Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What is the appropriate response?

miami85

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 1:16 pm
My 2-year-old has discovered that he can hit and bite to try get his way--not that we give into it, but he keeps it up trying to get his way (sometimes something as demanding a bottle for the "umpteenth time" in a day and refusing to eat food). He hits and bites hard. I think a "patch" would be counterproductive, and he doesn't stop at a firm "NO". If he can't hit or bite he then proceeds to rip up something like a book. So far we've resorted to giving him a time out in his crib, but at home he is now in a toddler bed and he doesn't have his own room so that won't be effective. Looking for any suggestions.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 1:31 pm
I always tell my 2 year old that we can't give boo-boos, and hands are for hugs and kisses and then he gives me a hug.
With biting, on the rare occasion that he bites, I will pinch his lips together from his cheeks (to form a pinched O) and tell shim firmly "we don't bite!"

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 1:35 pm
My son is still in a crib (even though he's almost 3) but we didn't want to associate the crib with anything bad like a time out.

I received a pretty good idea from a seasoned mother who I am close with and so far it has worked- my son takes it seriously and calms down from it.

We take him out of whatever situation he is tantruming in and usually into a different room. We sit him either on a lap or next to myself or my husband and hold him (arms) firmly but not tight.

We sit there silently for at least 2.5 mins (timeout minutes =age) and then go over what happened. We usually end it with a kiss and tell him that he is a good boy but what he did was not okay. If he tries to talk during the time out we just repeat "sorry we're in timeout. We will talk after"

Hatzlocha rabba

miami85

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 2:40 pm
In this case he's doing it maliciously--he KNOWs it hurts and he wants something NOW and if he's in that mode, if any body part is available he will hit/bite and it HURTS.

Eema--I've tried something similar, not sure if it's effective.

I don't want to associate his crib with punishment either, but I feel he needs to be put somewhere to get the message that these methods will not get you what you want, and you will lose attention as well while you are at it.

I don't want to be "abusive" c"v, but I need to get the message across to him that this is NOT Ok. I really don't know what to do.

KeepCalm

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 4:56 pm
Read 1-2-3 Magic. It's a great book for disciplining.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics