Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Bed time rules and giving each child quality time at bedtime

avocado7

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 5:11 pm

Putting to sleep all your children:- Be gentle and firm at all times .
I suggest they all be in bed at the same time, each with his or her own book or toy
according to there age .Especially picture books are interesting..........but explain any questions during daytime-about the book !!

Then each child gets a turn every night to receive quality time with you ! Write out a rota so you and they know whose turn it is. ONLY if quiet -while waiting for there turn-will they be rewarded with your quality time.
keeping your word & letting them know that if silence is not obeyed .............they use up there minutes with you.
(Have a pen and paper next to you -to record it !!!) they loose 1 minute every single time he or she interrupts.
remind them now you have 4 or 3 minutes left + so on . Let he or she know 1 more interruption means you've used up all your minutes .

They should all know that keep on Reminding him or them this several times "in the briefest of words" as possible. (for example " if you are) "Nagging" them it "never" gets heard- always keep it brief.

Bearing in mind that "they" are not using disruptive OR ABUSIVE interruption , he or she could loose all there 5 minutes in 1 shot !!!

say "Too bad - sorry I warned you about it " -It's only fair to make them understand the rules first " Before giving them consequences."
-
You can" definitely " give them more chances , if there very young or / and just learning these new rules. It's only fair ! Until you become strict with the rules. And they know what to expect.

"Always remain calm yourself " -Especially whilst in this situation as shouting or arguing with them will have a disruptive effect.
You'll be surprised how quickly they'll calm down (lol) as they'll have no one to support there arguments !!!

All this Creates peace and" no" disruption.
when discipline is practiced , it creates security & a feeling of safety "for every one " !!
Thanks so much for reading and your time ! and Hatzlacha !!!
Enjoy your precious diamonds Hashem gave you !!! B.H.
let me hear your feed back !

Last edited by avocado7 on Mon, Aug 18 2014, 9:49 pm; edited 3 times in total

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 5:25 pm
Thanks a lot for your advice I specifically like the no nagging or don't repeat yourself. I need to work on that and just speak calm and firm.Not easy!!!!! I tend to repeat myself ..thanks again!

Aylat

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 5:31 pm
Malka120 wrote:

Be gentle and firm at all times .
I
ALWAYS REMAIN calm yourself
-Especially whilst in this situation as shouting or arguing with them will have a disruptive effect.
YOU"LL be surprised how quickly they'll calm down (lol) as they'll have no one to support there arguments !!!

This is good advice that I need to work on, thanks.

But the rest of it, don't see it working out well for the needs of my kids. All in bed at the same time? What age ranges are you talking about?
Davka I often find it works better and calmer (though longer for me, argh Wink ) when the kids go to bed one by one. Especially if they're sharing a room, they can't hyper each other up if there's only one awake one.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 5:34 pm
Hi Malka120, welcome to Imamother!

I just wanted to let you know that on internet forums such as this one it is considered the equivalent of shouting to write in all capital letters. People occasionally do so for emphasis, but all caps should be used sparingly. Thanks!

I hope you enjoy your time here!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 5:37 pm
This is amother before I just wanted to make myself clear . When I said I repeat myself I tend to get upset when they don't listen;so I yell 'keep quiet' or why r all kids in other houses sleeping already? I like your ideas thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics