Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Shoes...orthotics

acccdac

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 8:21 pm
My 11 year old ds needs new sneakers about every 6 months.

I havent decided yet if its his fault (possibly not taking care of them or wearing them too hard) or not his fault (his feet destroy the shoes).

I usually buy his sneakers at Big 5. From my understanding they are regular shoes (nike, filas, adidas, etc) its just an older model.

He is asking for real nikes or air jordans and those cost anywhere from $60-180. I do not want to spend that much, but at the same time if they'll last then I'm willing to buy them.

Is it possibly its his foot? would buying orthotics solve the problem?
I have a podiatrist that I trust but he also is of the theory that everyone can use orthotics. I dont want to go through the appointment process, molding process, purchasing process, etc. if its not really an issue and I'm STILL going to have to buy him new sneakers in 6 months.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 9:02 pm
I'm confused about how he could be ruining his shoes on purpose. By not taking care of them? What do you do to take care of your shoes exactly? By being too hard on them? You mean that he purposely steps hard on his shoes all the time so that he can ruin them? Why would a kid do that?

It seems like the way he walks is just hard on shoes. I highly doubt that he's walking that way purposely to ruin his shoes. Does that mean that he needs orthotics? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe ask his pediatrician for an opinion. Or a physical therapist if you know one. Someone who can watch him walk barefoot and determine if there's a pattern there that should be corrected.

acccdac

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 9:28 pm
yes, by dragging your feet, stepping into the shoe without opening the laces, picking at them, etc.

I know he is a kid and thats what kids do but in my opinion its no okay.

(for example, kids leave toothpaste on the sink, that doesnt mean you dont teach them to clean it themselves and rinse the sink.)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 12:26 pm
You're probably fine without orthotics. When I was younger my mother took all my shoes to the cobbler to have insteps put in. As an adult, I did fine with shoes with a thick sole and a built up instep. Until I got heel spurs, now I use custom orthotics. I doubt people need the real thing unless they present with problems.
At this point, between feet growing and hard wear, 6 months doesn't sound bad. But because you and he know he'll need shoes soon, I think his request for those sneakers is extremely unrealistic. Now once he has adult sized feet, you will need to spend more and depending on availability of stores, coupons, etc., you may find yourself spending $50 - 60. More than that, let him chip in. And the $180 sneakers I don't think is a healthy standard to set. Just MHO.

acccdac

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 1:34 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
You're probably fine without orthotics. When I was younger my mother took all my shoes to the cobbler to have insteps put in. As an adult, I did fine with shoes with a thick sole and a built up instep. Until I got heel spurs, now I use custom orthotics. I doubt people need the real thing unless they present with problems.
At this point, between feet growing and hard wear, 6 months doesn't sound bad. But because you and he know he'll need shoes soon, I think his request for those sneakers is extremely unrealistic. Now once he has adult sized feet, you will need to spend more and depending on availability of stores, coupons, etc., you may find yourself spending $50 - 60. More than that, let him chip in. And the $180 sneakers I don't think is a healthy standard to set. Just MHO.

I agree on the price concept. I have a hard time spending more than $40 on a shoe for myself. I spend the $60 on shoes for my 4 year old because I tried the cheap route or buying a year in advance but she got blisters and cuts from the shoes, she needs to be fitted properly.

I wouldn't buy the $160 full price but on sale for $80 although that thought still hurt. (He is a men's size 8 already so I have to spend adult prices)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 2:47 pm
acccdac wrote:
I agree on the price concept. I have a hard time spending more than $40 on a shoe for myself. I spend the $60 on shoes for my 4 year old because I tried the cheap route or buying a year in advance but she got blisters and cuts from the shoes, she needs to be fitted properly.

I wouldn't buy the $160 full price but on sale for $80 although that thought still hurt. (He is a men's size 8 already so I have to spend adult prices)

That's a hard call. We've managed to keep it cheaper, with Kohl's on sale with a coupon, Famous Footwear, DSW, etc.

As far as your 4 y.o., do what you have to do, but even adjusting for inflation from when my kids were little, I would think there might be other options. I guess I just haven't done little kids shoe shopping in ages.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics