Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Start college? Where and how to begin?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:07 pm
I am thinking of starting college. I dont have any college schooling so I'm literally starting from scratch in terms of credits. I know September is fast approaching and wouldn't be able to get into anything for this year but how do I make the most of this year so that if I do start possibly in the spring (if that's even possible) or the following fall, I would be ahead and speed through the process quicker.

I'm looking to get a bachelors in nursing if that helps.

If someone and has recently done this or is extremely knowledgable about the process that would be amazing.

TIA

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:10 pm
no clue about nursing, but I think a good starting point would be taking the SATs.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:13 pm
I took them years ago....do I really need a score? Would I have to take them over? I have no idea what my scores were.

OP

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:15 pm
yes, you need a score. if you can find out what your previous scores were, you may be able to use them. but there are new SATs now (they changed them a while back). colleges do look at your SAT scores. some base academic scholarships on them. look into it.

momomany

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:22 pm
All you need to apply is a high school transcript. If you will be applying for financial aid, you need a tax return and/or w2s, 1099s etc. If you know what degree you would like to earn, call local colleges, tell them your situation and ask them how to apply. Much luck!

little_mage

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 9:52 pm
Do you have any idea where you might like to go? Contact the admissions office(s) of the schools you're interested in. They should be able to tell you what the requirements are, at least for their specific school.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 11:43 pm
RCC in Monsey has a great nursing program. I know lots of Jewish ladies who go there.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 1:24 am
Call schools to find out entrance requirements.

Check out community colleges.they are cheaper and can help with prerequisites, especially those not in your field. Make sure they are transferable to 4year schools! (Nursing schools perhaps?) Many have staggered start times (you can start in the January semester etc).

Study for and take the SATs. Those scores "expire". 5years? Not sure.

Save up money for all the school expenses you will have. Textbooks, computer/printer, time off of work, things to help you at home (takeout during finals, cleaning help) etc.

proudmother770

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 1:30 am
If you go to cuny full time you can apply to public assistance- (depending on your income/ husbands,which will pay some of your rent, get cash and pay for child care etc) and cuny have desent nursing progrmas

theta1870

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 2:57 am
College Confidential is an excellent resource for college applicants. Here is a link to the non-traditional student forum http://talk.collegeconfidentia.....ents/

If you are going the community college route, check to see if your state's cc programs have automatic acceptances with the 4 year publics. Many states do have something like this ie 3.9 cc gpa will automatically get you into the flagship university's engineering school.

mille

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 11:00 am
Look at community colleges. You don't need SAT scores for community college, especially if you are a number of years out of the typical age when you take them. I took SATs at 16/17 (early, I know), then I started community college at 22. They didn't require SAT scores, but I had to take placement tests for math and english. In my experience, I didn't even need a high school transcript, just proof that I graduated high school. Being a resident of the county the college was in and having a high school diploma was plenty to get in.

I strongly suggest that you start with pre-reqs and whatever in a community college and transfer. I am not sure if an associates in nursing would help towards a bachelors in nursing, but some community colleges offer specific nursing programs. Otherwise, look at what schools offer a bachelors in nursing and contact them about finding out what credits will transfer towards your bachelors. Many credits may not transfer, and then it's just a waste of time!

But community college is the leg-up you need if you are a while out of high school with no SAT scores or other recent education. Even just one semester of pre-reqs that transfer might be enough to transfer into a 4 year university with a nursing program.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 11:50 am
OP here.

Thank you everyone for all the great advice. I am looking into a few of the ideas.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 8:08 pm
You can take some courses online on your own time schedule. For example, I'm taking chemistry through Ole Miss for only $450 (because I'm over 25). With their classes you sign up whenever and have a year to complete the assignments and midterm/final. http://www.outreach.olemiss.ed......html You have to be the type who can do online classes though. Some people do better with a classroom setting.

Look on allnurses.com forums to find lots of advice about school.

But the obvious first step is to talk to the people at your local community college. Make an appointment for academic advising and career counseling and they'll walk you through the steps and options.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics