Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DD wants homeschooling (spinoff DS wants MO school)

amother

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 8:14 am
marina wrote:
I have a 15 yr old. Two years ago, she was miserable in her Beis Yaakov school and hated life and hated Judaism. Really hated.

I switched her mid-year to an MO school. Not paying anything close to full tuition.

She is now a happy, cheerful, popular kid. The difference was almost overnight. Several years after I switched her, now she is involved in many frum organizations (NCSY, Bnei Akiva, Friendship Circle, Yachad, etc.) goes to shiurim in the evenings, and is begging to go to seminary in Israel.

I did not make her pay for her school.

Also, the rest of the school is incredibly rich. They own huge conglomerates and live the lifestyle. I've had almost no issues. Her friends love her for who she is.

I'm intrigued by your post. Did your daughter ask to go to the MO school, or did you suggest it? Did she know people there prior to attending?

I have a 13 y.o. daughter in a yeshivish school,and she is miserable. She's gifted, but she struggles with Hebrew (language). She also has attentional and emotional issues.

She wants out. She feels most of the other girls don't appreciate learning the way she does. She doesn't have the same priorities as the school. She hates tests and homework. For the most part, her teachers have been very understanding and accommodating, but we realize that the school is not a good match for her.

The thing is we don't know what to do with her. She is begging to be homeschooled. She wants to have more flexibility with her education and learn at her own pace. She definitely puts up a valid argument, and we have to do something. But I'm not sure if she will have much of a social life if she is home-schooled. Because of who I am, I don't think I will able to facilitate that for her.

There is a MO school here. But I'm not so sure it's right for her and maybe will be just be trading one problem for another.

TzipporahN

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 4:12 pm
I just saw this post - how are things going now? There are people on the chinuch/education: homeschooling sub-forum that could give feedback and there's also an active Yahoo group - jewishorthodoxandhomeschooling - lots of support and advice on there.

Bruria

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:22 pm
I agree with you, socializing is very important. Maybe if she tried the MO school first? Who knows, maybe she'll like it. If it really doesn't work out, then consider her homeschooling idea. Unless you think homeschooling would be better for her, each child is different. The thing is, she will need some self discipline if she is home schooled, so it's up to you and your husband to see if it would be good for her.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:33 pm
I was homeschooled. It was the best thing that ever happened to my social life! Once I was out from under the social pressure and bullying in school, I was able to just enjoy people and I am very outgoing and have a lot of friends. I centered my social life around my shul and volunteering, which was how I was eventually set up with my husband.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children