Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Friend says I shouldn't make ds put on his yarmulke

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 3:05 pm
What's your opinion?

My 10 year old with ADHD was running through the sprinkler without his yarmulke and I told him to put it on. He ignored me (pretending he hadn't heard but I'm 99% sure he did). So I got up and put my arms gently on his shoulders, looked in his eyes, and said softly "you have to put your yarmulke on to be in the sprinkler." He put it on and ran off happily.

My friend who was watching this then yelled at me. She says that I shouldn't tell my kids what to do when it comes to wearing a yarmulke or reminding my girls to pull down their skirts if they've ridden up. She says "if you want him to wear that yarmulke when he's 20 you better not tell him to wear it now." She's always giving me these warnings and they scare me. Do you think she's right?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 3:08 pm
I disagree with your friend on the larger point, but then again, I would never expect my son to wear his yarmulke while playing in a sprinkler. I wouldn't want it to get wet and to me it would fall under the same category as swimming, bathing and sleeping.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 3:09 pm
I think you're both wrong.

You're wrong for telling him to put on his kippah while running through the sprinklers. Does he swim with a kippah too? Does he shower with a kippah?

I think she's wrong, because you're his mother and you can remind him to put on a kippah (when it's appropriate kippah-wearing time, that is). A child doesn't throw off his kippah because his parent reminded him to wear one.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 3:20 pm
She's totally out of line for giving unsolicited chinuch advice. And there was no apparent struggle so I don't even understand what she was getting at... He seemed to take it the same way he would take you saying that he needs to put on his shoes or his jacket.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics