they need to shower as soon as they come home, or no playtime/downtime/etc. make it a rule. they'll get used to it. they won't want to shower, but they should become more willing.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 1:21 pm
I agree to give them an incentive/consequence. Make something desirable on a daily basis contingent on showering, and make bedtime 10 minutes earlier for anyone whose teeth are not brushed. Something like that. And be consistent or it will absolutely fail.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children