Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
TTI financial aid?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Peanut2

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 8:10 pm
What MaBelleVie said.

Many state schools offer online courses. You can bring baby with you to campus and have a student watch her when you are in class. If you have an easy baby you may be allowed to bring her to classes. I was told I could at a top ranking university, but I didn't have an easy baby. And if you have a difficult baby how can you focus on online classes properly without a babysitter?

Actually, If you have a baby and are studying for a degree and don't need a babysitter something is off with your degree. It should require more of your time.

Online and distance learning is so big now that you should look at options that incorporate that at your local state universities. And aren't they cheaper?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:19 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
You don't have a great chance of being admitted to a competitive graduate program from an online undergrad. However, if you do manage to graduate from a top school, I can't see any employer giving two hoots about where you did your undergrad.

Since OP is interested in accounting she won't be pursuing a graduate degree anyway. I honestly don't see her finding a job easily with a tti degree.
Why do you say that? In order to become a CPA (yea, I know it's a long way off), I'd want the highest level of education available so that I would need fewer years working in the field.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:20 pm
I highly doubt anyone would pass the CPA after going to TTI.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
Why do you say that? In order to become a CPA (yea, I know it's a long way off), I'd want the highest level of education available so that I would need fewer years working in the field.

What do you mean?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:47 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
What do you mean?
Taken from NYS government site:
Education Requirements

To fulfill the education requirement for licensure, you must complete:

•an accounting program registered by the Department as licensure-qualifying, or
•an accounting program that is accredited by an accrediting body accepted by the Department. Currently the Association for the Advancement of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) is accepted. Receipt of a Master's degree in accounting from such a program will be deemed as meeting New York's 150 semester hour education requirements, or
•a program determined by the Department, after review of your official transcripts, to be equivalent to a registered program, or
•15 years of public accounting experience acceptable to the State Board for Public Accountancy.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:49 pm
oliveoil wrote:
I highly doubt anyone would pass the CPA after going to TTI.

They claim that yes. They have a course track which is specifically geared towards the NYS CPA exams. http://www.testingandtraining......n.php

I'm seeing now that it's only a bachelor's. They don't seem to offer master's in accouonting....

SRS

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 11:48 pm
Feeling like an idiot when I asked about State of Illinois recruiting. Name recognition of a college is something. I did not think this was a New York program as I had it confused with another program. I looked up the New York work requirement for the CPA and you will need relevant experience. Remember that to get that experience you will be competing with people from other brick and mortar colleges. If you have a foot in a door somewhere, perhaps you won't have problem gaining the experience needed.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 11:52 pm
This is not my field at all, but AFAIK you need 150 credits, not a full master's degree.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:47 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
You don't have a great chance of being admitted to a competitive graduate program from an online undergrad. However, if you do manage to graduate from a top school, I can't see any employer giving two hoots about where you did your undergrad.

Since OP is interested in accounting she won't be pursuing a graduate degree anyway. I honestly don't see her finding a job easily with a tti degree.

I already have a grad degree... Sorry thought I wrote it. Not interested in going back to school right now but was just curious about a young lady I know who was looking into programs... (Still in high school but doesn't want to go to a "real university" like NYU, COlumbia etc cuz can't afford it but could possibly get a scholarship from Touro but trying to convince to go community college to a state school).

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:58 am
LittleDucky wrote:
I already have a grad degree... Sorry thought I wrote it. Not interested in going back to school right now but was just curious about a young lady I know who was looking into programs... (Still in high school but doesn't want to go to a "real university" like NYU, COlumbia etc cuz can't afford it but could possibly get a scholarship from Touro but trying to convince to go community college to a state school).

I didn't mean you personally, I meant general "you" Smile

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 3:00 am
Oops Wink
Guess my graduate degree doesn't help me all that much here Smile. Maybe I should go back to school- PHD in imamother-speak?
By the way, what does it mean when someone quotes another post and just writes "this"? This-what? TIA!

oliveoil

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 9:21 am
LittleDucky wrote:

By the way, what does it mean when someone quotes another post and just writes "this"? This-what? TIA!

It means they agree and want to say the same thing.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 9:27 am
Many campuses have day care, especially state schools. If you live in NYC, there is Hillel next to Brooklyn College that has a day care also.
Wait till they are older, I agree that online schools are a waste.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:55 am
oliveoil wrote:
It means they agree and want to say the same thing.

Thanks!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 7:14 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
I didn't know Touro had that bad a reputation. But I know that online degrees are NOT recommended. Employers and grad schools think they are "quickie"degrees that don't require the Same work load. And many times they don't. I know if I was hiring, I wouldn't hire from TTI, Bulka, Sarah schneirer etc. I know people who went through these programs and when I compared their work load to any other school (even Touro or community college) it was laughable. TTI, Bulka etc had No real reports, a major paper was 2 pages long. They got lots of credit for non academic stuff like chessed. They didn't have to teach themselves anything-they were spoonfed everything. In college. (I know Touro doesn't compare to Harvard or Columbia, but it's nowhere near as bad as the other programs I mentioned. I know plenty of people who did Touro and got high GPAs in graduate school in name schools.

For the record I don't think you should lump together tti bulka and sara schnirer. I went to bulkas undergrad program and I wrote quite a few long reports. Many 6-7 pages and a 30 page capstone.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 8:28 pm
amother wrote:
For the record I don't think you should lump together tti bulka and sara schnirer. I went to bulkas undergrad program and I wrote quite a few long reports. Many 6-7 pages and a 30 page capstone.

Saw this post and had to chime in.
Really? I had friends who went to Bulka and they complained about how large a workload they had when they were trying to get a 4 year degree in 1-2 years (if you count seminary), which should imply either a major workload or a simplistic program. Their "crazy workload"? 2 papers due in the same week (not assigned that week either) and each was 2-3 pages each. Double spaced. I had more in high school.
You are trying to effectively do 3 years of work in one year. 90 credits theoretically, or 45 a semester (15 a semester times 2 semesters times 4 years gives you the magical 120). Regular colleges have 15 or 20+ page papers for EACH class. (Ok, not chemistry, but most liberal arts classes). They say estimate at least an hour a week of studying/papers per credit hour, and a credit hour is one hour of class time. That's 45 credits a semester=45 class hours a week. Plus a minimum of 45 homework hours a week. 90 hours devoted to school. A week. How is that possible?
Does Bulka have that?

summer0808

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 11:49 am
amother are you still watching this? As a CPA I have a different take on the matter. let's say you do the schooling and the review courses for the CPA and the exam. How in the world are you planning on working full time plus tax season?????

Accounting is great for me. I have my own practice WAHM but I started young and the years that I had kids close and young were a killer and that was with working part time already (after I did my full time). what are you planning to do?

BUT the majority of accounting jobs are full full time. I am one of the exception with my work setup. It's not like the therapies that you can work part time by the case.

Tova

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 11:59 am
Fellow CPA here. Not all CPA's/accountants work in tax. I now work in a field with no busy season (although I did previously work in tax).

amother

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 3:38 pm
At Brooklyn College there is, besides Hillel, a day care from their education center and the fees can be as low as 5$ a week for qualifying students.
So if you go to Brooklyn College there is an option of a very cheap day care
See their website http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/w.....c.php
And the Brooklyn College day care is from 4 months old, so it's pretty cool. I know it's not a Jewish day care, but you can always bring them kosher food and you will be right next to them.

srbmom

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 5:39 pm
My husband got into one of the top Masters degree programs in the country for his field with a degree from TTI. I think to make a genral statement regarding the school makes no sense.
Are you going on to get a masters, do u have other things on your resume that would be considered beneficial to a future school or employer, do u have previous/other credits from other institutions? There are so many things to consider .
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics