Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood - anyone still school-less?
  Previous  1  2  3   19  20  21  Next

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 7:49 pm
I heard that they finally got a teacher lined up. Not sure for English or Hebrew. Her name is Ms Nueman

amotherof3

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 8:19 pm
Ms or Mrs?

tweek

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:11 pm
amother wrote:
My DR is actually going to that new school. From what I heard of the parent body it will be a great group. They are targeting to be along the lines of Bais Faiga, but just smaller.
I know that the administrator is being selective a bit and supposedly they have already said no to a few applicants (I know of one personally).

There you have it! Being selective and already saying no to people..........

Thats all ittakes. Another great school in the making!!!!

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:17 pm
tweek wrote:
There you have it! Being selective and already saying no to people..........

Thats all ittakes. Another great school in the making!!!!

Accepting everyone who applies would not make it a great school. It would probably be a pretty dysfunctional school in fact.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:49 pm
I am the op whos daughters accecptance was taken away. BH we got accepted to a very good h.s. We were accepted in June. However, there are still many girls without a h.s

tweek

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:09 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Accepting everyone who applies would not make it a great school. It would probably be a pretty dysfunctional school in fact.

Of course! I was just pointing out how ironic it is that this is the first concrete thing that is mentioned to prove that it is a good school in a thread that is about the problem of school acceptance!

Emotional

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 11:47 am
tweek wrote:
Of course! I was just pointing out how ironic it is that this is the first concrete thing that is mentioned to prove that it is a good school in a thread that is about the problem of school acceptance!

There is nothing wrong with a school having some standards for acceptance.
The question is, are their standards different than everyone else's? Is it all about the right "look"? If this is just going to become a photocopy of all the other schools, it doesn't solve anything.

Barbara

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 11:56 am
Emotional wrote:
The question is, are their standards different than everyone else's? Is it all about the right "look"? If this is just going to become a photocopy of all the other schools, it doesn't solve anything.

Assuming that we are talking about a child going into kindergarten, what standard do you think is acceptable? Or, put another way, what are the bases upon which you think its OK to reject a 5 year old from a school?

Barbara

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 11:57 am
amother wrote:
I am the op whos daughters accecptance was taken away. BH we got accepted to a very good h.s. We were accepted in June. However, there are still many girls without a h.s

Thanks for the update; I'm happy and relieved that she's in a school that you and she are happy with.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:03 pm
Barbara wrote:
Assuming that we are talking about a child going into kindergarten, what standard do you think is acceptable? Or, put another way, what are the bases upon which you think its OK to reject a 5 year old from a school?

Barbara, it's not 5 year olds that are rejected; It's their 21+ year old parents who are told "you are not for our school".

This is my first post on this thread, so I'm just explaining the above without saying it's ok.

ETA: Schools have standards. A friend of mine moved to Lakewood a few years ago and was told by a certain school that they will be happy to accept her girls if she cuts her wig short and her girls start wearing tights. Since this was not her standard, she found (B"H) a different school to send her daughters to.

Just an example. But often it's not so clear-cut.

Last edited by Chayalle on Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:05 pm
Barbara wrote:

If the school does not have the resources to properly educate that child.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:06 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
If the school does not have the resources to properly educate that child.

True, this does happen and is a basis on which the child is not a good fit for the school.

Other times, it's the family that is not a good fit for whatever reason.

In many cases, it's simply a space issue.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:08 pm
Chayalle wrote:
True, this does happen and is a basis on which the child is not a good fit for the school.

Other times, it's the family that is not a good fit for whatever reason.

In many cases, it's simply a space issue.

Space is a resource Smile

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:09 pm
Emotional wrote:

Emotional, every single school that opens will say that they are going to be like another, successful school that is already in existence.

The reality is, they will end up forming their own identity, which will be based on who the staff is and on the student/parent body they end up with.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:10 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Space is a resource Smile

You got me on that one. True.

Emotional

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:26 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Emotional, every single school that opens will say that they are going to be like another, successful school that is already in existence.

The reality is, they will end up forming their own identity, which will be based on who the staff is and on the student/parent body they end up with.

What I mean is - giving priority to kollel families when working families are just as precious to G-d.
What I mean is - not calling every neighbor under the sun in search of ridiculous reasons to reject a child.
A woman down the block from me sends her sons to a certain school. They were accepted no problem. Do they know that this woman wears short skirts with a slit up to her you-know-what?
And yet another neighbor of mine didn't get her daughter into high school and the reason told to her by the principal was:
"Because we found out your husband wears cufflinks".
Gosh I hope I won't have a hard time getting my daughter into high school in a couple of years. They might find out I wear underwear.

Tova

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:43 pm
Emotional, I'm shocked. Please please tell me this isn't true. Just spent a lovely couple of days in the Lakewood area, PLEEEEASE tell me that is not the reality.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:43 pm
My son is not in a yeshiva yet either, we did not get into the school of our choice and recently we were asked to come to an interview of another school and when they called my sons kindergarten teacher she had the audacity to tell them maybe he should be evaluated, not sure but he is so small. (my son is short).
I had a conversation several times throughout the year and she never mentioned any reason for concern and told me yes he is 100% ready for Yeshiva.
I confronted her and actually yelled at her about the conversation she has with the school and she kind of denied it and said I wish you wouldve warned me that they would call and I said I did leave you several messages and you never bothered calling me back.
I have so much anger toward this brainless teacher because she caused doubts.
We were told we are 70% in but that can become zero at any time too. Were holding our breath but I can say I feel for each and every one of you.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:47 pm
Hugs to you all Sad

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 1:48 pm
Emotional wrote:
What I mean is - giving priority to kollel families when working families are just as precious to G-d.
What I mean is - not calling every neighbor under the sun in search of ridiculous reasons to reject a child.

ITA with this.

Emotional wrote:

A woman down the block from me sends her sons to a certain school. They were accepted no problem. Do they know that this woman wears short skirts with a slit up to her you-know-what?

She's lucky to have neighbors who don't engage in L"H campaigns. A relative of mine wasn't accepted to school because her oh-so-holy-and-connected neighbor bad-mouthed her. That wonderful person may have a rude shock when she gets upstairs after 120.

When I met the principal of DD's school and she asked me about my neighbor, I said wonderful things about her (and completely avoided the topic of skirt lengths). The child was accepted. I don't know who gets the credit, but I did nothing to prevent it.

Emotional wrote:

And yet another neighbor of mine didn't get her daughter into high school and the reason told to her by the principal was:
"Because we found out your husband wears cufflinks".

Don't believe everything you hear. People who are upset don't always reflect the reality. I've heard of more than one not-so-close-to-the-truth told by someone who was upset at a school for not accepting their child. I'm not saying the real reason was a good one - but I find it hard to believe that a high school didn't accept a girl and gave that as the reason.
Page 2 of 21   Previous  1  2  3   19  20  21  Next Recent Topics